After Almost 4 Years, My House Is Making A Lot Of Noise And Walls Cracking

I know they settle for a year or so, but all has been very quiet until this past month. Now daily (and many times in the night), the house is making very loud popping noises and I'm finding hairline cracks everywhere. Gaps are opening around door frames and we are getting roof leaks.

Thank god I'm only renting this place, but I'm a little worried as I've never seen this happen so much on an older property.

Any construction pros care to chime in? Is the ground under me giving way, or was the house built poorly (or both)?

I know they settle for a year or so, but all has been very quiet until this past month. Now daily (and many times in the night), the house is making very loud popping noises and I'm finding hairline cracks everywhere. Gaps are opening around door frames and we are getting roof leaks.

Thank god I'm only renting this place, but I'm a little worried as I've never seen this happen so much on an older property.

Any construction pros care to chime in? Is the ground under me giving way, or was the house built poorly (or both)?

Depends on how the structure was designed and constructed.

If cracks start to appear at columns and beams, get out fast, as this is a sign of structural failure.

If top of columns at roof level are not tied together with beams, there can be a danger the roof will collapse - probably the source of sounds. All you need is strong wind and heavy rain to tip the stability.

Doors not fitting and roof leaks, something very serious is happening to the very structure of the building.

Do as Trogers suggests and vacate the house as fast as you can.

Agredd

A good structural engineer should be able to identify source but as you dont ownMOVE

It coud be the above settlement due to subsidence defective materials workmanship or seismic activity etc

Anyone recommended a structural engineer? I'd like to have it looked at (with a quickness) before I fled. It's quite the cozy house.

Agredd

A good structural engineer should be able to identify source but as you dont ownMOVE

It coud be the above settlement due to subsidence defective materials workmanship or seismic activity etc

Anyone recommended a structural engineer? I'd like to have it looked at (with a quickness) before I fled. It's quite the cozy house.

Used them for structural testing in a few condo projects.

http://www.sts.co.th/about.htm

Agredd

Used them for structural testing in a few condo projects.

http://www.sts.co.th/about.htm

Thanks.

There could be many reasons.

Is it pier and beam construction or built on a slab?

It could be reactive soils ,usually these are clays that expand and contract with moisture content.

Some house will just pop if the masonary walls and slab gets hot thru the day and as it cools at night ,it contracts - but the best advice is like some of the others have suggested is get a structural engineer or get the owner to get a structural engineer .

Also,as a precaution, check the small print on your contents insurance just in case the worst happens.

Your description of the sounds, cracks and door jams are symptomatic of foundation failure. Many causes of foundation failure but the result is all the same an unlivable structure. The sounds you are describing typical of the metal structures popping apart inside the concrete because the foundation has failed resulting in damaged door frames and wall cracks. Glad to hear you are renting!

But why is this happening now and not before? Most houses anywhere will finish settling in about a year or a cycle of seasons.

Sounds to me like it could be the water table being drained.

As its a rental, I'd pay the owner a month and get out now before it crashes on your head when you're sleeping.

"But why is this happening now and not before?

Most houses anywhere will finish settling in about a year or a cycle of seasons.

Sounds to me like it could be the water table being drained.

As its a rental, I'd pay the owner a month and get out now before it crashes on your head when you're sleeping. "

I was going to say pretty much the same thing, possibly ground water being drained.

If you are in a Moo Ban where many of the other houses were built by the same builder at the same time, ask them if they are experiencing the same thing.

Also, see if your house, rather than settling, is titling, as one friend's house is doing. Titling like you would not believe. Balls will roll across the floor. Doors will open on their own. Doors no longer close well.

In either case, it is best to look elsewhere. Where ever you are, there is a lot of vacant property in the neighborhood.

Same thing happened to me at a rented house in Prachachen, the kitchen was an add on and over the months cracks got bigger, doors wouldnt open, window panes cracked, but funnily enough I didnt hear any noises.

When I began to see daylight through the wall cracks I told the landlord that I was leaving. He then tore down the whole kitchen and had to lay new deep foundations and start again