How Do I Travel To Kanchanaburi?

newtaraday

First get to Bangkok, then head for the southern bus terminal. It's quite a distance from the aiport - you have to cross the river over Phra Pinklao Bridge. You could pick up an airport bus to Khao San, that gets you closer to the bridge and then taxi or local bus to the bus/train station if your interested in saving money.

Aircon buses run every 15-20 minutes for about 80 baht. An even cheaper option is the train which is about 24 Baht, these don't run often 1 early morning and again at lunchtime. It takes twice as long as the bus but it's a much more beautiful journey. To get the train you need to head for Bangkok Noi station which is in the same area as Pinklao bridge.

Have a good journey

• 1 month later...
You'd have to be a brave man to take the train to Kanchanaburi...! 5+ hours, third class only (no windows, no fans, no air con, VERY uncomfortable) NO THANKS!

Take the bus from BKK, it costs ONE POUND! (79 Baht)

Let's be fair, there are windows but they don't have any glass. Doors tend to be optional too. I took the 3rd class train (carriage?) Bangkok to Hua Hin a few years ago. It was my third day ever in Thailand and I enjoyed every moment. It was great to see the countryside, the people, and the sellers bring their wares onto the train at every opportunity.

I know the best option (the bus) has been offered.

You can also get the Air-con bus from Mo-Chit or the Mini-van to Suphan-buri, enjoy the food there and get a bus to Kanchanaburi then next day.

You will also be able to enjoy some of the sights of rural Thailand without travelling too far or expensively.

:o

• 1 month later...

Once your in Bangkok, you can get airport bus from airport to khao san for 100 baht, it'll drop yopu off near the Princes hotel, outside there they do minibuses for 80-100 baht to Kanchanburi, and they will take you to the main guesthouse areas as well. :o

You'd have to be a brave man to take the train to Kanchanaburi...! 5+ hours, third class only (no windows, no fans, no air con, VERY uncomfortable) NO THANKS!

Take the bus from BKK, it costs ONE POUND! (79 Baht)

Train normally only takes 3 hours you must have been unlucky. Windows normally have glass, but you cant see it as they are always down (open).

Train leaves 2 times a day

once at 07:35 am arrival (maybe) at 10:51 in Kan.

2nd train leaves at 01:45pm and gets in at 04:31 pm

But yes to the bus,

1st class air con (81) from the bus station about 79 baht leaving every 15 mins.

from 05:30 am to 10:30pm

2nd class air con bus (81) (no toilet on board) 10 baht cheaper every 20 mins

from 05:10 am to 09:30pm

3rd class... dont bother take the train!

Ok hope that helps someone, times and prices are from an old website i made so may be out of date, not sure check if you wish to be sure.

Once your in Bangkok, you can get airport bus from airport to khao san for 100 baht, it'll drop yopu off near the Princes hotel, outside there they do minibuses for 80-100 baht to Kanchanburi, and they will take you to the main guesthouse areas as well. :o

Yes all the wonderful advice with time tables i gave before forget. The above is by far the easiest way to get here, forgot that one bkk, and you wont have to many israelis on them as they normaly seem to book through the cow shit road area only baaaa.

ohoo...

when you are a fulltime-smoker (same me),then the train is better...

i make the trip so 20times... is ok...

now i take only the 2h ride with PUBLIC-bus :D

but when you start in khaosan ,then the bus from there are chaeper>

you save the bus/tuk tuk to southern busstation(5-60baht) and the ride from kanbusstop to the guesthouse-area...(20baht)

so or so...

WELCOME :o

Edited by lung

The mini buses from Khao San are very cramped and very hot. The idea of being jammed in next to sweaty noisey Isrealis might not appeal.

As boatabike quite rightly said, most of the backpackers take the buses supplied straight from the khao san, this is a little bit further away and everytime I've been on there, air con, not very cramped and mostly Thai people.

This is why I gave the 80-100 baht price range, sometimes they try to stick the farang with 100 baht and not the 80 baht it is (though last time I went was last year).

They tried giving it the "farang have more luggage so we charge more line" until I pointed out that I only had a small bag with enough clothes for the weekend, cheeky sods. :o

• 2 months later...
Hi mates! May i know the cheapest way to travel to kanchanburi if i were to be travelin to tht region frm australia. Tks in advance for any help rendered

Take the bus to Kanchanaburi. Take the 7:20am train back. Windows open, cool in morning. Take a metered taxi across bridge. Experience LOS, don't go everywhere 1st class.

• 1 month later...

I went to Kanchanaburi by train in February this year and there are windows and fans in the carriages. The seats are hard and by the end of the trip you will be totally dirty and will smell appalling. Heaps of backpackers take the train and some of the landscape you will see is lovely. However, if I was to go again I would take the bus just for the sake of convenience, as I like to stay on Sukhumvit and the station to board the Kanchanaburi train is Thonburi, not Hua Lamphong.

Plus, there's loads of dog crap on the pavements outside Thonburi station, and I managed to smother my suitcase wheels in it despite doing my best to dodge the stuff.

Boatabike's info on the Kanchanaburi trains is pretty much spot on. There's 2 trips in a day, but I have slightly different times on the timetable that I obtained from Hua Lamphong - but do check as my timetable is probably already out of date. The phone number for this is (2) 220 4334.