Car Trouble

Hi all, im hoping some of you guys can point me in the right direction.

I bought a car last year but havent registered it in my name yet. (I bought it off my friend.) Its a 1999 Toyota.

Now the road tax and compulsory insurance are up for renewal, and i also need to register the car in my own name.

The car is registered in Hua Hin right now but it will be living in Phuket as of next week.

I need to know how to do all of the above as quickly as possible.

Hoping someone can help me out, and thans a lot if you can!!

Regards

You don't need to re-register it. Just go get an insurance for it in your name - insurance don't care who actually owns the car. Then you take your insurance and book to the motor office, get your "MOT" (takes max 30 seconds), pay your fee (around 1000 bt). A few minutes later you get your new tax sticker and that's that.

Ive got first class insurance. Can i use this for the tax, or does it need to be the compulsory crappy insurance?

The tax sticker is separate and has nothing to do with your insurance, but maybe your insurance agent will take pity on you and take you by the hand to the DOT to get your tax sticker.

Good luck

Indeed, i appreciate that tax has nothing to do with the insurance, however the car must have insurance before it can be taxed. What i want to know is that can i use my first class insurance to do so, or do i need the official Insurance sticker to do so?

Also, does this have to be done in Prachuab as the car is registered there, or can i do it in Bangkok as thats where i live?

Thanks for the help so far fella's.

evo, i believe you have to go back to hua hin and change the registration to phuket as thats where you live, then hit phuket and sort it out there, i maybe quite wrong on this but i dont think so...

You don't have to change the book to Phuket if you don't want to. You can change book to your and leave it reg. in HH. If comp. ins and reg. not paid up again just give to ins. agent. Now you can start to change to your name. I live up-country and veh. reg. in BKK. Letter conf. add. states I live up-country. Evey year just give book to ins. agent and new stickers come back in 2 days.

Changing the registration is not difficult if you have the right papers

signed by the previous owner.

If you both go the local Land Transport office, someone will walk you through what is needed.

Which will include a letter from immigration confirming where you live.

Better to get it sorted now, or you may have trouble selling the vehicle

latter on.

Ive got first class insurance. Can i use this for the tax, or does it need to be the compulsory crappy insurance?

The tax sticker is separate and has nothing to do with your insurance, but maybe your insurance agent will take pity on you and take you by the hand to the DOT to get your tax sticker.

Good luck

As I understand it, once a car enters its 6th year the insurer will not insure it under First Cass indemnity, a lesser class of insurance applies. The only exception is a Honda Accord which they will insure First Class for a total of 7 years. So I am told. Unless I have 1st Class insurance I will not drive in Thailand, so this means I have to trade up every 6th year it seems. Does anyone know whether or with whom one can purchase 1st Class Insurance for the life of a vehicle? Cheers...