Golf In Isaan

khun jim

I have played in Loei at army base and it was decent. I was wondering if there is any other good courses in area like udon or nong khai? Alsi are there any golfers there who like to play and any who have leagues or regular play.

chokdee, watdee

• Like 1

There are army golf courses at quite a few major towns or army camps in Issan. Most of these tend to be 9 hole courses - some with two sets of tees to make an option of going round twice and playing 18 holes.

Near myself there are 3 courses within a short drive, Buriram, Surin and an army camp near Panom Rung. In my opinion the Buriram course is the more interesting of the three.

You are welcome to play any of the army courses and some offer an annual membership.

You can also hire clubs at these courses.

They are strict on their golf shoe requirements and although they may hire out shoes they tend not to have Farang Size!

Also I had to file down the spikes on a new pair of shoes I had played twice with in Scotland, as the spikes were too long for the greens here.

18 hole Ubolrat Dam. Go 25 kms north of Khon Kaen towards Udon. Then turn left at the big dam sign. Another 25 kms straight down the road is the course.

The best one in Isaan is Victory Park, just outside of Nong Khai. 18 holes. Excellent and cheap.

Udon has 4 9 hole courses - Ban That, Lyon, 18 Kilo, and an army course.

The Railway Course in Khon Kaen. Go to the railway station and travel parallel to the lines in a southerly direction. It's about 500 metres up on the right. You have to cross over the railway line. Don't tip the caddy with cash - just a bag of glue or a bottle of paint thinner. Watch your balls here as the caddy will help herself to them.

Airport course at Khon Kaen - go to the army base near the airport - Lor Peht - 9-holes.

There is a Northern Isaan Golf Association, set up by falangs, which costs 500B per year and gets discounts at certain courses and restaurants/bars . PM me if you want some more info.

This Monday (4th April) the NIGA's are having a Texas Scramble at the 9 hole Nong Khai course, followed by Texas Burgers care of Don the Texan at Brendan & Noi's Riverside Cafe. There will be a darts competition as well.

On Tuesday morning(5th April) we're then all off for the medal day at Victory Park.

We're also planning on a 4/5 dayroad trip in May - taking in Loie and then heading north to Uttradit, which is supposed to have a really good course.

PM me if interested in the above. The more the merrier!!!

In Sisaket there is a new 9-hole but I dont know it's a good one or not , because i'm not playing.

I have played in Loei at army base and it was decent. I was wondering if there is any other good courses in area like udon or nong khai? Alsi are there any golfers there who like to play and any who have leagues or regular play.

chokdee, watdee

• Like 1

Rooks Korat about 20 km direction of Pak Thon Chai ( Can you buy some good solk too !)

Tiger club(army 9 holes course) 1 km direcction of Pak Thon Chai

Suranaree (army 9 holes course) in the centre of the town

Both army courses quit tricky and difficult.

Voyage in Sikiu 30 km south of Korat, absolutely nice

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I am in the process of putting together a book on isaan golf

check www.isaan-life.com

i have GPSed in the more than 30 courses in Isaan

If you want a real rip off play Victory Park in Nong Khai

500 baht weekdays for Thais

900 baht for foreigners

• Like 1

And there's a course just outside Sakhn Nakhon on the road to Udon, just near the junction to Nakhon Phanom inside the army base. Not ever played there and think it is a 9 holer, but looks nice and manicured from the perimeter fence. If anybody has played it, what was the verdict? :o

• Like 1

Hello all,

Has anybody played at Roi-et? It's situated between Roi-et and Mahasarakahm on the south side of the main road in an army barracks. We found it quite challenging with long carries over water, well kept, fast greens, good caddies, comfortable and clean locker rooms, decent food and very reasonably priced. The course had 18 tees and 10 greens! This was a new one on me and I've played for many years around the globe!

We also played Ubonlat Dam, 2 of the Udon courses and Victory which was very nice indeed and not a rip-off compared to Phuket and Samui.

Cheers, Happy

There are army golf courses at quite a few major towns or army camps in Issan. Most of these tend to be 9 hole courses - some with two sets of tees to make an option of going round twice and playing 18 holes.

Near myself there are 3 courses within a short drive, Buriram, Surin and an army camp near Panom Rung. In my opinion the Buriram course is the more interesting of the three.

You are welcome to play any of the army courses and some offer an annual membership.

You can also hire clubs at these courses.

They are strict on their golf shoe requirements and although they may hire out shoes they tend not to have Farang Size!

Also I had to file down the spikes on a new pair of shoes I had played twice with in Scotland, as the spikes were too long for the greens here.

Is there any information/links/directions you can provide for course near Panom Rung - thanks.

There is a new golf course just outside Khon Kaen called the Dan Koon Golf Course. Its west of Khon Kaen about 10km past the airport.

Save youself having to talk to the above.

The advice above is good & with no self interest still advise talk to either of the two chaps mentioned in my earlier post or you may end up 'lost_in_issan'.

They may also have info on other groups playing + are buggies available yet?etc etc :o

Many of the courses up here hire out clubs but remember your shoes.

If you are lucky enough to be a L H player and having difficulty finding clubs i have a set will part with them for a mere 7500baht. (PM me)

There are two 9 hole courses in Ubon. One on the army base in Warin Chamrap (just south of Moon river) and one at Sirindorn Dam, south east of Phibun Mangsahan, and 45 mins drive away.

I think the Sirindorn course is the nicest, but the army course is ok, nearby and cheap! :o

New course just opened in Khon Kaen (Very good) contact Little Duncan @ Leo's or Little Bryan @ Cheap Charlies.

Do the little people have the secret address?

CAn anyone here tell me where the new course is? I fancy a game - anyone else in Khon Kaen want to join me? Friday, Wednesday? :o

• 1 year later...
There are two 9 hole courses in Ubon. One on the army base in Warin Chamrap (just south of Moon river) and one at Sirindorn Dam, south east of Phibun Mangsahan, and 45 mins drive away.

I think the Sirindorn course is the nicest, but the army course is ok, nearby and cheap! :)

Actually Bergen there are four courses in Ubon! Three in the city and one at the Dam. I have blogged about these courses if anyone is interested. http://memock.wordpress.com/golf-in-ubon-&...บล/

• 2 weeks later...
In Sisaket there is a new 9-hole but I dont know it's a good one or not , because i'm not playing.

chokdee, watdee

this is more like a pitch and putt course .

I am in Loei city and would be interested in playing golf with anyone brave enough to play at Loei's infamously difficult course .

Barry:

I talked to you once at Loei as my wife and I were departing the course. Didn't know it was you at the time. I haven't played since that day but am getting the itch again.

I have bought some more golf balls so am ready for the infamously difficulty course again. Let me know when you guys are getting a group together. Send me a PM.

• 1 month later...

My mates and I play at Sisaket every week. It's OK. It is located at the Sports College.

1. Par 4 - Straight along Driving Range

2. Par 3 - Across back of Driving range

3. Par 4 - Down other side of driving range

4. Par 3 - over water

5. Par 5 - Long Dog leg Left

6. Par 5 - Long straight with 2 "gullies", and sand traps

7. Par 3 - over water

8. Par 4 - Left dog leg over water

9. Par 4 - Left dog leg

100 Baht per round. Can do 18 for same price. No Caddies. Limited club rental

Cheers!

Hello golfers,

I live in Korat and our group plays the courses around here. We drive once a week to Bonanza which is about a one and a half hour drive. i have been looking at my map of the area and see a golf course on highway 201 to Chaiyaphum. It is just past Chatturat. Anyone play this course????

Hit em straight,

rokit