Briton Killed In Phuket Bike Crash

george

Briton killed in Phuket bike crash

CHERNG TALAY, PHUKET: -- A successful British advertising director was killed when his motorbike smashed into a six-wheel truck in Cherng Talay in Phuket this afternoon.

Wayne David Maule, 56, was riding a Honda Click down Srisoonthorn Road towards Surin when the tragedy happened at about 1.15pm.

The truck driver said Mr Maule veered into his truck from the opposite lane near the Surin Plaza shopping center.

“I’m not sure whether he was drunk or he fell asleep,” he said.

“As soon as he came towards my truck, I was terrified and broke immediately.”

The driver said when he got out of his truck, Mr Maule’s bike was caught in the back wheels.

Mr Maule’s body was lying on the road behind.

“I knew he was dead,” he said. “I couldn’t bring myself to look at the body, I was so scared.”

A police investigation into the cause of the accident continues.

Mr Maule is understood to have retired to Phuket, following a successful career directing advertising.

In the past few years Mr Maule, who had made his home in Australia, had produced commercials for brands including Lexus, Surf and Qantas.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-10-27

"...as soon as he came towards my truck, I was terrified and broke immediately".....OR...."I saw this farang riding his motorcycle, behind me, minding his own business, with a smile on his face and either...... (1) I broke immediately for some unknown reason or (2) I decided to teach him a lesson and broke immediately...." (terrified of a motorcycle behind you as you are driving a 6-wheeler????....would you slam on the brakes or accelerate if someone was coming up behind you any way???....what danger might a 6-wheeler be in regardless, not even a dent???.......

"...as soon as he came towards my truck, I was terrified and broke immediately".....OR...."I saw this farang riding his motorcycle, behind me, minding his own business, with a smile on his face and either...... (1) I broke immediately for some unknown reason or (2) I decided to teach him a lesson and broke immediately...." (terrified of a motorcycle behind you as you are driving a 6-wheeler????....would you slam on the brakes or accelerate if someone was coming up behind you any way???....what danger might a 6-wheeler be in regardless, not even a dent???.......

Where does it say the the motorbike was behind the truck?

It reads that the motorbike "veered into his truck from the opposite lane"

"As soon as he came TOWARDS my truck I was terrified and broke immediately"

Don't try to read into something which clearly isn't there - I would suggest a little more decorum at this sad time.

I can see how it's a bit confusing, but I think it was a head on. The "opposite lane" would have been the oncoming traffic, and the bike was caught in his rear wheels because he'd just run over it front on (and him RIP).

Surin would be a town, not the truck driver's name. That's where you were thrown.

Edited by harrycallahan

Dude he wasn't behind the truck if you read the original post.

mate......get a life!!!!!! hate reading crap from idiots like you

RIP to our Brit friend and condolences to his loved ones and friends

It's OK, the victim was a Brit so they have to blame the Thais.

Touche on the Brit thing, seems all the Brits I meet can't do no wrong and are better than everyone else. But on another note, was the guy wearing a helmet, if not, natural selection is at play here not bad Thai driving behavior, if yes, well, just really bad luck and my condolences.

Uninformed Juan Kerr as usual on this site

I have a great life here in Thailand thanks , please read the original post!!

The guy veered into the truck from the opposite lane ! You exemplify the smug attitude of most Brit idiots in Thailand. Please take the word "GREAT"

from your passports its so pas-say. RIP to the guy and condolences but get real, you ride a bike in Thailand, you takes your chances. STOP BLAMING THE THAIS FOR YOUR MISTAKES.

You have a good imagination, try writing fiction novels.

nasty accident. was going to spout some drivel about living for today and not worrying so much about saving for retirement. I see all too many people saving all their working lives and having it cut short. clearly there is a balance to be struck here.

Good point, my friend. Thank you.

I live near to the accident site. My friend saw the accident happen right in front of her shop. She says that the Brit was riding his motorbike with a helmet. He attempted to overtake another vehicle up an incline and collided with the truck when he was on the wrong side of the road.

rest in peace, my condolences to his family and friends.

He will not be the only one for the next month, there are people dying on streets here every single day, mostly due to speeding or hard-nosed driving.

Problem is Thais dont think what CAN be happend BEFORE it happend.

Never saw so many accidents before in my life like I see in Thailand in a week.....I dont say it was the Truckdrivers fault, finally he not just run away like it is Thaistyle normally.

It's amazing, sad and sickening how the anti Brit brigade here on ThaiVisa will use any opportunity, no matter how inappropriate, to get their dirty, sordid little digs in.

RIP to the poor guy and condolences to his friends and family.

The true cause will most likely never be known.

I live near to the accident site. My friend saw the accident happen right in front of her shop. She says that the Brit was riding his motorbike with a helmet. He attempted to overtake another vehicle up an incline and collided with the truck when he was on the wrong side of the road.

So sad, if this is indeed what transpired, then for the sake of a few seconds he sacrificed his life. RIP and condolences to family and friends. Motorcyclists please take heed! get there a few minutes later.....but you are still alive.

I have a great life here in Thailand thanks , please read the original post!!

The guy veered into the truck from the opposite lane ! You exemplify the smug attitude of most Brit idiots in Thailand. Please take the word "GREAT"

from your passports its so pas-say. RIP to the guy and condolences but get real, you ride a bike in Thailand, you takes your chances. STOP BLAMING THE THAIS FOR YOUR MISTAKES.

CMDREAM : Every comment you have made thus far on this topic is unjust and out of order - you should be ashamed of yourself. If your ever in Phuket PM I would love to have an open discussion with you, you sound like someone who has some underlying issues - Maybe you just need a cuddle :)

R.I.P and condolences to the family and friends.

Choppy

Edited by choppychugger

Dude he wasn't behind the truck if you read the original post.

Congratulations for making the most stupid comment that I have ever read on Thai visa.

RIP to the victim and condolences to the family.

Cheers, Rick

Touche on the Brit thing, seems all the Brits I meet can't do no wrong and are better than everyone else. But on another note, was the guy wearing a helmet, if not, natural selection is at play here not bad Thai driving behavior, if yes, well, just really bad luck and my condolences.

Again another pointless comment!! What the hel_l do you mean " natural selection " ??!!??

I doubt a helmet would have protected this person, given the severity of the incident.

Please have some respect and leave these comments out !

choppy

Touche on the Brit thing, seems all the Brits I meet can't do no wrong and are better than everyone else.

Now I'm confused, that's a double negative so I suppose it means that all Brits do only good!

Another excuse for the anti Brit comments. Forget the fact that someone is dead. forget the fact that the 3rd post is absolute nonsense. Just make out that Brits have decided to blame the Thais for everything that has ever gone wrong.

ThaiVisa - if you are going to allow this constant Brit bashing on numerous posts you should advertise yourself as a no Brit community. Then and only then will the Thais not be blamed for anything and you can listen to the wittering of bar stool lawyers, detectives, economists, financial experts from across the pond who obviously know everything there is to know about everything that ever happens and never put a foot or a word wrong.

1st of all Rest in Peace! And second if this what's wrote here isn't trolling,what is..

It's amazing, sad and sickening how the anti Brit brigade here on ThaiVisa will use any opportunity, no matter how inappropriate, to get their dirty, sordid little digs in.

RIP to the poor guy and condolences to his friends and family.

The true cause will most likely never be known.

Ditto.

Another excuse for the anti Brit comments. Forget the fact that someone is dead. forget the fact that the 3rd post is absolute nonsense. Just make out that Brits have decided to blame the Thais for everything that has ever gone wrong.

ThaiVisa - if you are going to allow this constant Brit bashing on numerous posts you should advertise yourself as a no Brit community. Then and only then will the Thais not be blamed for anything and you can listen to the wittering of bar stool lawyers, detectives, economists, financial experts from across the pond who obviously know everything there is to know about everything that ever happens and never put a foot or a word wrong.

Get off your high horse and quit spitting the dummy! Look around on Thai Visa, there is blatant American bashing as well.