O-a Visa Extension

I'm sure that this question will have been asked before but, as every case is unique, I'm going to ask it anyway.

I am a UK citizen, 60 years of age, and have been in Thailand (Pattaya) since 05 October 2004.

I have an O-A 12 month visa, based on my status as a retiree. I just have to report to Immigration every 90 days - I don't have to leave and re-enter.

The visa has an 'M' code imprinted on it so is, in all likelihood, a multiple entry visa (although I have not used it as such).

The visa expiry date is 02 August 2005, which is one year from when it was issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

The entry stamp in my passport says that I am admitted until 04 October 2005.

If I am correct in my assumption that the visa is 'multiple entry' then, presumably, I could leave and re-enter Thailand any time, or times, prior to the expiry date. What would be the affect on my 'admitted until' date? A simplistic view would be that, as the visa is still valid, if I left and re-entered sometime in July 2005, I would then get an entry stamp valid until July 2006. This sounds far too good to be true and I'm sure that it can't be right. Unless you know differently ...

When I need to extend the visa, am I correct that this should be done in July - one month before the expiry date - or do I have until September to apply?

Any advice appreciated

DM :o

If you havn't already have a read of the topic O-A long stay arrival a little further down this page.

What i would do to be on the safe side (assuming it is a multiple entry you have) is exit Thailand in July after obtaining a single re-entry permit then re-enter and if they give you another years stay all well and good.

If for some reason they dont give you another years stay at least the remainder of this years stay will be protected by the re-entry permit.

Going out in July will also give you time to start the ball rolling in applying for the "renewal" of your "retirement" extension.

You say you dont like going out and back in but by doing it just the once in July you have the chance of another years stay without having to meet the requirements (funds/medical etc.)

Edit....one last thing if it is a single O-A the visa is dead in regards as to when you should reapply for renewal i.e apply in early Sept......If it is a multi O-A you have until 2nd August to nip out and back in,and if you fail to get a fresh years stay upon re-entry then apply as above in Sept.

Edited by thaiflyer1

What  i  would  do  to  be  on  the  safe  side  (assuming  it  is  a  multiple entry  you  have)  is  exit  Thailand  in July after  obtaining    a  single  re-entry  permit  then  re-enter  and  if  they  give  you  another  years  stay  all  well  and  good.

If  for  some  reason  they  dont  give  you  another  years  stay  at  least  the  remainder  of  this  years  stay  will  be  protected  by  the  re-entry  permit.

:o

.....Edit....one  last  thing  if  it  is  a  single O-A  the  visa  is  dead  in  regards  as  to  when  you  should  reapply  for  renewal  i.e  apply  in  early  Sept......If  it  is  a  multi  O-A  you  have  until  2nd  August  to  nip  out  and  back  in,and  if  you  fail  to  get a  fresh  years  stay  upon  re-entry  then  apply  as  above  in  Sept.

I agree that if it is a single entry O-A, then it is "all used up" once you have entered the country. But can I be just a little pedantic and ask that instead of using the word "renewal", what actually happens at the end of the first year is "extension of stay", and this must be done before the "admitted until" date. You can go to immigration after 11 months and they will give you a one year extension based on your original "admitted until" date - you won't lose a month by going early.

But can I be just a little pedantic and ask that instead of using the word "renewal", what actually happens at the end of the first year is "extension of stay",

RDN.........your comments fair enough, was just trying to put it in laymans terms.

Edited by thaiflyer1

I'm sure that this question will have been asked before but, as every case is unique, I'm going to ask it anyway.

I am a UK citizen, 60 years of age, and have been in Thailand (Pattaya) since 05 October 2004.

I have an O-A 12 month visa, based on my status as a retiree. I just have to report to Immigration every 90 days - I don't have to leave and re-enter.

The visa has an 'M' code imprinted on it so is, in all likelihood, a multiple entry visa (although I have not used it as such).

The visa expiry date is 02 August 2005, which is one year from when it was issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in London.

The entry stamp in my passport says that I am admitted until 04 October 2005.

If I am correct in my assumption that the visa is 'multiple entry' then, presumably, I could leave and re-enter Thailand any time, or times, prior to the expiry date.  What would be the affect on my 'admitted until' date?  A simplistic view would be that, as the visa is still valid, if I left and re-entered sometime in July 2005,  I would then get an entry stamp valid until July 2006.  This sounds far too good to be true and I'm sure that it can't be right.  Unless you know differently ...

When I need to extend the visa, am I correct that this should be done in July - one month before the expiry date - or do I have until September to apply?

Any advice appreciated

DM  :o

Hi Doctor,even tho as you say it sounds "too good to be true" that one can get another yrs.entry if said (re) entry is before the visa expiration date,that has nevertheless been the case with several MULTI entry OA visa holders posting on this forum.

Where is this "M" on your OA visa printed in? In mine,the entire word"Multiple"is written in the space provided between the words"good for___ journeys"

What sounds puzzling to me about your situation is that the embassy in London evidently didnt explain what this "M" meant,nor did they mention anything about the differences between a single or multi OA. (Both the price difference

and what you'll be getting for your money in terms of the privileges of either choice)

As far as needing a re-entry permit

if leaving/ entering BEFORE the visa expiration date(with a Multi OA),again its documented here that there are those who absolutely did not....but to be 100% certain Thai Flyer's advice (getting a single re entry permit anyway) would be the way to go......

Hi Doctor,even tho as you say it sounds "too good to be true" that one  can get another yrs.entry if said (re) entry is before the visa expiration date,that has nevertheless been the case with several MULTI entry OA visa holders posting on this forum.

Where is this "M" on your OA visa printed in ? In mine,the entire word"Multiple"is written in the space provided between the words"good for___ journeys"

What sounds puzzling to me about your situation is that the embassy in London evidently didnt explain what this "M" meant,nor did they mention anything about the differences between a single or multi OA. (Both the price difference

and what you'll be getting for your money in terms of the privileges of either choice)

As far as needing a re-entry permit

if leaving/ entering BEFORE the visa expiration date(with a Multi OA),again its documented here that there are those who absolutely did not....but to be 100% certain Thai Flyer's advice (getting a single re entry permit anyway) would be the way to go......

Hi

The 'M' on my visa stamp is directly beneath the legend 'No. of Entry'.

Also, under the legend 'Fee' is printed 90BRP, and I certainly remember paying £90 for the visa as it had to done with a postal order (cheques not accepted). I believe that this is (or was at the time) the fee for a multiple entry visa but this was certainly not made clear by the Embassy in London.

Although I found them quite helpful, once I had found the correct phone extension to call, there was the usual difficulty because of language. Of my many phonecalls, trying to sort out what they really needed in terms of documentation, I spoke to someone with a reasonable command of English on only one occasion. Not easy to sort out the subtleties of visa types on this basis - it's bad enough trying to find out what's what when you're talking to fellow ex-pats in English! I was just thankful that I got my 1 year stamp when entering at Don Muang as, apparently, this was at the discretion of the immigration bod behind the desk.

I think that the advice about getting a re-entry permit is sound and I shall certainly do this. I fancy a trip to Cambodia anyway as I want to visit Angkor so this would be a good reason for going.

Thanks for the advice

DM :o

I certainly remember paying £90 for the visa as it had to done with a postal order (cheques not accepted).  I believe that this is (or was at the time) the fee for a multiple entry visa but this was certainly not made clear by the Embassy in London. 

If you paid 90 pound its a multiple entry..........if you want double peace of mind get a single re-entry permit anyways. :o

Hi again,Doc M.,Judging by the description of your OA visa its become obvious to me that the ones issued in the UK dont look the same as the ones issued here at the consulates in the U.S. On mine, there's no indication as to how much is paid on the visa itself(only a "fee paid" stamp with Thai script above saying same) Also your "No. of entry" must be the same as "good for____journeys".Anyway,at least now you are certain that you indeed do have a multi and can plan accordingly

One more thing with the OA,I dont think its at the discretion of the Imm. officer upon arrival as to how long you'll be admitted for. If you would've gotten anything other than 365 days upon entry,as posted here on other OA related threads,a superior Thai Imm. officer should politely be asked for immediately.