One Way Ticket!?

Hi all again,

After reading my previous replies to the other posting about coming to Thailand and setting up business with only 120,000bht, I have decided to go back to the drawing board with a better idea but need a few answers from you guys to help me with this.

I am planning on coming to Thailand in July with the above amount and stay for about 2months if I can. Is it better for me to get a tourist visa before I leave the UK? and do I need to have a return flight ticket to proove my leaving of the country of Thailand when entering Thailand to the immigration control/customs? Also if I am there in Thailand for this amount of time, can I learn a TEFL somewhere in Chiang Mai while I am on my tourist visa or would I need to apply for another type of visa while in Thailand and get sponsership from the training company?

Thankyou.

Andy

Edited by Andy76

Obtain at least a tourist visa.

Normal airline requirement of onward ticket is if you do not have any visa as it is a requirement on the books for arrival stay without visa 30 day stamp. However some airlines (BA?) may want to see a r/t ticket. As discount tickets are often just a cheap in r/t as one way (or very little difference) I would buy r/t myself and have an escape plan if you find living here as a non tourist does not fit you.

Believe TEFL would be open to anyone with the money. Be aware school year here starts in May for public schools so you would not be getting into market at peak period after TEFL but if you have a degree and TEFL do not believe there would be any problem in finding some kind of employment.

I would not bring all your cash with you for several reasons - one of which is that you need a paper trail for most investment. Keep bank account and sign a wire transfer agreement so that you can access for transfer by fax or phone when/if you need it. Nationwide seems to be the choice in UK for low fees and with atm/debit card you can take out what you need, as you need it.

Good decision to rethink your plans.

I got turned away from check in at Heathrow a couple of yours ago for having no visa and a 1 way ticket. This was with Garuda, so it isnt just BA. Make sure you buy a ticket with a refundable return leg.

You can do the TEFL course on a tourist visa, and you wont have any trouble finding a job at all. Check out www.ajarn.com for job postings.

All the best, and good luck.