Connecting House To Electricity Supply

I'm about to start house construction, & need to bring electricity to the land, about 200m from main road with high tension power (the taller concrete poles, not the massive steel pylons). Next to our plot a farang has completed his house & there are 2 other neighbours. All of these are running cables from a nearby house via extension cables, but only getting 5 amp electricity. The local electricity office (San Kampeang, Chiang Mai) is saying that the 4 of us have to get together & buy the transformer from them & pay 150,000 total (including transformer) for them to connect us up. They tell us we have to sign a contract together for this, & if anyone else wants to build a house nearby they have to join the contract & pay each of us their share of that 150,000 bt. Then, if the govt pays for electriicty to be brought into the neighbourhood at a later date we will have the cost of the transformer refunded.

Does anyone know if this is normal procedure, or are we being fleeced.

btw, there are concrete posts for carrying the cables already running from the main road, along our access road as far as our plot of land.

I am in the same situation as you. I am building a house about 500 m from the nearest power lines. Mind you these power lines arent the one that go the other houses in the area, these are the transmission lines that go to the transformer. We also have enquired to the local electricity mob and got a couple of proposed solutions.

1. We buy enough of the smaller posts to get from the transformer to the start of our property (about 300 m from the house) and then use trees to reach the house where another post with metre must be purchased.

2. We canvess the other locals (all thais) in the area and have their tabian ban's changed to this new location to justify the govt/electricity board to put in another line to this area.

3. I purchase a transformer and run the line from the nearest point of the transmission lines. The price in your post was much more than I was quoted (50,000 baht).

Both options 1 and 2 will be of similar price. Option 2 is out as all the other locals wouldnt have 2 baht to their name.

One of the family has a contact at the electricity board so we are just waiting for some input from him.

I know it doesnt help your situation but just telling you that you are not alone.

Good Luck.

3.  I purchase a transformer and run the line from the nearest point of the transmission lines.  The price in your post was much more than I was quoted (50,000 baht).

Who would you be purchasing the transformer from? And if anything goes wrong with it, who is responsible for fixing it?

Asfar as I know, a 3 phase supply is around 150,000 depending on the distance. This is a deposit so if at a later date the gov put it in then you can get the deposit back. A single phase is around 30-50,000 with the same deal. You then can get 30,15 or 5 amp meters (have to pay again).

I've been told that if you do it this way then the gov is responsible for the up-keep. Best to check though as this is only what I've been told.

Cheers RC

Asfar as I know, a 3 phase supply is around 150,000 depending on the distance. This is a deposit so if at a later date the gov put it in then you can get the deposit back. A single phase is around 30-50,000 with the same deal. You then can get 30,15 or 5 amp meters (have to pay again).

I've been told that if you do it this way then the gov is responsible for the up-keep. Best to check though as this is only what I've been told.

Cheers RC

That sounds about what we've been told.

What's special about the 3 phase supply compared to the single phase. Expect to be running maximum of 2 a/c , but water heating by solar power.

Are they bringing in 220V or 440V?

Im trying to compare w/ US electic which may be a mistake but..

US you get 220V to your meter, then you split it to 110V for lights plugs etc.

100 Amp. svc to meter is typical.

So a US elec stove 220V will require 30 amp. breaker

Light and plugs 10 to 20 amp breakers ,depending on circuts

How do you transpose this to what you get here? Or can you?

I cant imagine running anything on 3 amps. even at 220V

Hopefully someone will be able and willing to respond to this.

Thanks

if the original poster has to buy a transformer then its 440 to 220 or 660 to 220 and the run of cables, if he is willing to wait until others build their houses then the others will pay for the run, the electric board expects us to pay for their electric runs and pay for their electric, its like a no win situation..

3 phase just gives you 3 live wires coming into your building, if you use loads of electric you need it..

a big transformer is 250,000baht, the transformers you buy from the electric company, if the area you are in builds up slowly then the electric company wil pay for all, never happens for us whiteys though :o

a big transformer is 250,000baht, the transformers you buy from the electric company, if the area you are in builds up slowly then the electric company wil pay for all, never happens for us whiteys though :o

As I said there's already 3 houses close by - 1 other farang, 1 Thai who is willing to contribute & 1 "no money, not interested". I'm thinking the electric people in san kampaeng (home of toxin) are seeing 2 farang & refusing to provide wthe electricity without cash upfront, regardless of Toxin's promise of electricity for everyone...

However , if they're going to put in a big transformer & maintain it, that may be better than the cheaper alternative of buying our own transformer just for the 3 houses interested. Has anyone gne this route?

Thanks

The electric here is 220-230v and it is not split. You have 220v at any outlet and do not require multi phase service for home equipment (like dryer or range). Also service is rated by meter 5/15/30 amp service but with a 15 amp meter you have up to 45 amps so this is normal service for even most air conditioned homes (which usually use gas for cooking).

Not sure where you got the 3 amps you speak about but normal upcountry home without air conditioning will only have a 5 amp electric meter - so at the 15 amps that allows they have over 3,000 watts of power available which is plenty to run a small refrigerator/TV/fans/lights. You will also find most lights here are florescent which is a huge savings in power usage.

:D:o WOW!!!

Is a 30 amp meter the largest meter that is available for a house? Are larger meters, say 60 amps available? :D

=jimmi,2005-04-04 12:10:25]

:D:o WOW!!!

Is a 30 amp meter the largest meter that is available for a house? Are larger meters, say 60 amps available? :D

A 30 amp meter provides 90 amps at 230 volts which is over 20,000 watts (VA)!!!

I give up - is the quote function kaput??

Edited by lopburi3

Thanks

The electric here is 220-230v and it is not split. You have 220v at any outlet and do not require multi phase service for home equipment (like dryer or range). Also service is rated by meter 5/15/30 amp service but with a 15 amp meter you have up to 45 amps so this is normal service for even most air conditioned homes (which usually use gas for cooking).

Not sure where you got the 3 amps you speak about but normal upcountry home without air conditioning will only have a 5 amp electric meter - so at the 15 amps that allows they have over 3,000 watts of power available which is plenty to run a small refrigerator/TV/fans/lights. You will also find most lights here are florescent which is a huge savings in power usage.

Thank you, most helpfull.

The local electricity office (San Kampeang, Chiang Mai) is saying that the 4 of us have to get together & buy the transformer from them & pay150,000 total (including transformer) for them to connect us up.

Sounds about right. We're being quoted about 130,000 plus for the transformer connected, plus poles, etc. in Sisaket.

Thanks alot for the replies. Off to the electicity office this morning to see what exactly they're doing for this 150,000 - and what we get back if they connect up the whole area later. So far, been going off what the other farang is telling me. Want to hear the full story myself.