Deportation For Medical Reasons?

For a person living in Thailand, either with a Thai wife or on a long term retirement visa, if that person should lose physical or mental capacities (i.e. stroke or alzheimer's), requiring permanent long term care, can or will the Thai authorities deport that person back to their home country from where they came from? Just curious, for a future that unfortunately may hit some of us.

Excellent topic and one that has been discussed only briefly before to my knowledge.

The current medical certificate requirements for one year extensions of stay are pretty lenient - some hospitals/clinics will give you the certificate without you even seeing the doctor :o . But if you were so physically or mentally incapacitated that you couldn't expect to pass an exam, what would you want to do? Would you want to be repatriated to die eventually in your country of origin, or would you rather pass away in the LoS?

Maybe this is a reason to get good medical cover - as another thread in the forum has mentioned. It might not cure the illness, but at least the fact that you are getting treatment might persuade the doctor to sign the certificate :D .

As for the yearly extensions requiring a genuine, thorough medical check-up... if that ever happened - and was enforced - there'd be plane loads of grumpy old men leaving Don Muang every day!

But I'm sure I read somewhere that spouses of Thais did not have to get a medical for their yearly extension. And I also thought there were visas specifically for people who wanted to come to Thailand for health reasons - i.e. they were already sick.

Maybe our visa experts can comment.

One of the reasons for extensions of ninety days each time is if your are physically unable to return to your home country unaided... Anyway, I was given 3 extensions based on my lousy state of health before I got my retirement visa, so I doubt they'll be plane loads of geriatrics on their way out unless maybe they have some communicable disease or are deemed insane and a danger to society, which is what the normal cert is all about, anyway.

But, it's a good question about what if we find ourselves without any funds or resources to take care of ourselves? What provisions, if any, does the government have for such cases?

My plan is to run out before my money does :o

But I'm sure I read somewhere that spouses of Thais did not have to get a medical for their yearly extension.

Last year, my first extension, I was asked for a medical certificate and had to go and get one.

This year, the same immigration officer, looked at the medical certificate and told me it was not needed to extend a spouse visa.

Who knows next year :o TIT :D

Last year, my first extension, I was asked for a medical certificate and had to go and get one.

This year, the same immigration officer, looked at the medical certificate and told me it was not needed to extend a spouse visa....

Perhaps they sent him on a training course? :o

From what I understand and have deducted is that the medical certification if very lenient as the screening is only for the six or seven medical conditions specifically outlined in the immigration code. There was a thread listing them last year when there was a long discussion regarding HIV as a possible deportation condition.

The excludable conditions are contagious diseases and alcoholism, I believe.

My take on all this is they would only exercise a medical condition exclusion if they wanted to get rid of you for some other reason.

>>>But if you were so physically or mentally incapacitated that you couldn't expect to pass an exam, what would you want to do? Would you want to be repatriated to die eventually in your country of origin, or would you rather pass away in the LoS?<<<

You may not have medical coverage in your home country, or you may have to re-apply if you've given up your permanent address over there.

<<<But, it's a good question about what if we find ourselves without any funds or resources to take care of ourselves?<<<

I would of thought you'd be told to leave, since you wouldn't have the available funds (i.e. 400,000 or 800,000 baht) to cover the yearly visa requirements, if all your money is going towards your treatment.

If you got something like alzheimer's, you wouldn't even have the capacity to answer simple questions in a yearly interview in front of immigration.

If you had something serious like cancer, and you survived it before immigration to Thailand, you may not be covered by medical insurance for any further occurrence of this illness in your new homeland.

By the sounds of some of the answers, Thai immigration may be quite leniant with regards to serious medical conditions. I'm no expert at this, but just trying to find some reactions to some of my queries. A catastrophic health condition can happen suddenly at any age.

>>>But if you were so physically or mentally incapacitated that you couldn't expect to pass an exam, what would you want to do? Would you want to be repatriated to die eventually in your country of origin, or would you rather pass away in the LoS?<<<

You may not have medical coverage in your home country, or you may have to re-apply if you've given up your permanent address over there.....

Yes, it has been reported that expats returning to the UK can no longer get normal National Health Service treatment. But someone else posted that if you are returning for ever, then you can. So you get a nasty illness in LoS, go back home saying "Please take me back, I really want to stay this time", get your illness sorted by the National Health and then bugger off again! This approach - as I recall - brought some pretty strong responses from some of our members :o .

- there'd be plane loads of grumpy old men leaving Don Muang every day!

you wouldn't even have the capacity to answer simple questions in a yearly interview in front of immigration.

I think both of these situations are already happening...!! :o

the former are the guys returning back to farangland from vacations... :D

and the latter...

anyone who faces an English-struggling Immigration offical... :D

Edited by sriracha john

Excellent topic and one that has been discussed only briefly before to my knowledge.

The current medical certificate requirements for one year extensions of stay are pretty lenient - some hospitals/clinics will give you the certificate without you even seeing the doctor :o . But if you were so physically or mentally incapacitated that you couldn't expect to pass an exam, what would you want to do? Would you want to be repatriated to die eventually in your country of origin, or would you rather pass away in the LoS?

Maybe this is a reason to get good medical cover - as another thread in the forum has mentioned. It might not cure the illness, but at least the fact that you are getting treatment might persuade the doctor to sign the certificate :D .

As for the yearly extensions requiring a genuine, thorough medical check-up... if that ever happened - and was enforced - there'd be plane loads of grumpy old men leaving Don Muang every day!

But I'm sure I read somewhere that spouses of Thais did not have to get a medical for their yearly extension. And  I also thought there were visas specifically for people who wanted to come to Thailand for health reasons - i.e. they were already sick.

Maybe our visa experts can comment.

Spouses of Thai's or carers of Thai children are not required to submit to a medical for extensions. The question for retiree's is whether they can fund the required treatment adequately.

Yes, it has been reported that expats returning to the UK can no longer get normal National Health Service treatment. But someone else posted that if you are returning for ever, then you can. So you get a nasty illness in LoS, go back home saying "Please take me back, I really want to stay this time", get your illness sorted by the National Health and then bugger off again! This approach - as I recall - brought some pretty strong responses from some of our members  .

How can you even suggest such a terrible act of dishonesty :o

Two friends of mine went back to the UK a few months ago. One had some form of wasting disease that couldn't be identified here.

As the ill one had been out of England for over 5 consequitive years, he had real trouble getting any form of medical assistance from the NHS (apparantly, the length of time used to be 7 years).

He is now receiving treatment, but it wasn't easy to get.