Father And Son

Hi, two visa questions I'd like some help with:

1) Son. My Thai wife and I have just moved back to Chiang Mai after several years in the States. Our son, now 4 years old, was born there and so far holds only US citizenship. On a previous visit an immigration officer mentioned that he would have no problem obtaining a 1-year visa since he is in the care of his mother. We didn't have time to work this out with the Thai embassy before coming here. Who can let me know the prospects and procedures for taking care of this while we're here (in Chiangmai). Or will working out Thai citizenship be simpler, and if so do we have to do that from the USA?

2) Yours truly. Settling down in Chiangmai, but employed and paid overseas. Thus no Thai visa or work permit, just a thirty-day entry stamp. I travel out of the country frequently anyway--every 4-5 weeks. It seems that I have two options: a) try to get a visa based on marriage to my wife (we registered in Chiangmai when we married here in '98), money in the bank, etc; or :o just keep going in and out of the country every few weeks and extend at the local daw maw when I need a few extra days. Questions: in the first instance, what kind of visa would apply to someone in my situation, and what fees to pay and steps to take when I would have to frequently exit and re-enter the country. In the second instance, are there any risks or downsides by simply going with the hassle-free (and $ free) thirty day permits one gets at the airport?

If this matters at all: neither of us has been involved in anything sketchy, she's a college-grad professional. Thanks.

I would do the citizenship process for son so he has a choice but be aware there is still government service requirement for male children - although by the time he is that old it may have changed. You should be able to work that out here and there are probably details if you search forum - or others that have done it may help.

What you should have obtained - and now should obtain - is a multi entry non immigrant O type visa (unless you are seeking PR status). Take a trip to Penang with marriage certificate/copy and copy of wife ID card. This allows 90 days stay each time you enter Thailand and there are no restrictions or address reporting requirements. With your job taking you out of country every few weeks this is the logical choice.

If you are after PR (permanent residence) status you presently require extension of stays of three years to even apply so in that case you would need to be shown supporting your Thai wife with money in the bank and that money should be shown to have foreign origin. If you do this you will also have to obtain a re entry permit and if ever in country longer than 90 days report your address. This must be applied for from a real visa so first step would be to get that non immigrant visa in any case.

Thirty day border runs is not a good path as you do not have much legal status with that and you have no need to do it. Get the non immigrant O and if you want an extension during the last 30 days of an entry (if you ever are here long enough).

Despite Lop's statement I think you will be lucky to get PR unless you have a job

and can show you are a regular Thai tax payer

Good luck anyway.

There have been some similar threads about citizenship for children of Thai parents

born overseas.

Do some searching.

It may be easier to deal with at the Thai Embassy in the US, showing your wife's

passport and your son's birth certificate.

At least the embassy staff will speak English, which is not a given over here,

they will also know the rules better than a village clerk here.