Myanmar Tourist Visa For Thai National

boink

I'm planning to visit Myanmar in December with a Thai friend from Chiang Mai. I'm finding conflicting info about whether or not he needs a visa. Does anyone know for sure, and have a link to a site in English or Thai with more info?

And, if a visa is required, is it possible to get it in Chiang Mai or will he need to go to the Myanmar Embassy in BKK?

Many thanks

I'm planning to visit Myanmar in December with a Thai friend from Chiang Mai. I'm finding conflicting info about whether or not he needs a visa. Does anyone know for sure, and have a link to a site in English or Thai with more info?

And, if a visa is required, is it possible to get it in Chiang Mai or will he need to go to the Myanmar Embassy in BKK?

Many thanks

I believe flying into Rangoon (if that is your point of port entry) you will need to obtain a Visa for your Thai friend.

Crossing land borders (Tachilek/Maesae) for example, you will not need a Visa, rather a permit that allows you to

stay within the day. You can obtain that border permit at the check point at a minimal cost.

If Chiang Mai has a Consulate General of Myanmar, it will be possible to get a visa issued there otherwise you will have

to get the visa in Bangkok (Sathorn road).

(do a google search; Myanmar embassy - Visa, it should detail which countries needs a visa)

• 2 years later...

@keeinau while things may have changed, Myanmar is different from the rest of ASEAN. Myanmar requires visas from most if not all ASEAN nationals and most nationals from other parts of the world. Similarly, ASEAN nations generally require a visa from Myanmar nationals for entry and some are very strict about Myanmar nationals entering their territories (Singapore and Malaysia in particular). Thais also require visas when flying into Myanmar.

Foreign and Thai nationals can get a 14-day permit to travel in Shan state only between the Thai and Chinese borders but a guide is required for trips outside of Tachileik and all visitors must return the way they came. In fact, their passports will be held at Myanmar immigration in Tachileik and thus it's not possible to fly to Yangon unless you obtain a proper visa in advance.