Action Shots At Night

sceadugenga

I took about 50 photos at last night's Loy Kratong festivities of which about half a dozen were "keepers" without doing considerable "Photo Shopping".

Is this one of the hardest types of photography? Getting children to stay still, in the light.

My camera has a lag while the flash recharges which didn't help things.

The balloons were probably the easiest subjects of the night!

post-38081-1257206094_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1257206114_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1257206137_thumb.jpg

post-38081-1257206178_thumb.jpg

At the risk of showing my age, in the old days (film) many a good camera allowed for second curtain flash sinc which makes capturing those moving objects in the dark easier while allowed the background to burn in.

What you can try is to open up the shutter for 30 seconds (tripod) and pop a separate flash at your subject during the exposure.

Perhaps some of the guys with the latest digital cameras can point you in the right direction.

Much like capturing fireworks, a tripod and long long exposure time is required. The flash during this long exposure will allow you to essentially paint your subject with light (kids) in the foreground while allowing the background enough time to be captured in greater detail.

You will have to play around with it to get the right balance.

Flash is tricky - and that's putting it mildly!

Getting the exposure and balance is a science.

Without knowing what camera and flash combination you use it's difficult to offer any advice. But here goes.

It's preferable to have an external flash gun. On camera flash allows little, if any, real control.

I use flash extensively, both in sunlight and at night. I always shoot in manual mode and adjust the flash in accordance with the prominence or otherwise I seek. i.e. fill-in or full separation.

I always set my shutter speed in accordance with the lens focal length i.e. 50mm lens is set at 1/60th (closest). The aperture setting is via the background reading. I then adjust the ISO to achieve exposure accuracy and flash reach. This latter action is important when determining the flash range. Then, as above, if I want fill-in balance I reduce the flash output by 2 stops. This illuminates the foreground subject and balances it with the overall image.

Modern Dslr's and external flashguns have ETTL auto flash which, again with control, equalise the scene quite wonderfully.

As "James" pointed out, second curtain synch is a good technique but somewhat tricky if flash is a mystery to you.

Conversely, if you're shooting with a compact and pop up flash all the above is rubbish!

Digital has made the issue somewhat easier in that you can experiment at your hearts content and see (immediately) what technique/settings work.

Hope this helped a little

Edited by The Vulcan

• 4 weeks later...