Thai Gangsters Demand Protection Money From Bar Owner

imaneggspurt

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most farang businesses in Thailand are hobby businesses that the owners lose money on. There is no way that they can pay some scumbag off - on top of what they are losing already.

Agree with "many". Definitely not "most". Unless you are only talking about sub 1 million Baht beer bars!

I have had a couple bar bars on Koh Samui for over 5 years now. I know many other farang bar and restaurant owners here. Whilst it is common for us to pay a monthly "fee" to the BIB, I have rarely heard of local mafia types attempting to extort cash. I pay a monthly fee and was told that if I had any problems, the BIB would sort it out. That and giving Samui's Finest a scotch when they pop in to see me and buying the annual, highly priced, tickets to the police charity Thai boxing evening.

However, it's a different story if you move into the areas where the local mafia of "influential" local families operate. For example, a German guy bought some jet skis and set himself up on Chewang beach. Whithin three days, all his jet skis mysteriously caught fire on the beach and his house was burgled and trashed. He retired from that business pretty smartish! :)

ex gf got regularly invite to a police station in chonburi province, she had a share in a pub. she solved the problem discretely each time

uncle of acquaintance lost his life in front of his hotel in CM, a bullet got him. was a problem among local chinese business dispute.

Isaan, Phuket etc is not much better, maybe worse. Isaan is surely less well reported.

Thailand is not a place to keep or show money.

You never know who is after you, the once with or without uniform.

I used to have a bar in Walking st and never paid one Bht to anybody including the BIB, I have many Expat friends who own bars and none of them pay anything as well and have never heard of any of them being threatened by the Thai Mafia either, some of the comments on this post is the biggest load of C**P I have ever seen, now as for being ripped of by the Thai wife/girlfriend or the cashier that's another story.

Absolutely normal. Any similar Thai business with any business experience in this country would factor in and probably negotiate the monthly protection payment before opening their store/restaurant/bar/tailor's/barbers....etc.

I used to have a bar in Walking st and never paid one Bht to anybody including the BIB, I have many Expat friends who own bars and none of them pay anything as well and have never heard of any of them being threatened by the Thai Mafia either, some of the comments on this post is the biggest load of C**P I have ever seen, now as for being ripped of by the Thai wife/girlfriend or the cashier that's another story.

I concur!

I have had a couple bar bars on Koh Samui for over 5 years now. I know many other farang bar and restaurant owners here. Whilst it is common for us to pay a monthly "fee" to the BIB, I have rarely heard of local mafia types attempting to extort cash. I pay a monthly fee and was told that if I had any problems, the BIB would sort it out. That and giving Samui's Finest a scotch when they pop in to see me and buying the annual, highly priced, tickets to the police charity Thai boxing evening.

The reason you didnt get hassle was probably because you paid the BIB, which is the normal thing to do. Some of these mafia types have links to the police and therefore know which businesses are and are not under Police protection.

Under no circumstances should anyone pay these mafia types direct. Pay the Police and get them to sort it out.

This type of Police payment goes on all over Thailand and certainly not only in the tourist areas nor particularly aimed at Farang owners.

Actually the usual levels of payment are not that great and easily within the overheads budget of most larger businesses, so the whole thing is not really as bad as it sounds.

I don't know the bar busniess caz I have no idea to run the bar. I would say to run a darkside business here ,you may find some gangsters. I recommend you guyz run a clean business with a better life. Here is not dangerous. I think living here is not bad. YOu need to know what business you gonna do here.To involve with policemen,that mean you have to pay more........Understand ???

Isn't prostitution illegal in Thailand? Aren't most bars offering girls for hire?

I find it strange how foreigners can come to a foreign country such as Thailand, become involved in the prostitution industry and then complain when other illegal entities want in on the action.

Leave these businesses to the Thais, or just deal with the extra payments.

Tell your pal to grow some balls....it may sound harsh, but thats the way it works.If a man cannot survive here what is the world coming to??? if you read this site...you hear all the same stories. its time to move form junior school to senior....

If people can not handle it here then stay away...easy STOP fe#$ing moneing.

Tell your pal to grow some balls....it may sound harsh, but thats the way it works.If a man cannot survive here what is the world coming to??? if you read this site...you hear all the same stories. its time to move form junior school to senior....

It's how you play the game,some people survive and some go under.

Edited by Dpolenz

It's how you play the game,some people survive and some go under.

have good connections is the main thing and be strong in attitude

I simply cannot believe how neieve some people can be to post where they ask a bar owner if he pays off anyone and he says no never has.Of course he will say that most people willnot admit to being corrupt unless they are perverse and see it as a something to be proud of. Also any bar owner at present will deny it also it is in their best interests not to let anyone know. They look at it like it is no one elses business. Even in foreign countries asians pay for protection in their communities or have problems.

With no insult or judgement intented I am amazed how many of you here survived as long as you have really.

Edited by lovelomsak

I simply cannot believe how neieve some people can be to post where they ask a bar owner if he pays off anyone and he says no never has.Of course he will say that most people willnot admit to being corrupt unless they are perverse and see it as a something to be proud of. Also any bar owner at present will deny it also it is in their best interests not to let anyone know. They look at it like it is no one elses business. Even in foreign countries asians pay for protection in their communities or have problems.

With no insult or judgement intented I am amazed how many of you here survived as long as you have really.

Surely the corrupt party is the collector and not the payer?

:)

Depends on how the bar operates and what goes on inside and for how long

Money can always bend the rules - you just need to know who and how much

If the bar plays by the rules then VERY little monies need to be paid UTM

• 8 months later...

Have been in the "entertainment" business for the last 15 years, either directly or indirectly, and out of my own experience I'd say that what you have seen is rather exceptional!

Haven't had anything like that ever happen to me, nor to my rather extensive amount of friends/acquaintances who are in the same business...

That is exactly my experience.

Well it says 62 have veiwed this, no comments ?....am i to assume its not worthy and is normal practice for thailand,...... :)

Dont know about the "normal" Thai guy threatening extorsion with death threats, I am sure the police will wish to know that someone is moving in on their actvities......er I mean someone is threatening a business owner with extorsion smile.gif.

My advice is dont pay any tea money except to the genuine Pattaya Police.

The going rate for example down Pattaya New Plaza (opposite Soi 8, Second road end) is 2,000 Baht per unit per month and look how many units are on that Soi.

Gangsters/mafia my arse!

The majority of them that come into a bar in Pattaya and demand anything whether it is politely or not politely are the soi rat informants to soi 9, the police informants, scum bags not mafia.