BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
imaneggspurt

Thai Gangsters Demand Protection Money From Bar Owner

From the many visits & people I have met in Patts , I thought this was "normal" that Security payments are to made to 'someone' to keep things running smoothly.

:)

Most farang businesses in Thailand are hobby businesses that the owners lose money on. There is no way that they can pay some scumbag off - on top of what they are losing already.

Most farang businesses in Thailand are hobby businesses that the owners lose money on. There is no way that they can pay some scumbag off - on top of what they are losing already.

Agree with "many". Definitely not "most". Unless you are only talking about sub 1 million Baht beer bars!

Sorry, you are right that it should be "many". I wrote that in a hurry when someone was waiting for me. :)

I have had a couple bar bars on Koh Samui for over 5 years now. I know many other farang bar and restaurant owners here. Whilst it is common for us to pay a monthly "fee" to the BIB, I have rarely heard of local mafia types attempting to extort cash. I pay a monthly fee and was told that if I had any problems, the BIB would sort it out. That and giving Samui's Finest a scotch when they pop in to see me and buying the annual, highly priced, tickets to the police charity Thai boxing evening.

However, it's a different story if you move into the areas where the local mafia of "influential" local families operate. For example, a German guy bought some jet skis and set himself up on Chewang beach. Whithin three days, all his jet skis mysteriously caught fire on the beach and his house was burgled and trashed. He retired from that business pretty smartish! :)

ex gf got regularly invite to a police station in chonburi province, she had a share in a pub. she solved the problem discretely each time

uncle of acquaintance lost his life in front of his hotel in CM, a bullet got him. was a problem among local chinese business dispute.

Isaan, Phuket etc is not much better, maybe worse. Isaan is surely less well reported.

Thailand is not a place to keep or show money.

You never know who is after you, the once with or without uniform.

I used to have a bar in Walking st and never paid one Bht to anybody including the BIB, I have many Expat friends who own bars and none of them pay anything as well and have never heard of any of them being threatened by the Thai Mafia either, some of the comments on this post is the biggest load of C**P I have ever seen, now as for being ripped of by the Thai wife/girlfriend or the cashier that's another story.

Absolutely normal. Any similar Thai business with any business experience in this country would factor in and probably negotiate the monthly protection payment before opening their store/restaurant/bar/tailor's/barbers....etc.

I used to have a bar in Walking st and never paid one Bht to anybody including the BIB, I have many Expat friends who own bars and none of them pay anything as well and have never heard of any of them being threatened by the Thai Mafia either, some of the comments on this post is the biggest load of C**P I have ever seen, now as for being ripped of by the Thai wife/girlfriend or the cashier that's another story.

I concur!

Asking them to smile for the hidden CCTV usually has a scurray away effect!!!

I have had a couple bar bars on Koh Samui for over 5 years now. I know many other farang bar and restaurant owners here. Whilst it is common for us to pay a monthly "fee" to the BIB, I have rarely heard of local mafia types attempting to extort cash. I pay a monthly fee and was told that if I had any problems, the BIB would sort it out. That and giving Samui's Finest a scotch when they pop in to see me and buying the annual, highly priced, tickets to the police charity Thai boxing evening.

The reason you didnt get hassle was probably because you paid the BIB, which is the normal thing to do. Some of these mafia types have links to the police and therefore know which businesses are and are not under Police protection.

Under no circumstances should anyone pay these mafia types direct. Pay the Police and get them to sort it out.

This type of Police payment goes on all over Thailand and certainly not only in the tourist areas nor particularly aimed at Farang owners.

Actually the usual levels of payment are not that great and easily within the overheads budget of most larger businesses, so the whole thing is not really as bad as it sounds.

A friend of mine owns a bar in Patters,asked her once if she pays anybody,she laughed and said to let them try and get a penny ,she has never been asked in 10 years.

I don't know the bar busniess caz I have no idea to run the bar. I would say to run a darkside business here ,you may find some gangsters. I recommend you guyz run a clean business with a better life. Here is not dangerous. I think living here is not bad. YOu need to know what business you gonna do here.To involve with policemen,that mean you have to pay more........Understand ???

A preemptive strike is in order.

He should welcome the thugs back to his place of business and........