Okay Supermarket - Cha Am

klikster

Sometimes when I'm driving around and see a sign I say to myself, "Yeah .. right!" That was pretty much the reaction the first time I drove past. Today, I decided to visit.

Wow! How wrong can I be! It started off with a pleasant young woman standing outside welcoming me to the store. Once inside, the Okay gets better. Great service, lots of western oriented goods, clean, orderly and excellent variety.

The produce I saw look very fresh. Nice variety of wines and beers. Good variety of seasonings, breads, meats, bacon, (frozen?). Canned soups, real mayo, good dairy selection. In some case when I remembered prices, the items were a bit cheaper than Tesco.

The last thing that happened says a lot. While checking out, the cashier told me that because I had bought 4 can of soup I got something free. Someone scurried away and brought back a handy soup bowl.

I chatted very briefly with a farang who seemed to be in charge. Nice guy.

I noticed a collection of picnic tables in a shady area out front. Seems a nice place to meet for a coffee or .. not sure what the rules are about drinking beer on premises?

The guy seems to have really done it right. I hope he prospers, couple of reasons. He deserves it, and I need a place like that to shop.

It's on the main road through Cha am, the one that runs from Phetkasem Rd to the beach, about half way. Also, their red bags are cool.

FYI, I have no personal involvement with that store nor any of the principles or employees.

No receipt. But a visit to the market should tell you that. Or maybe another shopper will shed some light.

I'm a bit confused by your comment about Market Villa. I don't like shopping there but it has more to do with crowds and traffic than prices.

I had always assume that sales tax is standard in non mom & pop shops. Your ".. almost as much as the food." comment seems to be over the top.

Three hours later and your receipt is gone; did you eat that too?!?! :)

Sorry, I meant Villa Market about the tax.....NOT Tesco in Market VILLAGE.

Shopped at Villa Market a few times without looking at the receipt, until one day after unpacking happened to do so and said "<deleted>?!?!".

I'm guessing it is an import tax, but not sure as it only says "Tax".

And yes, it was about the same price as the charges for food, not making it up.

Tesco in Market VILLAGE does not charge that much in taxes.

Ok, thanks.

Shopped at Villa Market a few times without looking at the receipt, until one day after unpacking happened to do so and said "<deleted>?!?!".

Ok, thanks.

I've never studied the receipt that closely when I go to Villa Market but I will definitely take a look next time. I can't imagine what tax there would be other than maybe the 7% VAT.

Ok, thanks.

I don't understand your rather sarcastic opening remark.

FWIW, I put away the items I bought and took the trash down the hall to the bin shortly after arriving home.

Needless to say, I won't be rummaging around for any more information that you request.

Ok, thanks.

I don't understand your rather sarcastic opening remark.

FWIW, I put away the items I bought and took the trash down the hall to the bin shortly after arriving home.

Needless to say, I won't be rummaging around for any more information that you request.

Please keep him there, he keeps coming up to the Chiangrai forum and causes problems.

Its a Dutch guy, opened a few years ago, has a reasonable selection of foreign goods but the prices are way too high compared to Makro etc or even other places in Cha am Hua Hin..never shop there since the price of one item was 420 baht and across the road a bit was 340 Baht, can guess where I went :)

• 3 weeks later...
Its a Dutch guy, opened a few years ago, has a reasonable selection of foreign goods but the prices are way too high compared to Makro etc or even other places in Cha am Hua Hin..never shop there since the price of one item was 420 baht and across the road a bit was 340 Baht, can guess where I went :)

Please tell me where Makro is in Cha-Am.

Having a shop myself I can only say if you base your business on being cheaper on every single product in your store than every other shop in town then you will loose money every time a customer walks in the door.

Show me one shop which does not have a single product which you can find cheaper somewhere else.

It's on the main road through Cha am, the one that runs from Phetkasem Rd to the beach, about half way.

Is that the road that hits Phetkasem at the traffic light?

Yes, that's the one.

That is great news! Hope they have some left when I get down there next week.....

It's on the main road through Cha am, the one that runs from Phetkasem Rd to the beach, about half way.

Is that the road that hits Phetkasem at the traffic light?

Turn right at the traffic light in the direction of the beach and drive about 400 meters. Okay is on the right side of the road.