Help: How To Get To The Gui From The Command Line:

JuniorExPat

Hi

Google doesn't seem to be my friend on this one, I'm hoping that TV will beat Google in coming to my rescue!

I have just taken delivery of an Acer Aspire 4736G laptop, it was sold with Linux as the OS; I expected to fire it up and have it present me with a user interface that would be at least nearly as intuitive as the GUIs that I'm used to from Windows and also from Ubuntu . . . not so:

Linpus Linux LiveCD Edition v9.2 b090313av2

[root@localhost /]#

Not what I was expecting! startx achieves nothing, shutdown -r now with an Ubuntu Live CD in the CD drive achieves nothing and seeing root on the screen makes me, as a Windows mollycoddled user(!), very nervous!

Help! My assumption was that if Acer delivered a machine with a Linux OS then that would mean that I could install Ubuntu in the knowledge that peripherals (drive, cam etc) would work okay under Linux or at least that I would be able to find suitable drivers.

If some kind soul here can guide me to getting the Linpus GUI working then I would hope that I can take it from there, if not then I guess I need someone to show me how to run the Ubuntu Live CD from the command line.

I know that the Ubuntu CD is good as I have used it for a desktop installation.

Many thanks in advance,

JxP

To boot Ubuntu Live Cd you must boot from the CD drive . Normal bios setup boots from Hard Disk . Press F2 or Del before after you powered the laptop and set the CD Drive as the first boot device . Did you tried using X in the terminal instead of StartX .

To boot Ubuntu Live Cd you must boot from the CD drive . Normal bios setup boots from Hard Disk . Press F2 or Del before after you powered the laptop and set the CD Drive as the first boot device . Did you tried using X in the terminal instead of StartX .

Tried x: command not found.

Changed the first boot device and we're cooking on gas, thank you very much.

JxP

its capital 'X' not 'x' .

Ah . . . oh well, Ubuntu 9.10 is now installed so I'll never know what I missed.

Ubuntu or Mint is a better option than the default linux from Acer .

Good news, thanks. Getting stuck into moving files, profiles etc across from the old Windows machine, trying to work out how to get the webcam running, etc.

Thanks for your help shriah, really appreciated . . . I think there's a strong chance that I could be back for more!

JxP

I have also a Acer notebook running Ubuntu 9.10 amd64, (to avoid confusion it is powered by a Intel Core2 Duo). I selected the 64-bit version mainly because it can access the full 4GB memory.

I also experience that programs running with Crossover Linux release 8.00 run more smooth, for example I use Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 and it finally runs like it would with MS Windows.

Also with the help of VMware Workstation 7, I'm able to run all Windows programs without exception...

For the Crystal Eye built-in webcam, it works without any additional settings in aMSN, Skype and a few more.. Currently Pidgin Messenger is bit behind on webcam support but I'm confident that this not takes much time...

I have also a Acer notebook running Ubuntu 9.10 amd64, (to avoid confusion it is powered by a Intel Core2 Duo). I selected the 64-bit version mainly because it can access the full 4GB memory.

I'm only vaguely aware of what that all means! I installed Ubuntu from a Live CD of an earlier version then upgraded to 9.10 via the update manager. I was not given a choice between any versions.

My machine is an Acer Aspire 4736G: Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz, 800 MHz FSB with 2 GB DDR3 memory and the NVIDIA GeForce G105M 512MBVRAM . . . do you think that I should have the 64 bit version of Ubuntu (assuming that I don't already(!))?

I also experience that programs running with Crossover Linux release 8.00 run more smooth, for example I use Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 and it finally runs like it would with MS Windows.

Also with the help of VMware Workstation 7, I'm able to run all Windows programs without exception...

I have spent some time and effort moving away from Windows/MS reliant software in favour of open source solutions (OpenOffice, FileZilla, GIMP, Songbird, Thunderbird, Firefox etc.) in the hope that it would make the move to Linux easier and release me from the bonds of MS(!).

For the Crystal Eye built-in webcam, it works without any additional settings in aMSN, Skype and a few more.. Currently Pidgin Messenger is bit behind on webcam support but I'm confident that this not takes much time...

My only use for the webcam is with Skype and I have no idea why it did not work initially and equally no idea why it is now working perfectly!

It would be great to have the fingerprint reader working, more for the novelty than anything else, but so far I have had no luck.

I'm busily tidying up my old hard drives and organising the files to transfer across to this new machine, fingers crossed that I'll be a fully fledged member of the Linux world in a couple of days time.

JxP

Hi JxP,

You likely not use the 64-bit version of Ubuntu, but feel not said, the 64-bit has no advantage for you. Basically 64-bits is only useful if you use more then 4GB memory.

The Crystal Eye webcam should work, but where did you get Skype from? Did you downloaded the Skype from skype.com or did you installed the Medibuntu repository?

Hi JxP,

You likely not use the 64-bit version of Ubuntu, but feel not said, the 64-bit has no advantage for you. Basically 64-bits is only useful if you use more then 4GB memory.

Okay, I'll not worry about that then, thanks.

The Crystal Eye webcam should work, but where did you get Skype from? Did you downloaded the Skype from skype.com or did you installed the Medibuntu repository?

It does work, very well in fact; it didn't work to begin with but after a couple of attempts and no particular input on my behalf it now works fine. Audio on the other hand is becoming quite a challenge, both output and input . . . keep your eyes peeled for a plea for help posting on that one!

JxP

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Richard i am still so glad for your help regarding VMWare, i am happy that now i can help you. At least i hope i can.

I guess/assume that you are using Pidgin for Yahoo messenger? It won't support a webcam.

However there is an application that will!

It is called "Gyache".

Sadly i know only how to get it on Jaunty but the same might work for Karmic?

Add these to the "sources" list in Synaptic:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/loell/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/loell/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

then, in terminal, "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get install gyachi" (yes "gyachi" with an "i" in the end, no typo)

I just did that yesterday on my boss' machine (converted him from his dog-slow Vista to Ubuntu Jaunty on Monday and finalized the install yesterday) and it works like charm with his Logitech QuickCam. I haven't put it on mine yet as i use neither Yahoo nor a webcam.....

Kind regards.....

Thanh