Report Of Trying To Renew My Thai Dl

Last week i tried to renew my thai driving license,i took 2 pics,copy of the visa page,copy of the photo page and my old thai DL,but was told it is not enough documents,they told me i need certificate of residence from the immigration,i thought "Wow"on the phone they didnt mention it,so i went to the immigration with the renting contract of my house where im living,Immigration said sorry this is not enough,they want to see the housepapers and id card of the owner from the house,the owner of the house is at the moment not reachable,so how to do??????And when is the last date i can renew my ThaiDL?I would be very thankful for any help

Same thing happened to me last week. Told this a new rule. However I have had just rental agreement certified. Never asked for anything else only 200 baht.

Where are you. I went to Pattaya.Thai licence expires on date on licence and if you want a 5 year one you will have to take all documents to Centre on that day. I went a day early and told I would have to come back if I wanted a 5 year. :o Try again and see if there is a new officer. 2 young lady clerks now do this in Pattaya instead of the surly uniformed immigration people. I think it's just luck on what policy is in effect on that day :D

Hi dragonman,i went to the DL ofice in Chonburi but went to the Immigration in Pattaya,so u mean u just took your renting contract to the Immigration?I have in all in thai language,signed by the owner,it says since when i stay there and how much rent i pay,but like i said Immigration in Pattaya said it is not enough

Hi dragonman,i went to the DL ofice in Chonburi but went to the Immigration in Pattaya,so u mean u just took your renting contract to the Immigration?I have in all in thai language,signed by the owner,it says since when i stay there and how much rent i pay,but like i said Immigration in Pattaya said it is not enough

Faranggerman, I got the residence certificate from Pattaya Immig. about 3 weeks ago and all i showed was the rental agreament. It seems that now theyre doing everything by the book. It was much easier before when the older lady was doing the Residance certificates.

Your other option is to go to your Embassy and get the certificate from there.

Suggest you see your friendly embassy and get a certificate of residence there against payment of the equivalent of 25 Euro.

Your name indicates that you are German. Fill in a simple form at the embassy featuring your name and your address of residence and have the certificate issued in about 20 minutes. No need to even show a renting contract. Place to go: German Embassy on Sathorn Road, Building No. 3, counter C.

When entering the embassy tell the Thai guy sitting at the receptionist desk that you need to get a certificate of residence issued (Wohnsitznachweis). This document with your embassy stamp should do the job to get your Thai driving license renewed (go for the 5 year option).

Good luck and don't mind the long queue presently lining up in front of the embassy due to the reconstruction work inside.

Edited by Richard Hall

Yeah probably need to go to Embassy. But it's incredibly inconvenient. This must be a new rule also as last time I produced rental agreement but have now purchased a house and showed mortgage book. Must say I would try to find a way around it. Like a new temporary residence at a friends house. :o

Suggest you see your friendly embassy and get a certificate of residence there against payment of the equivalent of 25 Euro.

Your name indicates that you are German. Fill in a simple form at the embassy featuring your name and your address of residence and have the certificate issued in about 20 minutes. No need to even show a renting contract. Place to go: German Embassy on Sathorn Road, Building No. 3, counter C.

When entering the embassy tell the Thai guy sitting at the receptionist desk that you need to get a certificate of residence issued (Wohnsitznachweis). This document with your embassy stamp should do the job to get your Thai driving license renewed (go for the 5 year option).

Good luck and don't mind the long queue presently lining up in front of the embassy due to the reconstruction work inside.

Hi Richard,thanks for ur answer,but i dont like that idea that much,first of all i live 20km outside Chonburi,to Sathorn it is about110km from here it takes about 2 to2.5 hours one way,the costs for that document are 1250baht +translation into thai about 500baht,im not a kinjao,but i think everything should have a limit,i wonder what guys are doing who are living in Condominium or rented or hotelroom for longterm,i really think there should be an easier and cheaper way to do that.

....I went to Pattaya.Thai licence expires on date on licence and if you want a 5 year one you will have to take all documents to Centre on that day. I went a day early and told I would have to come back if I wanted a 5 year. :o ...

It has been reported on Thaivisa, that in order to get a 5 year license, you must report to the Transport Office the day AFTER the license has expired, not on the day of expiry.

You can be sure that I will post a report on July 11th :D

....I went to Pattaya.Thai licence expires on date on licence and if you want a 5 year one you will have to take all documents to Centre on that day. I went a day early and told I would have to come back if I wanted a 5 year. :D ...

It has been reported on Thaivisa, that in order to get a 5 year license, you must report to the Transport Office the day AFTER the license has expired, not on the day of expiry.

You can be sure that I will post a report on July 11th :D

You must have held a Thai licence for MORE than one year to get the 5 year one.

Henc you apply after the first year has expired and then you get the 5 year.

It is called Thai Logic!! :o

Last week i tried to renew my thai driving license,i took 2 pics,copy of the visa page,copy of the photo page and my old thai DL,but was told it is not enough documents,they told me i need certificate of residence from the immigration,i thought "Wow"on the phone they didnt mention it,so i went to the immigration with the renting contract of my house where im living,Immigration said sorry this is not enough,they want to see the housepapers and id card of the owner from the house,the owner of the house is at the moment not reachable,so how to do??????And when is the last date i can renew my ThaiDL?I would be very thankful for any help

1. I am surprised at the new requirements for the DL.

2. On the immigration side you should have dealt with all the paperwork when you

did your 90 day reporting the first time!!

Once they have you on record, issuing the letter should he quick and easy.

Was told that if it's 2 April on licence then new licence will be issued on 2 April. When I went back on that date with my Immigration certificate had no problem.

Astral. If he has an O multiple like me he doesn't report.

Hi Dragonman,i went again today the DL office with a good Thaifriend,they asked for workpermit or if i dont have one for the that certificate of residence,im Non O 1yr multi holder,so after all i have to go to the embassy get that paper and then tranlate into thai,im just wondering,isnt there a law what says if i move i have to report to the immigration?So i didnt report so i would say it is logical that i still have the same addres,and they should have it in their computer,so i need to show the renting contract for what again,and why do they need the housepapers this time?Whatever,better shut up and do what they want,i know if i dont like it here i can go

...you apply after the first year has expired and then you get the 5 year.

It is called Thai Logic!!  :o

And the reward you get for driving to the Transport Office without a valid license is... they let you have new license valid for 5 years instead of one! :D

It's like a test - if you can get there without the boys in brown getting you, you win the 5 year license :D:D:D

Hi faranggerman. Doubt they have anything on computer.Only time I give any address is when I fill in my arrival card. By law you're supposed to advise immigration when you change address, but if everyone did who changed address on entry card they would be swamped.

Just glad I don't have the trouble for at least 5 years now. These idiotic rules just make things more difficult for farangs out here. Like why can't they do forms and notices in Thai and English in Pattaya? :o

Strange I have renewed my Thai driving licence 6 times. with only my old D/L and my passport. I only needed proof of residence on the first occation when I applied for the licence. The last time they issued me with a five year licence.

BTW I have always done this in the Pattaya licence centre both old and new. Never had a problem. I have always found them to be the best officials money can buy..........

Edited by RDN

mpdkorat. Some genius has only decided to implement in last 3 weeks.A case of a farangaphobic taking over, making things more difficult in order to make a bit of extra income. Must have the same performance related pay structure as I did as a manager with British Government :o and why I was glad to retire :D

wowwwww.i got it,i went again to Pattaya immigration,with the same papers i had last time,but different officer[an older lady,very nice]after 30min i got my certificate of residence,im happy ,but it really pisses me off that if u come to the wrong officer ,he will make ur day,same sh.. happened with my visa stuff,really boring,jajaja,if i dont like it i can go,!anyways thanks for the help

Strange I have renewed my Thai driving licence 6 times. with only my old D/L and my passport. I only needed proof of residence on the first occation when I applied for the licence. The last time they issued me with a five year licence.

Same here but this need for the certificate of residence upon renewal has been posted in a couple threads as being a new rule. Then again, requirements for a drivers license, both new and renewal, have been known to vary from office to office. I don't need to renew again until 2009. Who knows, the regulations may well have changed a dozen times between now and then. :o

RDN. You actually can have a form and your written test in UK in most of those languages, except Thai.They told me it's based on demand and I sure think there would be a great deal of demand in Pattaya. Really difficult with computers nowadays. :o I'd even be prepared to do it all for them, but know the Thai reply to smart farang suggestions! :D

...Like why can't they do forms and notices in Thai and English in Pattaya? :o

Yeah, like coz when I applied for my UK license, I had to tell 'em that I didn't want the Thai form, or German, or Italian, or Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Russian, Swahili..... :D:D:D

One could argue the same about immigration forms, but they are in Thai and English...........!!

...Like why can't they do forms and notices in Thai and English in Pattaya? :o

Yeah, like coz when I applied for my UK license, I had to tell 'em that I didn't want the Thai form, or German, or Italian, or Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Russian, Swahili..... :D:D:D

One could argue the same about immigration forms, but they are in Thai and English...........!!

Indeed one could :D . I can only assume that different departments give the English language forms a different priority. Or maybe the Transport Department realises that keeping forms in Thai only is one more reason for a farang to require the services of a Thai companion :D .

I have been told and am hoping that with a "Statement of Residency" from the US Embassy that I can avoid having to have all of the "Stuff" from my landlord, such as copies of their house papers, ID cards, ect...

I do have both a valid US DL and an International one... Plus 1year "OA" retirement visa...

Anyone care to comment???

Pianoman

Not really Mr. Pianoman, but...

If you live closer to an embassy than to an immigration office, it is easier to get the residence form from the embassy.

If you live closer to an immigration office than to an embassy, it is easier to get the residence form from the immigration office.

If you live closer to an immigration office than to an embassy you are lucky, because you save the western level oriented fees embassies charge. The amount you save might be enough to buy a nice pair of long pants. And you won't have to embarras the Thai people with your bare knees anymore.

All together we might conclude that it is much easier to obtain a driver license in Thailand than in Europe. As far as I know it is quite easy in America as well. At least you had driving-license-tourism from Europe to America. I don't know if that still exists.

Here in town we have an examination field of about two rai. One of the signs you are supposed to stop at is a warning for a railroad-crossing.

The friendly examinator tells you that it is a sign you have to stop at. Because the nearest railroad is more than twohundred kilometers from here. Tjoek-tjoek, tjoek-tjoek, tjoek-tjoek, ah.... railroad!

Keep to the left!

Oh yes, when I renewed my license last time, the old one, some photo's and some passportcopies did the trick.

I decided to take a motorcycle license as well. Before I thought all my licenses were marked on the one I got. But that was for cars only. At first the officer wanted to give me that one too, because my address was on the car license already. But after making some extra copies outside the officer was replaced by some else, who was not the kind of person to take any risks. So he wanted residence papers because it was the first application for amotorbicycle license.

So what.

PS. You only need a Thai license when you stay longer than three months in Thailand. If you have to do visa runs (every three months) you don't need one.

Indeed one could :o . I can only assume that different departments give the English language forms a different priority. Or maybe the Transport Department realises that keeping forms in Thai only is one more reason for a farang to require the services of a Thai companion :D .

In Ao Udom they are used to farangs and just ask me to sign the form.

They fill in the rest for me.

No need for a Thai gopher.

I have been told and am hoping that with a "Statement of Residency" from the US Embassy that I can avoid having to have all of the "Stuff" from my landlord, such as copies of their house papers, ID cards, ect...

I do have both a valid US DL and an International one...  Plus 1year "OA" retirement visa...

Anyone care to comment???

Pianoman

As long as it has you Thai address you will be fine.

However Limbo does have a point about the fees.

The immigration letter is free. How many arms and legs does the US embassy charge??

Not really Mr. Pianoman, but...

If you live closer to an embassy than to an immigration office, it is easier to get the residence form from the embassy.

If you live closer to an immigration office than to an embassy, it is easier to get the residence form from the immigration office.

If you live closer to an immigration office than to an embassy you are lucky, because you save the western level oriented fees embassies charge. The amount you save might be enough to buy a nice pair of long pants. And you won't have to embarras the Thai people with your bare knees anymore.

All together we might conclude that it is much easier to obtain a driver license in Thailand than in Europe. As far as I know it is quite easy in America as well. At least you had driving-license-tourism from Europe to America. I don't know if that still exists.

Here in town we have an examination field of about two rai. One of the signs you are supposed to stop at is a warning for a railroad-crossing.

The friendly examinator tells you that it is a sign you have to stop at. Because the nearest railroad is more than twohundred kilometers from here. Tjoek-tjoek, tjoek-tjoek, tjoek-tjoek, ah.... railroad!

Keep to the left!

Wow,cool mr.limbo.first of all in germany u make a Dl for lifetime,second,it does make many problems if they send u from A-Z,probably u have nothing better to do,or u live near an immigration,i would assume a bit more understanding from ur side would be a nice way that find some friends,have a nice day

Amazing Thailand -- the goal posts are continually moving in all areas where us longer term farang 'residence' are concerned. The powers that be are trying to keep better control and track of us.