Problems With Farangs Owning Boats,"longtails"

minefield

I intend to retire in Phuket in the new year and as I am a very keen boatie , Love sailing and just boating in general

I will admit I had my heart set on buying a longtail, As a retired builder and love playing around with motors I thought a longtail would be great to own ,"And something I could afford"

Now I find out through other forms that Thia's don't like farangs owning longtails in fact any type of small boat that they think may be taking away business from there own longtails, I have been told that others in runabouts out fishing have been approached by Thia's in there longtails asking if there passengers are paying customers, For me anyway if what I have been told is true it would take away the fun going fishing if you knew there was a resentment from the Thais every time you took you boat out.

I will admit it's starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth , So I am hoping that what has been related to me were one off cases, "Hoping"

One other thing that was imply ed was if i was to own a boat, I would be limited to where I can go in regard to out lying Islands or at least landing on them, I was told that the Thia's have the landing right sown en up , "or so they claim"

Any info on this matter would be appreatted...........Graham

I would imagine your the things you are hearing and your assessment is correct. Thai's are very territorial when it comes to protecting turf concerning money. The sport boat idea in Thailand has not caught on for a reason, although I do see Thai's using motorized small boats (not long-tails) to go out for a day of fishing on the weekends for pleasure. I am a fisherman buy trade so I also understand resentment of "sports fishermen". In Thailand this resentment may be heightened by influx of Farangs and their money and seeing you owning your own boat especially a Long-tail and of course you know you are invading a traditional area, a fraternity lets say. As to being harassed or limited do you really want to experience that, because yes it will happen. It is their country.

Had a speedboat here and had no problems at all. The only problems you will get is if you are running it for money. Going out with a few mates for a fish, dive or some beers no problem. Taking passengers is a no no. I had a Thai captain for paying customers and sometimes going diving with friends and just took it out myself other times. Haing a local captain will immeditely resolve your conflict. Even if you only use him occasionally the capain will make sure the locals know this and works as a form of insurance :) Have him look after the boat and take it out a few days a month and the money you pay him will be more than worth it :D

I would imagine your the things you are hearing and your assessment is correct. Thai's are very territorial when it comes to protecting turf concerning money. The sport boat idea in Thailand has not caught on for a reason, although I do see Thai's using motorized small boats (not long-tails) to go out for a day of fishing on the weekends for pleasure. I am a fisherman buy trade so I also understand resentment of "sports fishermen". In Thailand this resentment may be heightened by influx of Farangs and their money and seeing you owning your own boat especially a Long-tail and of course you know you are invading a traditional area, a fraternity lets say. As to being harassed or limited do you really want to experience that, because yes it will happen. It is their country.

Really don't think that you will have a problem, unless you do actually use the boat for commercial purposes. Something like a longtail you will need to keep on a mooring, such as at Rawai/Chalong/Ao Yon etc. Best to speak to some of the locals there for information on the 'etiquette' of installing your own mooring (which are free, other than the cost of weights/anchors/chains etc). For island hopping, maybe a longtail isn't the ideal choice due to the relatively low speed, and noisy for long distances. I know of a German guy at Rawai who has a longtail, with conventional outboard, centre console, GPS/Fishfinder etc.

A bit different to a deal I was offered in the Philippines.

Holidaying on Mindoro once, we were renting a motorized outrigger canoe most days. The owner offered to sell me the boat, he said he would work for me when I was there for a modest wage and continue to hire the boat out when I was away and split the income with me. As I was considering getting a house there at the time and my ex girlfriend would have lived there it seemed like a good deal.

Never happened though and I'm a long way from boating territory now.

post-38081-1257734740_thumb.jpg

Edited by sceadugenga

Really don't think that you will have a problem, unless you do actually use the boat for commercial purposes. Something like a longtail you will need to keep on a mooring, such as at Rawai/Chalong/Ao Yon etc. Best to speak to some of the locals there for information on the 'etiquette' of installing your own mooring (which are free, other than the cost of weights/anchors/chains etc). For island hopping, maybe a longtail isn't the ideal choice due to the relatively low speed, and noisy for long distances. I know of a German guy at Rawai who has a longtail, with conventional outboard, centre console, GPS/Fishfinder etc.

What you are saying give me a little heart, We intend to get a leasehold property in the Chalong-Rawai Beach area so it would be great if you can more a boat in Chalong bay and I like the idear it being free!! I intend to "TRY" to learn Thai and get to know the locals before I do anything, Who knows I may even deceided to build a boat yet

Given my close relationship with the Koh Phangan local fishing community I have to say what others are talking about does not occur here. Locals do not care if you go out fishing Just don't act like an ass, learn fishing etiquette (ie don't go park your boat next to someone who is fishing so that their lines are blocked by your boat). Maybe Phuket is different, but if all you do is fish for fun, they don't care.

Given my close relationship with the Koh Phangan local fishing community I have to say what others are talking about does not occur here. Locals do not care if you go out fishing Just don't act like an ass, learn fishing etiquette (ie don't go park your boat next to someone who is fishing so that their lines are blocked by your boat). Maybe Phuket is different, but if all you do is fish for fun, they don't care.

Etiquette, rules of the road, etc are something that most locals don't exercise when operating a boat.

They operate the boats at night with no running lights (or improper lights), cut across your bow when they are the "giveaway vessel", they drag anchor & collide with your boat, etc, etc. It's basically the same chaotic situation that you have on the roads.

You need a Thai "captain" if you operate the vessel commercially, for charter, etc. I've had friends who arranged for their Thai girlfriends to become licensed (ha!) to satisfy this requirement. It just shows how stringent the licensing requirements are!

Just be very cautious and keep your distance from the locals when operating a boat. The locals operating businesses on the beaches (jet skis, etc) can be very territorial and resent Falang boaters using the beach in their "areas".

When I got my small fiberglass speedboat, I moored on the beach outside Haad Rin pier. Local people didn't allow me to stop my boat on the pier. The first weeks everybody watched me like I did something wrong. Sometimes I went fishing with some friend of mine. One day one of the men of the local taxi-boat and fishing-trips community, stop me on the road asking, politely, if I rent my boat for fishing trips. After I denied, everybody fell more happy and from that day local people became more helpful.

Nobody never touch anything from my boat (tanks, diving gear, compass, ecosounder, jackets) and a couple of time they warn me about my mooring had a problem too.

Out of OP: My happiest days have been when I bought my boat, and when I sold it :)

Some time back, a farang anchored his boat near the Thai long tail boats. After a couple of weeks the boat caught on fire and burned to the water line. This happened in Ao Nang and it was not a long tailed boat.

Out of OP: My happiest days have been when I bought my boat, and when I sold it :D

My dad says a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money :D

:) ...and the Brits told me a long time ago: "The BEST boat is your friend's boat"

LaoPo

• 5 months later...

My dad says a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money :D

:) ...and the Brits told me a long time ago: "The BEST boat is your friend's boat"

LaoPo

Here's another one paticularly applicable in thailand.....'If it Fly's....Floats...or fuc_ks......RENT IT!!!'