Work Experience At Thai Colleges

Hi everyone,

Not sure of the most appropriate section for this so it's here!

I am British and whilst in both school and collage we would have a work experience placement. This would be a short time, two or three weeks, working (or really observing) in a real life job. It is usually in an office, nursery, garage etc. And also for free! Is this the case for Thailand? Do they do anything similar?

Thank you and all the best.

Benson

I think we have to define our terms. I believe by college you are referring to schools that aren't university level. In my experience with them, which is limited, there is no on-the-job training per se. In some instances there may be, but how formal it is, I don't know.

I do some part-time teaching at a place which employs a rather large number of engineers. They hired a new person before his actual graduation date and put him on staff. He didn't get the normal uniform until after graduation. This situation, however, was of the choosing of the employer, not the school. They do have classes which come around in small groups and spend a day, but this is observation only.

The experience from others will be appreciated.

Ha ha – good old English English or American English!

I was referring to a collage in the British sense. I.e. compulsory education is finished and then a further two or three years can be completed to gain usually higher qualifications . In the UK these are GNVQ, NVQ and A levels. After this is the option of University.

I wanted to know if Thai students get an opportunity in this part of their education to be placed for a small amount of time – perhaps 2 weeks or 2 months – in a real work place to see what they will be facing once they finish studying. So not really an internship just a taster!

Perhaps I also need an education in Thai school years! An example of a typical education path would be great please!

EDIT: I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Thailand

But is there an age limit for people wanting to return to finish education?

Thanks again,

Benson

Edited by smellyskater

I've seen Thai interns working in Government offices and, of course, Education majors work as student teachers. However, they were all University Students, I've never seen Mattayom Students do anything like that, except for helping out in little restaurants and shops.

There might be something of the sort you are talking for Tech School students.

Edited by otherstuff1957

All government colleges are under the control of the Vocational Education Commission.

Essentially, there are 2 types of students;

1] DVT (Dual Vocational Training) students and

2] "Normal" students.

The DVT students study part time & work for an employer the remainder of the time. There does not appear to be a fixed ratio i.e. 2 days study & 4 days working. The times appear to be set/agreed upon by the employer, student & the college.

The "normal" students fall into 2 categories;

1] Powachor.

2] Powasaw.

Powachor students are the "junior" students. Powachor is the first 3 years of college.

Powasaw students are the "senior" students. Powasaw is another 2 years of college.

3 years Powachor plus 2 years Powasaw equals 5 years of college.

Students who complete Powachor successfully receive a Certificate of Vocational Education in their relevant field of study.

Students who complete Powasaw successfully receive a Diploma of Vocational Education in their relevant field of study.

Both Powachor & Powasaw students have "on the job" training. This occurs in their last year, which is 3rd year for Powachor & 2nd year for Powasaw. This may not be true for all government technical colleges.

The training takes place in the last semester & lasts for the full semester. Each semester is 18 weeks long. There are 2 semesters per year.

Employers can either approach the college or be sourced by the college.

Correct me if I'm wrong ElKangarito, but the kind of Vocational School you're discussing is an alternative to M4-M6. The Powachor ปวฉ? are students that would otherwise be in High School, while the Powasaw ปวศ? are working on the equivalent of a US AA degree or a UK Diploma.

Correct me if I'm wrong ElKangarito, but the kind of Vocational School you're discussing is an alternative to M4-M6. The Powachor ปวฉ? are students that would otherwise be in High School, while the Powasaw ปวศ? are working on the equivalent of a US AA degree or a UK Diploma.

Thai colleges are not an alternative for M4-M6 because the syllabus is totally different between the 2 entities.

My college does not get many Year 9 "school leavers".

I don't know about the US or UK college systems. Thai colleges seem a little similar to Australian colleges in that they can provide universities with "entry level" students. Very soon, my college will be able to conduct "degree" courses...a bad idea in my opinion.