OK, I know what 'red' vehicle plates mean -- temp. plate, just registered.

But what do blue, green, yellow and whatever colour you can think of, mean.

Gotta be a list somewhere.

Just interested.

DC

Diplomatic vehicles have black on white plates, with a special Thai prefix letter.

Consular, International Mission/Org and Non-Diplo Embassy staff vehicles have white on blue plates, with a special Thai prefix letter.

Police Vehicles have silver or cream on metallic or emamel red plates, with a "sword and shield" crest to the left of a number.

These would be nice to have , i suppose you don't get stopped then for the usual bribe ?
Officially issued plates have a lightly stamped seal in one corner of the plate, and homemade plates without the seal are also known.

:D:o

My pick-up has green letters on a white background. But I've also seen pick-ups with black letters on a white background :o

And there are some plates on cars/pick-ups where the background is a pretty picture :D

I think green letters are for vehicles registered as commercial, not passenger so some pick ups come with black, and some with green numbers. There are certain restrictions on them like no driving in the right lane on some roads. The annual tax is also different.

Yellow plates are for passenger carries like taxis and minivans.

Thanks for the clarifications - I'm sure I've seen both green and black letters on the same model truck as mine (2-door, 2WD), but not sure about 4 doors or 4WDs - something to look for and stop the boredom on a long journey :o

I think green letters are for vehicles registered as commercial, not passenger so some pick ups come with black, and some with green numbers. There are certain restrictions on them like no driving in the right lane on some roads. The annual tax is also different.

Yellow plates are for passenger carries like taxis and minivans.

The green letters on white indicate a lower level of tax on the vehicle,

but U have never got a satisfactory explantion of the blue numbers

on a white background.

The new multi coloured backgrounds are coming out slowly, but I think they

carry a premium of some sort, rather like the special numbers 8888 etc.

They are being advertised in Chonburi at the moment.