Where Is The Best Place To Buy Kittens In Bangkok?

I've lived in thailand for almost a year now and have decided I want to have a cat but have no idea where to get them. I'd prefer a Siamese or Oriental Shorthair type of cat but doesn't have to be a full bred (would like this though if not to expensive).

I was hoping to find a place where they have alot of young kittens so I have some choice.

Any advise is welcome!

Thanx webfact but I already have a condo here.

I live in Pattaya but I´m sure I can get a Bangkok post here next Sunday, gonna look into it.

Maybe someone knows a big petshop with a good name? Back in Holland there would also be big pet auctions every now and then for all kinds of animals.

Don't buy a cat or dog! SCAD (Soi Cat and Dog Rescue) are here to help!

Go to http://www.scadbangkok.org and help these wonderful people find a good loving home for one of the rescue cats or dogs they have there.

They do a great (and often unsupported) job here in Thailand and are always looking for people to help home their animals. I have 2 of the soi rescue dogs here myself at home and you couldn't ask for nicer, more loving pets. It seems crazy to me that people spend tens of thousands of Baht on a supposedly 'pedigree' pet here when places like SCAD can offer a much more wonderful animal that actually NEEDS a home. They also run a spey and neuter program which is doing something extremely practical and worthwhile to help keep the soi dog populations down here in Thailand.

Contact details are all on the website, but if you get lost, PM me and I'll give you some more details. I think once you've looked over some of the animals on the site, you'll fall in love with them all (like I did) and want to have more than 1! :)

Chris

Edited by Tatsujin

Yes but I want this cat:

balck_oriental_2.jpg

It's an Ebony Oriental Short-Hair and I definately hope it's not gonna costs that much?!

I must admit that I think one who wants a cat should look into adopting one without a home. Aside from the formal places, I'm wondering if some of the temples which are rife with cats would let you adopt one.

Yeah well I want a kitten which are the biggest joy you can only have once every what 12 years? Besides last time I took 2 kittens from the animal home and they lied to me saying they were brothers which they were not and one of them was loosing way to much hair. Very unwanted in a one room studio like mine. So I'm not ever gonna do this again. This time I want to know what species I take so there won't be any troubles later on.

Unless you buy from a reputable breeder, the cat breeds you may buy could be very flawed indeed. Pet breeders, not just here but elsewhere as well, do not always make sure that they breed healthy animals without any genetic deformities.

I am moving this to the Pets forum

Be prepared when buying a pedigree cat from a breeder that often the prices are 20 - 25,000 baht and up.

I agree with SBK that buying a pedigree doesn't guarantee a healthy cat. I knew a cat breeder here in Thailand that bred pedigree cats with a genetic heart condition.

Most strays are from Siamese decent. Most of the cats I get in boarding are like that. They are very affectionate and quite vocal, just like the full bred Siamese. :D

Also I would suggest to contact SCAD and look for a kitten there. If you take your time you very well may end up with a black kitten that almost looks like the Ebony OSH. :)

Oh, btw when kittens are very young it's quite difficult to see whether they are male or female.

It's also better to adopt when the kitten is older than 3 months.

Please please don't BUY a kitten! :) There are hundreds of stray kittens looking for homes, and they're just as cute and possibly more healthy than one you'd get from a breeder.

Siamese coloration shows up in street kittens, too.

Actually there's an adorable litter of three kittens in our apartment complex at the moment. If anyone would like to adopt one, PM me. One is a gray tiger, one is black with a bit of white and one is a gorgeous buff color. All very lively and friendly.

(I'd take one myself but we already have enough felines!)

Best,

Doctor D

Just want to add my voice to those urging you not to buy a kitten. Not only does it miss a chance to give a stray a home but in Thailand, breeders tend to be quite careless about things like overcrowding and immunization and often the pets get very sick or die.

SCAD is quite reputable, provides adequate vetinary care and immunizes all their animals. And they do get Siamese breeds, I've seen some lovely ones on their website from time to time.

The owner of Furr-Purr in Sukhumvit 33/1 breeds Korat and Siamese cats and shows them all over including outside Thailand. We really wanted one of her Korat kittens but as a previously poster said, they start at THB 20,000 and up to double that for kittens from 'star' parents. We ended up with a street kitten that looks - and chatters - like a Brown Burmese and she keeps us on our toes.

Good choice crypt36, make sure he gets her shots and when he gets old enough, sterilized.

Our cat wandered onto our property as a kitten, starving, with skin issues. We nursed her back to health and she was a lovely intelligent cat that lived to 17 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Some funny posts here, made me laugh.

I had a purebred Russian Blue growing up.

It was a normal cat so it did what it wanted when it wanted to, not very loving, but it was healthy for 19 years.

30 years later I got a common mixed shorthair from the rescue shelter and it proved to be the best pet I've ever had.

It was way cooler than my intelligent parrots and the dozens of dumber pets I've had.

My cat was actually more like a dog: it came when I called, followed me around the neighborhood unleashed, and played with every stranger it met.

Sadly I had a vet adopt it back in the US since I had to move here.

When my lease is up I'm going to move to a pet friendly apartment and get a cat again.

All I'm saying is if the source (breeder or shelter) has a good reputation then you have a good chance of a great pet.

Don't worry, I'll be giving the rescue a look since I don't want a particular breed.

I won't shun anyone if they want a particular breed but I'd do some research on the breeder's reputation before paying a lot for one.