Koh Chang Closed 12-15 November

Changian

Exact details are a bit sketchy but the car ferries to Koh Chang will stop running for 3 days. This is due to a dispute on the island regarding the issuance of land title deeds.

It will be interesting to see how resort owners / Bangkok Airways etc react. Not quite on the scale of closing Bangkok Airport but it's not often an island is cut off.

If you are leaving or arriving on the island during this time check with your resort to see what plan, if any, they have.

(Of course the ferries might still run, but it looks like the closure is for real as all the local government offices & National Park have been told it will take place.)

There is meeting going on this afternoon between locals and various govt. officials. So far the Trat Governor hasn't shown any interest in their plight as he refused to meet them when they went to his house the other day. Therefore, if the protestors don't get what they want then they will block the road near Klong Son starting on Friday. If the road is blocked the ferries will have to stop. The organiser is a local official with a lot of PBT5 land.

From a Scandinavian tour agent with an office in Bangkok to their clients planning to come to Koh Chang this weekend:

++

As you might have seen from the newspaper there is a threat to blockade the ferry connection by some local land owners and politicians at Koh Chang in the connection with their land dispute with the Thai navy and national park.

From what we can gather from Koh Chang the boycott people is a limited group headed by 4-5 politicians and they do not have backing from the majority of local hotel owners and boat operators. Our general feeling at this time is thus that the connection to the island would be possible even if a temporary boycott of the ferry terminal is made since several boat operators and alternative piers would be available as alternatives to transporting the tourists.

++

• 1 month later...

I have resumed this old topic cause i heard rumours that the Koh Chang Ferry to and from the mainland could possibly been closed within the next few days.

So,just rumours for the moment,but i would like to hear from Mr.ChangIan,who seems to be well informed of what's going on this Island.

I don't know if i'm allowed to post "rumours",but i'll try to get more information about it,and eventually post again if there are any news.

Cheers