'anki' Deck Of Flash Cards With Sound And Thai Script To Learn The Top 300 Thai Words

jamiesensei

Have just updated a deck of flash cards I have shared through Anki.

It includes :

* mp3 files for the top 300 most used Thai words.

* you can listen to the word and have Anki ask you what tone each word is.

* you can listen to the word and have Anki ask you to spell the word in Thai.

It also includes mp3s of the name of all the letters on the Thai keyboard. So you can have it play you the letter and find it on the keyboard, to help you familiarize yourself with the Thai keyboard.

You can download the Anki deck by first downloading Anki from here http://ichi2.net/anki/download/ It is available for many operating systems. Then go to the File menu and select Download > Shared Deck ....

To get the most of the deck of cards check out how they are tagged (browse the deck and see the tags there) and use the 'Settings > Inactive Tags ...' settings to choose what you want to study.

The deck is meant for people like me who have learnt the rules of the Thai writing system and need some practice to cement them in memory and get familiar with the Thai keyboard. I think it is great for practicing tone recognition too.

Edited by jamiesensei

I should note that the checking of Thai spelling by Anki doesn't seem to work on my Windows Vista machine. But that is OK, it highlights the answer I type in red to indicate it is wrong but actually you then get to select whether you got the answer right or wrong and how hard the question was after you see the proper answer. So actually you are the one that ultimately tells Anki whether you actually got the spelling right, the red / green highlighting of correct / incorrect answers just cannot be trusted.

Thank you very much for that, works well for me on a mac as well. However, using it on Android using Ankidroid not so fine. sound and display is not the same as with the desktop version, but I guess that has gotta do with the droid software not your cards... Anyway great work!

If I may say (at the expense of offending many), my verdict is that Android is like the iphone - just that it's better and cheaper. Get the Android with the qwerty, it's good. runs pretty fast, faster than winmobile, and loads of free apps since it's open source. After rooting it (aka jailbreaking) its an awesome awesome phone and I feel its value increases by the day. Okay, off-topic, but that's android.

And thus ankidroid is one of the flashcard software I downloaded to learn Thai, you can learn other languages too. There are also other flashcard learning apps in the Android market. Ankidroid is not as polished as I would like but still aids my Thai learning anyhow. I love the flexibility of the app, and the phone...

Anyway, thanks so much for the flashcards, its been very useful to my learning so far. :)

Hehehe.. we're going off topic now! Nope, I don't own one, but played with many others of my friends. I must say the iphone certainly beats the android in the 'cool' factor... (think shiny black, slim, cool effects) but other than that.. hmm.. maybe same same or android is better in others, and has more potential.... but i don't know.. you want to give me yours? Then maybe I'll like the iphone more... ha...

ya... back to anki...

Yeah, 'off topic'... I'm not a huge fan of iPhones (you are right, I have one). Maybe I'd change my mind if Thailand had a decent connection. Or if using one in the tropics wasn't like having a huge, slippery wet brick stuck to the side of your face.

Anyway, I was just curious about the android and its app abilities.

Also, I've always wanted to use this smiley :)and now I have.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...