Herbal Whiskey (yaa Dong Herbs)

chanchao

I used to see loads of little shops with 4-5 glass bowls in front with various kinds of 'yaa dong' herbal 'whiskey' . I see very few these days.

As it happens, I sourced a good quantity of rice-whisky and would like to turn it in to yaa dong. But... I have a hard time finding the herb/spice mixes for it! I already tried two of Chiang Mai's dodgier markets, and while my questions on where to find yaa dong herbs resulted in very enjoyable, lively and lengthy conversations with the local uncles, as yet I don't have the answer. (Other than the obvious cop-out of using the 12 Tigers powder, which is not what I want, I want the real herbs.)

Of course Thaivisa is a far more logical place to ask this, so: where can I find the herb mix to which I can add the liquor??

I do recall seeing it for sale at that huge country-market on the road to Lampang just after clearing the mountains. But I don't really want to drive all the way over there; surely it must exist in Chiang Mai?

Cheers,

Chanchao

I used to see loads of little shops with 4-5 glass bowls in front with various kinds of 'yaa dong' herbal 'whiskey' .    I see very few these days.

As it happens, I sourced a good quantity of rice-whisky and would like to turn it in to yaa dong.  But... I have a hard time finding the herb/spice mixes for it!  I already tried two of Chiang Mai's dodgier markets, and while my questions on where to find yaa dong herbs resulted in very enjoyable, lively and lengthy conversations with the local uncles, as yet I don't have the answer.  (Other than the obvious cop-out of using the 12 Tigers powder, which is not what I want, I want the real herbs.)

Of course Thaivisa is a far more logical place to ask this, so: where can I find the herb mix to which I can add the liquor??

I do recall seeing it for sale at that huge country-market on the road to Lampang just after clearing the mountains.  But I don't really want to drive all the way over there; surely it must exist in Chiang Mai?

Cheers,

Chanchao

If ALL else fails I know it is for sale in Chiang Khong in the form of tightly sealed glass bottles of one liter each containing the herbs but no liquid. But like you said it must be available in the CM region and in more convenient containers, too.

Johpa might know - try to PM him.

Edited by meadish_sweetball

Thanks that'd be great!! I've also PM'd k. Johpa... :o I already suspected he'd be an expert on these kinds of things..

And in further researching at Sanpakhoi market, I had again a very interesting discussion with a market lady selling traditional herbs and teas, and she managed to dig up a rather old bag of ya dong spices...... She had only one left and told me these days she doesn't get them supplied anymore. I still bought it in case I can't find anything better, but really I'd prefer something that was harvested/packed this millennium. :D

According to her the Lampang variety is less good than what 'we' make in Chiang Mai.. She said people still sell it at the back-side of Doi Inthanon (Mae Chaem, I suppose), but that's even a longer drive away compared to the Lampang market..

Cheers,

Chanchao

Thanks that'd be great!!    I've also PM'd k. Johpa... :o  I already suspected he'd be an expert on these kinds of things..

And in further researching at Sanpakhoi market, I had again a very interesting discussion with a market lady selling traditional herbs and teas, and she managed to dig up a rather old bag of ya dong spices......  She had only one left and told me these days she doesn't get them supplied anymore.  I still bought it in case I can't find anything better, but really I'd prefer something that was harvested/packed this millennium. :D

According to her the Lampang variety is less good than what 'we' make in Chiang Mai.. She said people still sell it at the back-side of Doi Inthanon (Mae Chaem, I suppose), but that's even a longer drive away compared to the Lampang market..

Cheers,

Chanchao

I always get my supplies from the Lampang market – they have a good selection of concoctions and ingredients depending on what bodily function you want to enhance or ailment you want to cure !! Great stuff.

Bloke down the road makes his own too.He's out till later tonight,i'll let you know where he gets his herbs from.

Warorot market,but the dried stuff.(just ask around when you are there)Apparently the herb is dried and then crushed into a powder.He didn't know where to get the fresh stuff. :o

> Sorry to interrupt, when do you drink this, with what food, or

> only for tase pleasure, or for "health"?

Well... the background is pretty solidly 'health'. The medicinal properties of the herbs dissolve in the alcohol, which of course enters your blood way quicker than something solved in water. Now keep in mind this is not state of the art medicine, more like a cure for minor ailments (aches and pains) and then there are some which are supposed to increase (sexual) stamina. Mind you, given that the main ingredient is still alcohol, any alcoholic drink will reduce aches and pains and act as a catalyst to sexual activity when used in moderation. :o)

Of course, mostly people drink it because it's cheap (5-10 baht a shot) and tastes interesting.

I just checked back on the jar I'm making (filled it up just a couple of hours ago) and.. wow!!! So far so good!! I wonder if I put in too much spices for the liquor-quantity because already it's the color of Scrotch and after trying a bit (I'm impatient) it almost tastes like brandy..! Cool..!! "From Uttaradesian moonshine to quality brandy in 4 hours: Impressive!" :D I fear I have to add more liquor though or it will end up too strong/bitter whatever.. Good news is: It'll definitely be ready in time for Songkran!!

I'll just top it up with some regular cheapo rice whiskey I guess. But I have to say, that stuff from Uttaradit is quality.. Very high alcohol content, crystal clear liquid adn loads of it.. If we do have that ThaiVisa-Chiang Mai piss-up then I'll bring the bottle. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Oh, what food to have it with... :o : Mostly 'chaser' type stuff. Like Mayom fruit (it's in season right now, the tree in my garden has tons of it ready for harvest). But any sour, or pickled fruit will do.. Then some salt, or lime, and water as a chaser. For the more bitter varieties they sometimes add some honey to make it sweeter.

Relatives at home put, Black Rhizome or Gkrachai (Kachai) Dam, in the rice whiskey and the result is always good. I read somewhere that even in the US, if they mean the same plant, the root of black cohosh was used to help women with menaopause-related problems. I'm not really certain that cohosh and Gkrachai are the same.

Given two choices b/w J Walker Black and this Gkrachai Dam yadong, I'll go for the homemade 370 days a year. Oh, you just put the fresh root in the whiskey. No need to dry it first, at least that's the way my folks do.

Two shots perday, morning and before bed, will enchance various types of my performance, methinks. :o

• 2 weeks later...

chanchao,for some unexplained reason I now have a bag of fresh Grachai Dam.The missus heard me talking about it the other day and brought back a bag from Udon.

I have absolutly no use for this what-so-ever, so if you want it PM me. :D

It will cost you a sample of you finest though. :o

For my sins I now have about five gallons of "Spring Wine".

From a 1,000+ year old traditional Chinese recipe utilising such things as "horny goat weed", various lizards, seahorses, deer antlers and more other interesting ingredients than I care to think about.

Doesn't taste too good, but has the most amazing effect.

Any visitors to the 'gaff are always welcome to a shot!

I am told by my police colonel next-door-neighbour that Ya-Dong is technically illegal now. This is why it tends to be under the counter, rather than perched on top as before.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Yaa Dong sometimes contains Tongkat Ali?

This is a sex enhancing root grown in Malaysia.

Anyone know where I can get Tongat Ali, preferably in strong extract form.

I foung Yaa Dong herbs by the university (not sure what university name) but theres a guy there with a herbal medicine stand i think on Sundays.

He also sells kwao krua

Thanks

• 11 months later...

Just getting to his thread now. I don't know if anyone is still looking at it. I guess I'll find out if someone answers.

I'm trying to find information on yaa dong with different recipes showing the benefits of each type.

Does anyone know where I can find this in formation ??

I'll be in Chiang Mai in June for two weeks so I can get things there if necesarry

Thanks for any help and information

:o

There are countless roots, bark, etc for concocting yaa dong. As it is more of a rural drink, I would ask around at any of the traditional markets in the surrounding towns such as Mae Rim or Hang Dong or when passing through any other town with such a market. Of course Kaat Khwian outside of Lampang is the regions best known traditional market for forest products but a rather long drive. And Mae Salong still has plenty of exotic medicinal drinks at the top near the school playground, apart from tea.

If you have any pals with family still living in the villages have them ask around, especially the older folks who may be willing to share recipes. Also, many of the small village shops still sell yaa dong by the glass, as well as lao khao by the glass. Often you can buy a bottle too.

I am not surprised that it is difficult to find yaa dong as on my last visit it was becoming difficult to find Mae Khong.

If you have any pals with family still living in the villages have them ask around, especially the older folks who may be willing to share recipes. Also, many of the small village shops still sell yaa dong by the glass, as well as lao khao by the glass. Often you can buy a bottle too.

Hi Johpa,

Although I am now a little bit more of a temperant fellow than I once was....there was a time when my favourite early morning breakfast drink would be lao khao and hot ovaltine. Just enough earthiness and

vitamins to help start the day. I expect that you have tried the 'lao kapote' ? Truely lives up to the name of 'thumpskull'. I watched some being made once with the Lisu. I was very impressed as the 'still was a gourd positioned over a campfire with a long piece of thin bamboo as the condensor.

Their ingenuity surpassed their product....Ken

In answer to the question...

Prinya Utitchalanon, better known as "Dr Prinya", runs a shop where he sells traditional medicines, including herbal remedies, at Tha Prachan Market in Bangkok. Some are ready-made mixtures ready to be added to whiskey to make yaa dong. In addition to selling these remedies, he advises customers on which of them is best for treating a given condition.

Hi Johpa,

Although I am now a little bit more of a temperant fellow than I once was....there was a time when my favourite early morning breakfast drink would be lao khao and hot ovaltine. Just enough earthiness and

vitamins to help start the day. I expect that you have tried the 'lao kapote' ? Truely lives up to the name of 'thumpskull'. I watched some being made once with the Lisu. I was very impressed as the 'still was a gourd positioned over a campfire with a long piece of thin bamboo as the condensor.

Their ingenuity surpassed their product....Ken

I too and far more temperant than in my youth. If I an fortunate to be in-country during the Mong New Year I always go up the hill to visit pals in the neighboring Mong village to partake of the lao khao pot, Lil Abner corn whiskey distilled on the spot in barrels. Such distilled beverages so live up to their nickname of white lightening.

Having become a couch drinker in middle age (two beers, wheres the couch, time for my beauty nap) I am not sure if I have the kallam to drink such substances anymore.