Probiotic

phetaroi

All my life, anytime I've been on a course of antibiotics, my intestinal fortitude :-) has been challenged. I have always greatly suffered.

I am just getting over the flu and bronchitis, and was on Amoxycillin for 10 days. This time the druggist recommended Combif AR probiotic as the best she had ever seen. And it was. Very few problems this time around. For me, a wonderful product.

is that what its called? The only information online I could find was for combiphar which is a infant probiotic with colostrum. Is that the same product?

how much does it cost? soft capsule? hard capsule?

Combif AR by Medinova of Switzerland. Soft capsule. My SO bought if for me, so I am not sure of the price. No, not a child's version.

Edited by phetaroi

I was on so many courses of antibiotics in the LOS after eating an iffy sausage. It got so bad that nothing would stay in and I had prolonged bouts of diarrhea. In the end had sample tested and was told I had virtually no good bacteria in my guts.

Doc suggested I try Lactil Forte probiotics in capsule form (900baht for 6 from hospital or 60 Baht for 50 from the chemist in Hua Hua :) )

Worked a treat and I was right as rain in a week and no probs since.

still can't find much information online but thanks for the tip. I am definitely going to go looking for it.

My SO bought several more packages for me yesterday. I still can't quite figure out where he bought it...somewhere in Ratchathewi. He asked the druggist why we had no luck finding it other places, and was told it is only beginning to be sold here in Thailand and has not penetrated the market much yet.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just finished a 12-day juice fast and am on the second day of transitioning back to a normal diet. Unlike after previous fasts, after which I was careless about the transition (eating too much of the wrong kinds of food and not taking a probiotic) and suffered from inability to move my bowels to the point of needing a strong cup of senna tea, this time I was smart. On day one I had more juice, some oranges, and lots of vegetable soup. And, five capsules of Combif AR spread out over the day. This morning, day two, I awoke, had more veggie soup and a couple of banana muffins and soon had an effortless bowel movement. Aaah, success.

Of course, I changed my diet as well as taking a lot of this product so I can't this product so I can't conclusively state that this product was the only factor in my success, but I'm not going to mess with success.

I happened across Combif AR at the local drugstore in my new neighborhood in Chiang Mai (in the same strip of townhouses as the Jasmine Homes office). the druggist only sells a whole box of thirty. He quoted me 450 baht and when I recoiled at the price he lowered it to 400. Now I know from you guys that he gave me a sweet deal.

BTW, in the past I struggled with IBS and dealt with it very successfully by changing to a high fiber, alkaline diet and also letting go of grudges and resentments, real or imagined (sometimes lol).

• 10 years later...

Probiotic pills are probably useless, who knows if the bacteria is still alive or not. Best thing to do if it's possible in Thailand is to make your own sauerkraut, buy kefir grains and make your own kefir, eat a healthy diet with decent amount of fiber to feed the good bacteria. Junk food, sugar and soda will feed the bad bacteria. There's also natural antimicrobials you can take to kill off bad bacteria like oregano oil, but I think Thailand probably won't have this kind of stuff, your better off being in the west when it comes to this kind of stuff. 

• Thanks 1