Anyone Tried Out The New Airport Link Yet?

sbk

Just curious about the new airport link and if anyone rode it on the test run.

It will be great when it opens (when is that anyway?). Is there room for luggage or is it the same as the BTS trains in the city? Anyone know how much it will cost to take from Bkk to the airport?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I've been on it a couple of times, but it's not open for public testing yet. I have no solid information when/if the public trials are to start, there are still issues with the (lack of) operating company.

When it does finally open it is likely to be free rides for a short while, which will REALLY make the taxi Mafia happy :)

Express trains have a baggage car for checked baggage TO the airport, plenty of space for bags inside the cars too, the City trains have less space for bags.

There was only a short period of public trial runs so far. The full test run, open to the public, is scheduled to start on December 5. The official opening is now set for April 2010. Cost for a ticket will be 150 Baht for a single journey between airport and city terminal.

Edited by lothda

My understanding is that there will be city check-in boothes at the Makkasan terminal for outbound passengers, similar to Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong and many more cities.

So I guess after check-in at Makkasan olutbound passengers only need to take care of cabin bags.

Not so of course for those folks arriving into Thailand.

My understanding is that there will be city check-in boothes at the Makkasan terminal for outbound passengers, similar to Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong and many more cities.

So I guess after check-in at Makkasan olutbound passengers only need to take care of cabin bags.

Not so of course for those folks arriving into Thailand.

What Sky Train stations inside the city does it link with ?

Makkasan is a heavy rail line correct ?

post-21740-1258036226_thumb.jpg

Why would you possibly think, in Thailand, the rail link would actually "link" up to anything? Hope springs eternal... :) The mocking name, "Rail Link" is simply a cruel joke to taunt the hopes of hoards of weary tourists arriving from a long flight.

Sorry, you'll have to drag those suitcases off the train, make your way down to street level, and resort back to the taxi mafia in order to get to any Sky Train station. Remember, here, it's all about fleecing the tourist, not providing convenience!

I'm sure a number of entities paid some heavy under-the-table "persuasion money" in the planning stages to make sure the "link" didn't leave out an ongoing demand for taxis, tuk tuk's, and motorcycle taxis! Part of a third-world mentality in a country that wants to think of itself as a "developing country."

TIT

Edited by toptuan

Please correct me if I am wrong (as if you wouldn't),

I think Makasan is very close to Ratchathewi or Prom Pong BTS stations. You still have to schlep all your bags down to street level, and then to the BTS and up to it's platform.

It is a real shame is does not link, even an elevated walkway from Makasan to the nearest BTS would make sense.

I think Makasan is very close to Ratchathewi or Prom Pong BTS stations. You still have to schlep all your bags down to street level, and then to the BTS and up to it's platform.

It is a real shame is does not link, even an elevated walkway from Makasan to the nearest BTS would make sense.

Well - you got that one quite wrong. Makasan is close to the MRT Petchaburi Station. I think the only point at which the Airport Link meets the BTS is right at the end = Phaya Thai Station.

Well - you got that one quite wrong. Makasan is close to the MRT Petchaburi Station. I think the only point at which the Airport Link meets the BTS is right at the end = Phaya Thai Station.

Think it's fairly close to MRT Petchaburi Station, well you can see Makasan from Petchaburi Station, though you will still have to walk to, and accross, Petchaburi Road, there is no link.

Not sure how close the Airport Link is at Phaya Thai Station.

I live in Thonglor and a taxi costs me 250 Baht, I will stick to that I think.

It is my understanding that the HIGH SPEED Express train is only accessible at Maksasan. There is a new local train that runs from Phayathai BTS, on the same tracks, to the airport and will take considerably longer than the Express. Ironically, it appears that it will NOT stop at Makasan, so no transfers are possible to the Express.

maybe in the end they will construct one....

in Silom/SalaDaeng it took many years, but now finally you can walk from BTS to MRT using a covered walkway. Same goes for the connection between ChitLom/Siam.

more to follow, I am sure. Even in Thailand, such things eventually become reality..... it just takes "a little longer" than at other places :)

LOL...love your opening. No, not close to either station at all. And I'm not sure I'd want it to be. The Skytrain is not designed for people to be toting luggage. Even shoppers can find it to be a problem...or be the problem. And in that regard it's not unlike other mass transit systems in the west. THe Skytrain is often crowded with standing room only as it is.

Ironically, it appears that it will NOT stop at Makasan, so no transfers are possible to the Express.

BOTH Express and City Services will stop at Makasan so transfers would be possible but hardly worth it as you must buy another ticket, best to accept the longer journey time of the City train from the airport if you want to connect with the BTS.

There is a concourse level bridge to Phayathai BTS from the end station (missing the final span last time I was that way).

Makasan to Petchaburi MRT is a bind but you don't have to cross Petchaburi Road, there was talk of an elevated / underground walkway, but I've seen no evidence of such.

Sorry, you'll have to drag those suitcases off the train, make your way down to street level, and resort back to the taxi mafia in order to get to any Sky Train station. Remember, here, it's all about fleecing the tourist, not providing convenience!

TIT

Make your way up to top level at the airport and get an arriving taxi.

Get less fleeced.

Edited by mahtin

Think it's fairly close to MRT Petchaburi Station, well you can see Makasan from Petchaburi Station, though you will still have to walk to, and accross, Petchaburi Road, there is no link.

Not sure how close the Airport Link is at Phaya Thai Station.

I live in Thonglor and a taxi costs me 250 Baht, I will stick to that I think.

Despite the novelty factor I think I will be doing the same. Better than lugging around my bags in the heat to save a few baht.

Ive seen it run twice as my hotel looks straight out to the elevated track at Phayathai. On both occaisions there was less than 4 people I could see on the train. I would take a video if I had some idea of when the train was running. As far as I can tell at the moment the service is running maybe once or twice a day.

It is very quiet - significantly more than the regular thai trains. There was also a lot of water coming down the legs of the elevation when there was the large storm yesterday !

Actually, if anyone is interested, something very heavy came through phayathai very early on friday morning as it really shook the hotel I am staying in. I have been here now for nearly 2 weeks and nothing has made the hotel "rock" like this. No idea what it looked like as I didnt get up to look. Just very unusual for what I know of !

HTH

There was only a short period of public trial runs so far. The full test run, open to the public, is scheduled to start on December 5. The official opening is now set for April 2010. Cost for a ticket will be 150 Baht for a single journey between airport and city terminal.

Not sure if im becoming tight-fisted in my old-age (probably am), but 150bt seems quite expensive considering the general cost of public transport and taxis around town.

Not sure if im becoming tight-fisted in my old-age (probably am), but 150bt seems quite expensive considering the general cost of public transport and taxis around town.

Remember airport bus from DM?It was 100B,so 150B on new rail link doesnt seem to much.Similar train in HK cost also 100,but HK$ which is 5 times more!

In KL it costs about 350B;in Singapore - may be 40B only(it is regular MRT not airport train)

Could I ask here,on the same shot - how much is normal taxi fare(meter) from new airport to Morchit bus station?Thanks for any advice,I hate to be

overcharged.

The whole rial link is a gigantic white elephant - why would anyone want to use it in prefernec eot a taxi? It only cuts out the fast (freeway) part of your journey to/from the airport and then you have to get to/from the airport rail station anyway - heaps more hassle and a lot slower than a taxi. And if its 150 baht you will end up paying less to get a taxi (for most ultimate destinations) even if you are traveling alone. Even if it is a bit cheaper overall, who in their right mind wants to endure all the hassle to possible save about $1 ??

..something very heavy came through phayathai very early on friday morning as it really shook the hotel I am staying in

It might have been an elephant.

The governor of Bangkok has made it very plain he plans to deport these creatures from the city, and what could be better than an unused rail link?

... Even if it is a bit cheaper overall, who in their right mind wants to endure all the hassle to possible save about $1 ??

It's not about saving a small amount of money. I live close to a BTS station and it would be very convenient for me to connect to the airport train. And I hate Bangkok taxis :) .

Edited by lothda

Why would you possibly think, in Thailand, the rail link would actually "link" up to anything? Hope springs eternal... :) The mocking name, "Rail Link" is simply a cruel joke to taunt the hopes of hoards of weary tourists arriving from a long flight.

I'm sure a number of entities paid some heavy under-the-table "persuasion money" in the planning stages to make sure the "link" didn't leave out an ongoing demand for taxis, tuk tuk's, and motorcycle taxis! Part of a third-world mentality in a country that wants to think of itself as a "developing country."

TIT

:D correctly spoken...

TIT

:Dcorrectly spoken...

god forbid that a "rich" farang could actually get from downtown Bangkok to the airport for a measly 150 baht... that's agains't everything the Thai transportation mafia's stand for... it ain't gonna happen in my lifetime...