Anyone Tried Out The New Airport Link Yet?

sbk

The whole rial link is a gigantic white elephant - why would anyone want to use it in prefernec eot a taxi? It only cuts out the fast (freeway) part of your journey to/from the airport and then you have to get to/from the airport rail station anyway - heaps more hassle and a lot slower than a taxi. And if its 150 baht you will end up paying less to get a taxi (for most ultimate destinations) even if you are traveling alone. Even if it is a bit cheaper overall, who in their right mind wants to endure all the hassle to possible save about $1 ??

Exactly. The Asoke-Petchburi intersection already has some of the worst traffic in Bangkok. It's taken me more than an hour to reach that intersection from the Rama 9 - Asoke intersection, a distance of less than 1km. Throw in all the additional traffic for the airport express train and it's gridlock. If you have to take a taxi, it's going to be a lot faster to simply get on the expressway and get dropped at the door of the airport. If there is more than one of you, it will also be cheaper by taxi.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interestingly the fae is same as the express bus so no competition there.

Travelling to Saphan Kwai still faster cheaper and easier by taxi

I d think the line will be used by nervous of taxi types first timers and inevitable travel snarl ups at Makkasan.

The one virtue wil be down town check in,although I doubt the budget airlines will do this,as duplicating staff will eat into their meagre profits based on minimal staffing.Conversely will add to costs for Thai etc.

Whatever class,or pass etc you have in the good old days before mindless jihadis added security and bottle search to our woes once you checked in you were free,

The ticketing price wil not relate to market forces,value etc but to some formula to pay of SRT who in turn had to pay.Will you pay on the train into a machine that takes notes and cards or BTS BS? :)

I recall many times quueueing at Skytrain twice because my 40 baht paper no good for trip to On Nut.

Lining up to be given coins to line up again.I solved this nonsense by buying all day pass 12o baht from next window which seldom has queues.

Is the schedule first and last trains on line?

Interested to hear from anyone how the ticketing etc actually works in reality please?

I d think the line will be used by nervous of taxi types first timers and inevitable travel snarl ups at Makkasan.

The one virtue wil be down town check in,although I doubt the budget airlines will do this,as duplicating staff will eat into their meagre profits based on minimal staffing.Conversely will add to costs for Thai etc.

Whatever class,or pass etc you have in the good old days before mindless jihadis added security and bottle search to our woes once you checked in you were free,

Probably. Though presumably the new airport link should remove some traffic from the Makkasan area with lots commuting by rail rather than road. Perhaps the net result will be equal?

Either way I'm bloody thrilled since my regular hotel is steps away from the new line. Bye bye Bangkok traffic!

The 150 baht is only for the Express train that heads to Makasan without stopping. The normal train, which has stops, starts at 15 baht and ends at 40 baht to ride the entire line built so far all the way to Phaya Thai. The station is directly adjacent to the BTS and connected by a concourse. That will be my method of choice whenever coming to BKK. Seems perfect for anyone staying on the BTS line, or staying at Khao San Road where the total trip including taxi will now be under 100 baht.

Just flew into Bangkok last night and to my surprise I saw the train running around 10pm. Driver said its still not open but running for some odd reason.

Hardly odd :) It's currently trial running (officially starts on 5 Dec). Systems tests, staff training (?) etc. etc. Expect the system to be operated with a full timetable but without paying passengers for at least 6 weeks.

"Interested to hear from anyone how the ticketing etc actually works in reality please?"

If you are referring to the Airport Link train, it could not be simpler: there are ticketing machines in the stations. Not exactly cracking the atom.

Imagine every traveler getting off with their bags at Makkasan, the Taxi mafia will have extremely rich pickings, this contract/contracts will cost taxia mafia dons millions of baht each month.

Just imagine a whole line of no meter inflated price old taxis waiting to take farangs to their hotels via tailors, "pussy play ping pong" and "massage sexy lady", who knows, maybe they'll even be 10 baht tuk tuk rides to your hotel...........

It is my understanding that the HIGH SPEED Express train is only accessible at Maksasan. There is a new local train that runs from Phayathai BTS, on the same tracks, to the airport and will take considerably longer than the Express. Ironically, it appears that it will NOT stop at Makasan, so no transfers are possible to the Express.

I'm sure Crossy can correct this if it not correct, but I remember reading that the regular line will only take 15 minutes more than the express. I'm not sure if they will have luggage checking on the "local" line, but I'm not sure that I'd want to check my luggage anyway.

As to how close the airport lines are to the other lines, I heard mention that Phayathai BTS station may make a walkway to the airport line so that you don't have to go down to street level. I've also heard that the MRT is planning a walking tunnel to the Makasan station, similar to the one at Hua Lamphong. Whether either of these will actually happen, I don't know.

My only worry, is that if I want to get back out to Pinklao from the airport, I'll have to get a taxi from Phyathai. If it is anywhere near as difficult as getting a taxi from Ratchtewi station, it's going to be a pain in the ass.

It is my understanding that the HIGH SPEED Express train is only accessible at Maksasan. There is a new local train that runs from Phayathai BTS, on the same tracks, to the airport and will take considerably longer than the Express. Ironically, it appears that it will NOT stop at Makasan, so no transfers are possible to the Express.

I'm sure Crossy can correct this if it not correct, but I remember reading that the regular line will only take 15 minutes more than the express. I'm not sure if they will have luggage checking on the "local" line, but I'm not sure that I'd want to check my luggage anyway.

As to how close the airport lines are to the other lines, I heard mention that Phayathai BTS station may make a walkway to the airport line so that you don't have to go down to street level. I've also heard that the MRT is planning a walking tunnel to the Makasan station, similar to the one at Hua Lamphong. Whether either of these will actually happen, I don't know.

My only worry, is that if I want to get back out to Pinklao from the airport, I'll have to get a taxi from Phyathai. If it is anywhere near as difficult as getting a taxi from Ratchtewi station, it's going to be a pain in the ass.

Yup, Express from airport to MAK is about 15 mins, City is about 30.

Access to BTS at Phayathai is via a concourse level walkway, last time I was out that way the span across the road was missing, maybe someone can confirm completion.

As to the access from MAK to the MRT absolutely zip is there (supposed to be elevated), it was on the initial drawings but seems to have fallen off the Good For Constructions :)

Yup, Express from airport to MAK is about 15 mins, City is about 30.

Access to BTS at Phayathai is via a concourse level walkway, last time I was out that way the span across the road was missing, maybe someone can confirm completion.

As to the access from MAK to the MRT absolutely zip is there (supposed to be elevated), it was on the initial drawings but seems to have fallen off the Good For Constructions :)

As of today the pedestrian span across the road is still missing so no connection between the airport link and the BTS unless you go down to street level. A few weeks ago I did see someone being hoisted up and using a measuring tape on the concrete beams.

There was only a short period of public trial runs so far. The full test run, open to the public, is scheduled to start on December 5. The official opening is now set for April 2010. Cost for a ticket will be 150 Baht for a single journey between airport and city terminal.

Not sure if im becoming tight-fisted in my old-age (probably am), but 150bt seems quite expensive considering the general cost of public transport and taxis around town.

Remember airport bus from DM?It was 100B,so 150B on new rail link doesnt seem to much.Similar train in HK cost also 100,but HK$ which is 5 times more!

In KL it costs about 350B;in Singapore - may be 40B only(it is regular MRT not airport train)

Could I ask here,on the same shot - how much is normal taxi fare(meter) from new airport to Morchit bus station?Thanks for any advice,I hate to be

overcharged.

Depending on the way that you go will depend on the price, but you should be around the 300 baht figure for that trip.

When it does finally open it is likely to be free rides for a short while, which will REALLY make the taxi Mafia happy :).

Whay an optimist! the ''mafia'' (BTW-this would imply a delcapo led ring or so-far from what happens here in BKK)-will simply replace its presence to the new CAT=City Air Terminal-no doubt with a 60 or 70 bt surcharge and more offers of special priced agreed fares. No time gain-no money gain. vompared to a taxi direct. This terminal is in such an unwanted location without even proper buslinks, that its now a real on stead of half monopoly there!

"the ''mafia'' (BTW-this would imply a delcapo led ring or so-far from what happens here in BKK)-will simply replace its presence to the new CAT=City Air Terminal-no doubt with a 60 or 70 bt surcharge and more offers of special priced agreed fares. No time gain-no money gain. vompared to a taxi direct. This terminal is in such an unwanted location without even proper buslinks, that its now a real on stead of half monopoly there!"

Can someone provide an English translation of this?

@KhunDave. The trial running of any kind is not open for the public! Well, technically it is but you must show your passport or ID at the State Railway office to obtain the tickets. There are bunch of them available the last time I checked, more than 20,000. This trial run doesn't mean that you can check in and bring luggages and stuff, you only get to ride the train back and forth and that's it. You are not allowed to leave the Suvarnabhumi Airport station at all, you must ride the train back to CAT.

For people who complain about the mafia, have you been to the airport recently. Most of them are gone from the 2nd floor which is good news! At least they get a hang of it. Things are improving and it's still much better than those ghettoish airports of Los Angeles or Chicago. (Despite the fact that it's not up to the par with neighbouring countries' main airports like Changi, Hong Kong, KLIA and Seoul.)

As for connections to the other mass transit systems, the City Line of the ARL will connect with BTS Phayathai Station. The CAT will be linked with an MRT station, the tendering process for the underground connection is on the way. Please please please do not bash before you know the facts.

As for connections to the other mass transit systems, the City Line of the ARL will connect with BTS Phayathai Station. The CAT will be linked with an MRT station, the tendering process for the underground connection is on the way. Please please please do not bash before you know the facts.

Clearly you are the expert on such things, and that is not a sarcastic comment, but why do they wait until the thing is almost open before they even tender for the building of an underground link?

@KhunDave. The trial running of any kind is not open for the public! Well, technically it is but you must show your passport or ID at the State Railway office to obtain the tickets.

Is the state railway office in Hua Lamphong? I'd be willing to come downtown to try this out. Is anyone else planning on it?

@KhunDave. The trial running of any kind is not open for the public! Well, technically it is but you must show your passport or ID at the State Railway office to obtain the tickets.

Is the state railway office in Hua Lamphong? I'd be willing to come downtown to try this out. Is anyone else planning on it?

It is.

Clearly you are the expert on such things, and that is not a sarcastic comment, but why do they wait until the thing is almost open before they even tender for the building of an underground link?

Because it is the other entity that is building the connection. It's the BMA (Bangkok Metropolitan Administration), not SRT or MRT. And you know how much of a bitch the SRT can be when it comes to working with others (not now though, I mean before the SRT administration really has the power before that it's the labor union)

I saw it running today, it was headed towards the airport and I had a good enough view to see lots of heads through the tinted glass. I believe that today the 5th was the start of public access to the testing so hoping that one of the venerable TV Bangkok residents with too much time on their hands will give it a shot and report back.

I had to pop out the the airport to buy an AirAsia ticket this morning and would like to think that using the rapid transit would be a easier way to do this.

I had to pop out the the airport to buy an AirAsia ticket this morning and would like to think that using the rapid transit would be a easier way to do this.

Seems to me that buying a ticket on Air Asia's website is an "easier way" than riding the airport link and wasting a few hours on top of that, unless you consider traveling to Swampy a day out :)

I saw it running today, it was headed towards the airport and I had a good enough view to see lots of heads through the tinted glass. I believe that today the 5th was the start of public access to the testing so hoping that one of the venerable TV Bangkok residents with too much time on their hands will give it a shot and report back.

Nope. The public trial run is due to end on Monday (today as of this time).

If you want to use it, then you gotta wait until April. Very sad how they have to delay all this because of the stupid labor union. Reminds me of the labor union drama they had in Paris with SNCF.

The whole rial link is a gigantic white elephant - why would anyone want to use it in prefernec eot a taxi? It only cuts out the fast (freeway) part of your journey to/from the airport and then you have to get to/from the airport rail station anyway - heaps more hassle and a lot slower than a taxi. And if its 150 baht you will end up paying less to get a taxi (for most ultimate destinations) even if you are traveling alone. Even if it is a bit cheaper overall, who in their right mind wants to endure all the hassle to possible save about $1 ??

Can you imagine the chaos if thousands of bag toting tourists actually tried to get off the train in the city? The currently well mannered BTS stations would be thronged with touts and dodgy taxi drivers. Doesn’t bear thinking about!

But I don’t think many tourists will take the rail link, and at least it gives people an option. I head out to Swampy quite a bit to greet arriving friends, it will be nice to avoid the taxis and traffic on the way out..Think I’ll probably catch a cab back in, can’t see any way to do it without double handling luggage and dealing with the Tax-maf.

Yup. About the touts and taxi-maf, you can't really be sure. They will be back! But the system sure will be another option for people.

The real deal is when they extend the ARL system to Pattaya and Rayong. (40 mins to Pattaya) That's when the system will be put into the real use.

EDIT:

so far it looks pretty clean

Edited by infernalman7