Anyone Tried Out The New Airport Link Yet?

sbk

I had to pop out the the airport to buy an AirAsia ticket this morning and would like to think that using the rapid transit would be a easier way to do this.

Seems to me that buying a ticket on Air Asia's website is an "easier way" than riding the airport link and wasting a few hours on top of that, unless you consider traveling to Swampy a day out :)

Yes, yes, yes... but, AirAsia doesn't allow you to purchase online when requested travel is within 24-hours.

Now I suppose you will suggest I use their call center and book it that way. You should try that some time!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, yes, yes... but, AirAsia doesn't allow you to purchase online when requested travel is within 24-hours.

Now I suppose you will suggest I use their call center and book it that way. You should try that some time!

I thought that when you made your post, I have been in this position a couple of times, have you tried using one of their booths in Tescos and the like? I have usually gone to their booth in Tescos at On Nut, there is direct access from the BTS, it's convienient for me but of course depends where you live.

• 3 weeks later...

I've read this entire thread and it's not clear to me if it is possible or not to take the airport link to a BTS or MRT station thus being able to make it all the way to BKK? I do understand hauling one's luggage on the BTS or MRT is probably impossible but for Domestic flights inside Thailand where I just have a bookbag it could be doable. So does the Airport link actually provide a way to get on the BTS and MRT even if a short walk is needed between stations and one in which you don't have to risk your life running across a highway?

I've read this entire thread and it's not clear to me if it is possible or not to take the airport link to a BTS or MRT station thus being able to make it all the way to BKK? I do understand hauling one's luggage on the BTS or MRT is probably impossible but for Domestic flights inside Thailand where I just have a bookbag it could be doable. So does the Airport link actually provide a way to get on the BTS and MRT even if a short walk is needed between stations and one in which you don't have to risk your life running across a highway?

No.

Not yet. The "end of the line" is not Makkasan (sp?) Station, the city line aspect of the airport train ends at Phya Thai BTS station. There isn't an elevated walkway connecting the end to the BTS yet, but it is in the plan, and may be completed by the time the train opens. Even if it isn't finished, there are no roads to be crossed there, you would just have to go down and up a bunch of stairs at both stations.

There are also plans to join Makkasan Station to the Petchaburi MRT station, but I think that will take a long time.

This is why I think that the express aspect of the airport line won't see as much use as the city one. The city line will be cheaper, only 15 minutes slower, and will be close (or connected to) the BTS. Unless the BTS makes some kind of regulation about luggage, I think this will be much more popular.

Edited by Meridian007

You gotta luv it... In order to get to the slick link to the airport, you've gotta journey to the heart of traffic-dom in Bangkok, second only to Yaowarat: Makkasan! It will take most of us longer to get that far than to simply scoot right on over to the airport, by whatever means available.

I reckon the kids going to uni in the Hua Mark area come out the best. And maybe a housing estate or two along the way, plus the wealthier airport employees.

Tourists? You're kidding, right?

There was only a short period of public trial runs so far. The full test run, open to the public, is scheduled to start on December 5. The official opening is now set for April 2010. Cost for a ticket will be 150 Baht for a single journey between airport and city terminal.

Not sure if im becoming tight-fisted in my old-age (probably am), but 150bt seems quite expensive considering the general cost of public transport and taxis around town.

Well the fee is 50 Baht for the transportation and 100 Baht for the Taxi driver doesn't fill your ears with nonsense and try to scam you.

• 7 months later...

@ 400 THB

There was only a short period of public trial runs so far. The full test run, open to the public, is scheduled to start on December 5. The official opening is now set for April 2010. Cost for a ticket will be 150 Baht for a single journey between airport and city terminal.

Not sure if im becoming tight-fisted in my old-age (probably am), but 150bt seems quite expensive considering the general cost of public transport and taxis around town.

Remember airport bus from DM?It was 100B,so 150B on new rail link doesnt seem to much.Similar train in HK cost also 100,but HK$ which is 5 times more!

In KL it costs about 350B;in Singapore - may be 40B only(it is regular MRT not airport train)

Could I ask here,on the same shot - how much is normal taxi fare(meter) from new airport to Morchit bus station?Thanks for any advice,I hate to be

overcharged.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried it out - 15 baht at the moment. However, if you have luggage it is just a total pain in the ass.

Be warned as well, Taxi drivers by Makasan are con artists - the guys meter racked up 160 baht from there to Asoke - on a journey that should be around 80 baht at the best of time taking the longer route around. The station is not user friendly, poor signage - to be honest a total farce. Will not be using it again.

Tried it out - 15 baht at the moment. However, if you have luggage it is just a total pain in the ass.

If, for no other reason, it's incredibly crowded, even at non-rush hour times!

I did a day-trip from Jomtien to Bangok using the train between the airport and Phaya Thai round-trip, and even at 1030am, it would have been a P.I.T.A. to ride with luggage. Needless to say, my return trip to the airport at 530pm was "crush hour."