One way ticket

I have a one way ticket from Dubai to Bangkok and want to know if I can apply for a visa on entry if I just have a one way ticket.

I understand that British passport holders can enter without a visa for a stay of not more than 30 days, but does this still apply if you hold a one way ticket?

???

As a British passport holder you will get 30 days on arrival, for tourist purposes.

The only problem you can encounter is the Airline, not the Thai Immigration. The airline can reject you, if they are naughty, but usually no problems.

I have arrived from UK,Cambodia and Vietnam on 1 way tickets and never had a problem.As fester says some Airlines para-noid but usually OK.

Immigration/entry a "doddle" But do NOT overstay VISA.Welcome to LOS... :o

i came across your "website/news-letter" by accident, and am SO HAPPY i did!!! must congratulate you on an EXCELLENT job!!! now i have something maybe you can help me with, and at the same time (if u publish) may be of interest to some of your readers.

Recently i flew from BKK. to Aussie, to visit my brother, and spend a short holiday, before my return to Thailand, where i now "live" and have done for the last (approx) 18 months. As u are most surely aware (and also your readers), us FARANGS often have to leave Thailand to re-new visas etc., Well i flew Cathay Pacific on a return ticket i.e. BKK/SYDNEY/BKK. on my first day in OZ i received a frightening phone call that my Thai wife who was about 8 months pregnant, was rushed to hospital because suddenly took ill and her sister informed me a miscarriage seemed likely, and also other complications.

When i explained this to Cathay Pacific airport staff at the airport they were very helpfull, and told me that the "style" of ticket i had purchased, no problem to bring return date forward! so i flew Quantas up to Brisbane and went to the CHECK-IN counter at the airport was told by the senior staff member working at the "service desk", that indeed there was no problem with changing my return ticket date, BUT, she could NOT LET ME BOARD a Cathay Pacific flight without being able to produce an ongoing ticket out of Thailand. i explained that there was no problem as us farangs (to my knowledge) are never asked to produce such a ticket on arrival, as tha Thai authorities are well aware we go by road to Cambodia/Laos/Malaysia by road. She refused to budge, and informed me that she was "going by the book" and that the guidelines as set out by the Thai immigration authorities stipulate that a foreigner entering Thailand MUST have a return or on-going ticket. Whilst this may very well be true, and probably is, i wonder just how many, (if any) of your readers have experienced this, with either Cathay Pacific or any other airline!! i explained all this to her and because of my circumstances, told her that i was willing to fly, and if refused entry on these grounds, then UP 2 ME.

Only because i knew i would not be. i first visited Thailand about 14 yrs. ago and have been a regular visitor ever since. i have NEVER been asked to produce either a return ticket or ongoing!! Would anyone care to comment?? on my arrival back in Thailand after spending ALL my holiday money to purchase a new ticket from another airline,i returned and sure enough, as per usual, entered with no hassle. since my return, i have contacted Cathay Pacific (head-office) and told themthe whole story. despite numerous e-mails back and forth i am still waiting for a straight-forward answer to my question which was "what is your policy regarding allowing passangers permission to board on a return ticket to Thailand, and why, after explaining that i was going overland, by bus to Cambodia, was i not allowed to fly. They still do no acknowledge my direct question. i am wondering if all their customers are treated the same, when flying to Thailand!! i VERY much doubt it, or their flights to Thailand would be a revenue loss for sure. Can any of you or your readers perhaps help me with this?? i CANNOT get a decent reply, or explanation from this airline!! i must just lastly explain that all i have asked them to do is verify that this incidend did indeed happen, and that because they refused to allow me to fly, i had to buy another ticket!! PLEASE ASSIST if possible. Many thanks,

Yeah, that's strange.  I've flown to Thailand on one-way tickets and the return leg of round-trip tickets before with no difficulty at all.  I've never flown Cathay Pacific though.  Only Asiana (Korean) and EVA (Taiwanese).  Flying EVA is quite nice, by the way.

Chuck

Ref my previous Post...

updated by Thai Immigration on December 29th, 2002.

"Visas on arrival" will be delivered if and only if the visitor:

has a valid passport with 6 month validity and an empty page for the visa;

***** has proof of confirmed air tickets showing 15 (30) days or less in Thailand;

must have clean record in Thailand (no criminal history);

must carry at least $200 per person or $400 per family;

should note that NO extension will be granted.

Purpose of stay must be tourism.

I have never been asked to show a confirmed ticket or indeed how much "dosh" I had on me but these are the rules

???