Major Retailers Start Charging For Plastic Bags

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A step in the right direction. Time to buy those cloth shopping bags people. :)

The biggest culprits for wasting and using more plastic bags than necessarry are Tesco Lotus and Big C. They are the people who should be made to cut down on the amount used. I shopped yesterday and 3 carriers were used where one would have done. This is regular. Stop the supermarkets over using before you charge the customer, but yes, I agree, cloth bags are much better, re- usable, and better for the enviroment. Stronger too. :D

Half a step in the right direction, because there will still be plastic bags.

Now why not get rid of these plastic bags all together and sell paper bags, which are easily biodegradable?

We have started long time already to use re-usable textile bags.

"7-Eleven, where you get a bag regardless of the size of your purchase, plastic bags inside plastic bags, a plastic straw if you buy a litre of milk etc."

I've heard this complaint before yet I have never had any trouble and I don't speak Thai. I just point to the cloth bag I carry with me and put up a palm and shake my head to the offer of drinking straws. Admittedly, I tend to shop at the same four or five 7-11s - so maybe they just know me.

Charging for plastic bags? Okay by me.

[quote name='stevehaigh' post='3143496' date='2009-11-16 11:13:02'

i think part of the staff training at 7/11it is that every customer has to leave with at least one bag. i sometimes take my stuff out of the bag and leave on the counter but many times they don't use it on another customer, they just throw it away!

I've managed to train my local 7 Eleven staff not to give me a plastic bag anymore! A quick look from them, a shake of the head from me and I'm on my way minus the plastic. Check out the "Great Pacific Garbage Patch" or the even cooler sounding "Pacific Garbage Vortex" on Wikipedia. Scary and shameful (obviously not solely blaming 7 for this)

Has anyone tried to shame/put pressure on 7? I for one would join that cause.

Fantastic news!

It's about time this country begins to cut down on it's waste.

Rubbish is everywhere. Plastic bags but also plastic bottles.

When will they start a recycle program for bottles of all materials?

Just wanted to complain about 7/11 wasting plastic too, but about 10 people already said the same thing.

They usually get those straws in my bag before I think to stop them, so I just put in on the counter. I know it get's thrown away, but at least they might start to ask (foreigners at least) if we want a straw for our half gallon of milk and liter of coke.

This sounds like a great idea....and it should work......but it's not new by any means. Charging for plastic bags had been done for years in western countries. All the supermarkets in my home town in Canada started doing it and what actually happened was that most people just paid for the bags instead of getting them free....so the result was that the supermarkets got a new and very profitable product line. A few stalwarts use cloth bags for sure....but often forget to bring them when they go shopping...so after all the initial promotion dies down....its plastic as usual. If the Phuket stores charge 2 baht a bag....and a bag actually costs them 0.3 baht....they will have a bigger margin on the bags than on most of the other merchandise they sell.. :D The only way you will ever stop Thailand from being littered with plastic bags is to ban then altogether.....and what a shock that would be to the poor 7-11 staff..... :D [/b]

The other one of course is plastic bottles......wrapped in plastic....which is then put in plastic bags........double plastic bags... :) ..... plastic plastic everywhere....

and now we have to pay.... :D

I do hope I'm wrong because I hate the bloody things............but that is what happened back home..........

Very good move. I hope it catches on and spreads throughout the country.

Unfortunately it doesn't include the worst givers of plastic, 7-Eleven, where you get a bag regardless of the size of your purchase, plastic bags inside plastic bags, a plastic straw if you buy a litre of milk etc.

You're right! 7-Eleven is the worse of the worse. They might give your money back in a plastic bag. I always refuse any plastic bag at all in 7-Eleven... so uneducated stupid staff over there...

Hope the money will be used for collecting old rubbish plastic bags along the roads or on the beaches, in the klongs, the gutters, drainage pipes, open fields, market places etc. But if this money again disappears in the pockets of the whole sale managers... to what (who's) benefit is it then?