.bmp Images, A No No?

udon

A bmp file is mostly a huge waste of space. For example, if I take one of my .jpg images straight out of my digital camera (1.9 meg) and save it to file in a bmp format, that image is now over 11.4 meg....

With .jpg images, some caution needs to be excercised when viewing them in some programs, for each time it's saved, it will lose more quality because some programs will save them at the same level of compression you first dialled in when, and if, you used any compression at first. Each save will be compressed more and more...

It can be set to varying limits within the board I believe, and it depends on how much storage space is availible on the server. Some functions have file size limits like personal photos (50kb). Avatars are limited by dimension.

One thing to remember is that alot of people view this forum on crappy dialup connections so keep them in mind before posting a large file. :o

cv

A bmp file is mostly a huge waste of space. For example, if I take one of my .jpg images straight out of my digital camera (1.9 meg) and save it to file in a bmp format, that image is now over 11.4 meg....

With .jpg images, some caution needs to be excercised when viewing them in some programs, for each time it's saved, it will lose more quality because some programs will save them at the same level of compression you first dialled in when, and if, you used any compression at first. Each save will be compressed more and more...

Hi L,

the .bmp's were only 12k, the board simply refused this format from photobucket's (url)..

I have since changed all my .bmp's over to .jpg's.

They were all taken from the net.

Cheers