Chiang Mai Mail

jomama

For some reason the other evening, the subject of the Chiang Mai Mail newspaper came up. Someone asked if anyone bought it, and the people there said no.

Then a friend of mine who works at an international school shared a story. It seems the newspaper has repeatedly requested news releases from the school, which sometimes they supplied. After the stories were published, invariably an email or phone call would come: “And how about that ad? -- you should keep your name out there.”

He said they played along for awhile, writing stories and buying ads, then realized they were not only paying (not inexpensive) money to help finance the venture, but also doing the writing to help fill its pages. Not once did a reporter arrive at the school to actually do what newspapers are supposed to do -- report. They also realized whomever bought the biggest ads got the best “coverage” -- which was verbatim what the schools themselves wrote.

“The stuff we wrote was printed exactly word-for-word as we wrote it,” he said. “There was no editing whatever.”

“There are several schools doing this, but there is one school in particular that is really promoting itself,” he said. “The kids out there can’t get a haircut without out it being a news story in the Chiang Mai Mail.”

He said they asked around and realized that few people they found actually bought the paper, so they began to question its readership. They also questioned the ethics of the entire concept. He said they began to wonder if the only people taking notice of all this “competition” that the paper was trying to start were the schools themselves.

“We spend our energy to educating kids to the best of our ability,” he said. “To write stories and generate ads every week took away time that was best spent on improving the school itself.” He added that schools are not “used car lots” and questioned the appropriateness of “endless self promotion.”

I know from viewing the paper’s website that there are several restaurants and hotels that cannot f*rt without getting their picture in the paper. I went and bought it and guess what -- that’s their advertisers. Of course there will always be a relationship, but this seems a bit blatant to me.

My questions are:

Is it right for schools to overly promote themselves?

How many TV members buy the paper?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do read the online edition, and I do find some intersting tidbits in the various sections, sometimes.

But I know what you mean. Even the news section, where reporting should be non-predjudicial in my opinion, there are little personal comments oftentimes added as a final sentence in some stories. Even if I agree with the comments, it immediately strikes me with some concern about writers maybe 'forming' a story around their point of view...

Many news stories aren't printed, like news stories about farang pedophiles arrested in the area. To me, reporters have a responsibility to report on such community safety issues, even if you refuse to name names... All their news is basically uninteresting to most, I feel assured.

In this regard, I think CityLife does a better job than anyone else in reporting on local issues of concern.

In the other sections, It's obvious to see that it's all fluff stuff, but the restaurant info and community events has been usefull to me. And, of course, you'll find Michael's (and/or his wife's) photo in every issue :o

I have no idea of all the gossip you are telling us here. Such accusations can never be fairly addressed here, so I see no point in getting hooked by that troll..

Useful info, but very light on any 'meat' content, at least online. I encourage their coverage of school activities, and hope it continues and expands. That is a fairly large part of our community here, and I see nothing wrong with schools promoting their activities to the max.

It's online and free. That's the main hook for me :D

I have no idea of all the gossip you are telling us here. Such accusations can never be fairly addressed here, so I see no point in getting hooked by that troll..

It's online and free. That's the main hook for me  :o

Thanks for your comments. I don't mean to be a troll, nor do I want to spread "gossip". The information I gave comes directly from the person responsible for advertising and public relations. I don't name schools because I don't want to start a p*ssing match about schools as has happened in this forum before.

The point I was trying to make was that a newspaper should collect information, check it, edit it, then print it. Not just slap in any press release they get...

I agree there is much in Chiang Mai that goes unreported -- information that would be of true value -- such as those you mentioned as well as crime and courts, and not just about farangs, but about Thais, too.

Edited by jomama

For some reason the other evening, the subject of the Chiang Mai Mail newspaper came up. Someone asked if anyone bought it, and the people there said no.

Note: PeaceBlondie, ProthaiExpat, perhaps 1-3 others and new/recent arrivals are excluded from my comments below: I thank the first 5 for their straight talk about the problem.

I read it. It has good articles on the pollution problem that plagues Chiang Mai.

I have read the other papers mentioned but it did not seem that they ran articles of this nature. Only more of the same Lala hocus-pocus to convince everybody that Chiang Mai is some paradise!

Seems to me that the people who inhabit the Chiang Mai forum have downplayed the severity of the pollution problem -- and they have been apparently doing this for a long time.

One Lala has been calling this place Paradise !

Another Lala, a senior official here at the board, has stated a few times "there are NO negatives to living in Chiang Mai"

Who is worse? The LOS Govt officials who downplayed the Flu problems that gripped LOS or these Lalas?

My theory is that they must be related!

Bring the Chiang Mai Forum to life -- revive it -- resuscitate it? :D

Give these gentlemen a decent burial! :o

And to the several newbies who posted in the last 3-5 months that they are planning to move here with the wife and kids, here's my message to you --"prepare for heavy medical expenses for your children .... for the rest of their lives!"

Want to give me flak? Go for it! The above is the way I see it!

:D:D

Note: PeaceBlondie, ProthaiExpat, perhaps 1-3 others and new/recent arrivals are excluded from my comments below: I thank the first 5 for their straight talk about the problem.

I read it. It has good articles on the pollution problem that plagues Chiang Mai.

I have read the other papers mentioned but it did not seem that they ran articles of this nature. Only more of the same Lala hocus-pocus to convince everybody that Chiang Mai is some paradise!

Seems to me that the people who inhabit the Chiang Mai forum have downplayed the severity of the pollution problem -- and they have been apparently doing this for a long time.

Another Lala, a senior official here at the board, has stated a few times "there are NO negatives to living in Chiang Mai"

Who is worse? The LOS Govt officials who downplayed the Flu problems that gripped LOS or these Lalas?

And to the several newbies who posted in the last 3-5 months that they are planning to move here with the wife and kids, here's my message to you --"prepare for heavy medical expenses for your children .... for the rest of their lives!"

Just another troll....c'est la vie :D

Harmonica,

I have looked at your personal details (which are all empty) your perogative, but would it be safe to say that you live in Chaingmai or dont live there for all the reasons you mentioned ? Just curious at it is a very HEAVY post

Harmonica,

I have looked at your personal details (which are all empty) your perogative, but would it be safe to say that you live in Chaingmai or dont live there for all the reasons you mentioned ? Just curious at it is a very HEAVY post

Heavy,..that's an understatement TP!

Maybe if the polution is too bad, he should stay locked inside with his graphs .. :o

Just another troll....c'est la vie :o

It seems people are all trolls if they post about something other than road trips in the truck or places to eat...Don't take on controversial issues or make strong statements, otherwise you're a troll.

And the CM Mail is not the only publication to write about the pollution problem in CM. It has been widely reported and warnings issued by the city government itself.

It seems people are all trolls if they post about something other than road trips in the truck or places to eat...Don't take on controversial issues or make strong statements, otherwise you're a troll.

Sorry about the jibe, so...

I’ll tell you the truth: My friend who is in charge of PR and advertising at one of the international schools was curious what the community thinks of the newspaper and whether commercialization of schools is a good thing.

He too is a member of TV, but did not want to post these questions because he might be perceived as being biased and didn’t want to start a problem with other schools.

I wrote down what he said happened about this, and posted it. I believe these are legitimate questions: whether a local newspaper is doing a professional, indeed ethical job, and whether schools that “talk the talk” are indeed “walking the walk” -- or just devoting a great deal of effort to PR and more bucks to the bottom line.

…and you call me a troll.

I know you “Big L.” -- met you perhaps 12 years ago. I have been here longer than that.

I think you should be careful about labeling posters who appear to be newbies or whatever. The point of a discussion group is to hear different voices.

I’ll tell you the truth: My friend who is in charge of PR and advertising at one of the international schools was curious what the community thinks of the newspaper and whether commercialization of schools is a good thing.

He too is a member of TV, but did not want to post these questions because he might be perceived as being biased and didn’t want to start a problem with other schools.

I wrote down what he said happened about this, and posted it. I believe these are legitimate questions: whether a local newspaper is doing a professional, indeed ethical job, and whether schools that “talk the talk” are indeed “walking the walk” -- or just devoting a great deal of effort to PR and more bucks to the bottom line.

I know you “Big L.” -- met you perhaps 12 years ago. I have been here longer than that.

I think you should be careful about labeling posters who appear to be newbies or whatever. The point of a discussion group is to hear different voices.

The comment you quoted wasn't directed at you, but if the shoe fits... :D

I call them like I see them, no matter where it falls. I play no favorites, and I'm sincere in what I write, with no hidden agendas, and I do everything I can to make sure I'm being honest, balanced, and forthright in my comments. I stand behind that, and I challenge anyone to show different. I know I may be wrong sometimes, and I have no problem accepting my responsibility for that and making any appropriate ammends.

But I have little patience for sideways crap from anyone, no matter who they are. I couldn't care less if anyone is a newbie or oldbie. That has nothing to do with anything. If someone feels they have an issue with me, then please come out straight and civil and discuss it like an adult. The other shit is just childish and indicative of a fragile little ego gone wild, with no intention of peaceful resolution outside of flaming...

You may not like my style, but I'm a fair, reasonable, and generous person, as anyone who truly knows me will tell you. As I've said before, I'd rather be supporting others here than getting in stupid pissing contests, but when someone tries to shit on me, then they will know my feelings about that... That's the way I operate online, or off. I don't hide from anything or fear anyone because I don't need to.

So, if you have something you would like to discuss with me in a civil manner, with some semblance of an open mind with reasonable thinking, here I am ready to discuss.

If you are sincere and really have something you feel I need to hear but fear writing here for whatever reason, then call me at 09-851-4676. My name is Lawrence Wheeler.

:D

I call them like I see them, no matter where it falls. I play no favorites, and I'm sincere in what I write, with no hidden agendas, and I do everything I can to make sure I'm being honest, balanced, and forthright in my comments. I stand behind that, and I challenge anyone to show different. I know I may be wrong sometimes, and I have no problem accepting my responsibility for that and making any appropriate ammends.

But I have little patience for sideways crap from anyone, no matter who they are. I couldn't care less if anyone is a newbie or oldbie. That has nothing to do with anything. If someone feels they have an issue with me, then please come out straight and civil and discuss it like an adult. The other shit is just childish and indicative of a fragile little ego gone wild, with no intention of peaceful resolution outside of flaming...

You may not like my style, but I'm a fair, reasonable, and generous person, as anyone who truly knows me will tell you. As I've said before, I'd rather be supporting others here than getting in stupid pissing contests, but when someone tries to shit on me, then they will know my feelings about that... That's the way I operate online, or off. I don't hide from anything or fear anyone because I don't need to.

So, if you have something you would like to discuss with me in a civil manner, with some semblance of an open mind with reasonable thinking, here I am ready to discuss.

If you are sincere and really have something you feel I need to hear but fear writing here for whatever reason, then call me at 09-851-4676. My name is Lawrence Wheeler.

I agree that your posts are thoughtful and reasonable. That's why I was surprised when you wrote in reply to my original post:

>>I have no idea of all the gossip you are telling us here. Such accusations can never be fairly addressed here, so I see no point in getting hooked by that troll..

The rest of your original reply was on the button, IMHO. I just felt that the subject was worthy of discussion, and don't believe I was making accusations, but simply relating information which I am confident is accurate. I didn't think I was trolling.

I have no hidden agenda, except that I used to be on the publishing field in the U.S. The things I discussed are contrary to many of the principles that are considered to be very important to newspapers, even local ones (which is where I mostly worked).

I just wondered what the rest of the community thought, but we got sidetracked. I haven't been involved in discussion groups that much and perhaps am not as delicate as I should be -- too direct, perhaps, and I accept that fault. I too am not interested in flame wars or whatever it you'all call it.

Thanks.

Getting back on-topic, I bought the Chiang Mai Mail a couple times after it was first published. I wasn't impressed, nor did I feel like I was receiving value-for-money, so I quickly abandoned that practice. There were a couple of worthwhile articles in each issue but as others have pointed out, the paper appeared to be mostly a clearing house for unedited press releases. It's a shame really as I do think there is a market for a local paper reporting non-Bangkok news.

Getting back on-topic, I bought the Chiang Mai Mail a couple times after it was first published.  I wasn't impressed, nor did I feel like I was receiving value-for-money, so I quickly abandoned that practice.  There were a couple of worthwhile articles in each issue but as others have pointed out, the paper appeared to be mostly a clearing house for unedited press releases.  It's a shame really as I do think there is a market for a local paper reporting non-Bangkok news.

It’s a shame, because I know from 20 years of (mostly local) newspaper work that the local paper can help “bind” the community together as well as keep them informed of what’s going on.

We had many reporters, who had “beats” -- police, courts, town council, schools, etc. The new guy always got stuck with the school beat because school board meetings were often endless and acrimonious. He also attended sporting events and reported on them as well as other education-related stories.

In the ancient time before the internet, local papers were a life-line of information to small communities: Why the roads weren’t repaired, why the government built a new office when the old one was just fine, who came to town to visit relatives, etc. I look back with nostalgia -- but then we know it probably wasn’t that wonderful in reality.

I would never try to put out a newspaper with such a small staff as is the case in CM. I don’t know if they have any full-time reporters, but if they do, they don’t have enough. The thing is, Thai reporters who write decent English would be easy to find and not that expensive. But you would have to have a good editor to clean up the English.

Having their production department in Pattaya doesn’t help either. Because that requires even more lead time, most of the paper is two weeks old by the time it’s published. They probably leave a “news hole” to the latest possible moment -- so they can get in timely stories like the recent song thaew protest -- so the front page will be all right and reasonably fresh.

I agree CM could support a good weekly, but there are already so many magazines, etc., it would be a couple of years of doing a good job before the paper became respected enough to gain loyalty and long-term advertising support. So it would need good financial backing in the beginning, and also for the steady long-haul (which we know can be a problem in Thailand).

I guess this forum is the closest thing to a local paper we have.

I agree with the first post I have spent some money advertising with CM Mail and agree with their comments on the way they try to bring you in.

It is quit expensive for the readership When i asked i cant recall the figure but i remeber them saying it exchanged hands many times so many more read itthan just how many they print.

I enjoy reading it and think it is very good for what it is. the biggest plus is that it can be read on the Internet for free. but i like to look at the ads and see what new business have opened up and check them out. All my dealings with the Owners and staff have been very pleasant.

:o

I agree with the first post I have spent some money advertising with CM Mail and agree with their comments on the way they try to bring you in.

It is quit expensive for the readership When i asked i  cant recall the figure but i remeber them saying it exchanged hands many times so many more read itthan just how many they print.

I enjoy reading it and think it is very good for what it is. the biggest plus is that it can be read on the Internet for free. but i like to look at the ads and see what new business have opened up and check them out. All my dealings with the Owners and staff have been very pleasant.

Agree with your comments on the owners, nice people. I buy the paper occasionally and I find myself impressed by some well written articles and laughing at some of the puff jobs. The school refered to must be Prem, it's in every week. So also is the Honory German Consul. He has the worlds best job. :o

Controversy - They have an article on a local Expat Personality. The last issue featured an englishman who has arrived recently and now works as a Farang Volunteer with the Chiang Mai Police. I'll say no more.

Harmonica,

Heavy,..that's an understatement TP!

Maybe if the polution is too bad, he should stay locked inside with his graphs .. :D

Lala #3. :o:D:D

Lala #1. :D:D

Lala #1. :D:D

Harmonica,

You are correct -- it was meant to be a heavy post!

Disgusted with the sloppiness, miss-goody-2shoes attitude and total BS that these oldtimers who inhabit this Forum spew out to the public who come here seeking straight answers. :o:D

Endless crap about where to buy strawberries, cherries, oranges from Mai Sai, furniture up the yin yang, but ask about matters of importance, like about the frigging air -- and every mother just goes Type 3! :D:D:D

Yes, I did move here -- and shortly after moving I made a commitment to stay for one year -- house annual rental and paid the tuition fees at a good (2nd to BKK) Beauty School for my TG to get her license. There was no decent school in Phuket, so this factor alone offers mitigating circumstances. I didn't want to live in Bangkok under any circumstances.

So I am going to stay for this one year -- she gets her license by December (hopefully)! :D

Then I am clearing out -- this city is a f*cking deathtrap. Don't know where to just yet, but if nothing shows up, then its back to Phuket.

There's nothing wrong with this board; its this particular Forum I'm talking about!

Braindead and loaded to the hilt with Lalas -- I've named #1 and #3 in this thread!

There is no cure for these Lalas -- just burn it to the ground and start a new one -- that's what I'm saying!

Nothing against you, ThaiPauly -- just answering your question, or attempting to, anyway.

There you have it!

Have a good one.

Heh, as someone not living in Thailand atm, I was going to enquire why Harmonica chose to go to Chiang Mai and leave Phuket as one of the two would be my choice to live. Must admit I admire his frankness :o and certainly along with other factors the pollution is pushing me more towards Phuket.

Wake up Lawrence! :o

You're not the only one who is sincere -- take the halo off and get a whiff of what you're shoveling!

I'm here now and can see what you've been calling Paradise -- you're a goddamn lunatic!

If this is a territorial thing, OK, I'll go piss on a tree in San Kamphaeng. :D

Get that other lunatic, Lala #3, chuchok who gets financial advice from a tuk-tuk driver and come to my house -- I'll straighten you 2 out over coffee!