Chiang Mai Mail

jomama

Just another troll....c'est la vie :D

It seems people are all trolls if they post about something other than road trips in the truck or places to eat...Don't take on controversial issues or make strong statements, otherwise you're a troll.

Sorry about the jibe, so...

I’ll tell you the truth: My friend who is in charge of PR and advertising at one of the international schools was curious what the community thinks of the newspaper and whether commercialization of schools is a good thing.

He too is a member of TV, but did not want to post these questions because he might be perceived as being biased and didn’t want to start a problem with other schools.

I wrote down what he said happened about this, and posted it. I believe these are legitimate questions: whether a local newspaper is doing a professional, indeed ethical job, and whether schools that “talk the talk” are indeed “walking the walk” -- or just devoting a great deal of effort to PR and more bucks to the bottom line.

…and you call me a troll.

I know you “Big L.” -- met you perhaps 12 years ago. I have been here longer than that.

I think you should be careful about labeling posters who appear to be newbies or whatever. The point of a discussion group is to hear different voices.

The comment you quoted wasn't directed at you, but if the shoe fits... :D

I call them like I see them, no matter where it falls. I play no favorites, and I'm sincere in what I write, with no hidden agendas, and I do everything I can to make sure I'm being honest, balanced, and forthright in my comments. I stand behind that, and I challenge anyone to show different. I know I may be wrong sometimes, and I have no problem accepting my responsibility for that and making any appropriate ammends.

But I have little patience for sideways crap from anyone, no matter who they are. I couldn't care less if anyone is a newbie or oldbie. That has nothing to do with anything. If someone feels they have an issue with me, then please come out straight and civil and discuss it like an adult. The other shit is just childish and indicative of a fragile little ego gone wild, with no intention of peaceful resolution outside of flaming...

You may not like my style, but I'm a fair, reasonable, and generous person, as anyone who truly knows me will tell you. As I've said before, I'd rather be supporting others here than getting in stupid pissing contests, but when someone tries to shit on me, then they will know my feelings about that... That's the way I operate online, or off. I don't hide from anything or fear anyone because I don't need to.

So, if you have something you would like to discuss with me in a civil manner, with some semblance of an open mind with reasonable thinking, here I am ready to discuss.

If you are sincere and really have something you feel I need to hear but fear writing here for whatever reason, then call me at 09-851-4676. My name is Lawrence Wheeler.

:D

Wake up Lawrence! :o

You're not the only one who is sincere -- take the halo off and get a whiff of what you're shoveling!

I'm here now and can see what you've been calling Paradise -- you're a goddamn lunatic!

If this is a territorial thing, OK, I'll go piss on a tree in San Kamphaeng. :D

Get that other lunatic, Lala #3, chuchok who gets financial advice from a tuk-tuk driver and come to my house -- I'll straighten you 2 out over coffee!

Pop down to the saloon on the 14th...be great to meet you in person :D

No one said it was paradise...you are the one complaining like an old maid.I am always amazed on how your opinion is always correct and other people can't have their own opinions. I would normally call that type of person "a know it all smart arse"

You keep flaming people because they don't agree with your own micro-world...but that's ok because you insert smilies.

You never cease to amaze me.

Go bact to your own little world matey....if it's to hot in the kitchen.......

Get that other lunatic, Lala #3, chuchok who gets financial advice from a tuk-tuk driver and come to my house -- I'll straighten you 2 out over coffee!

Like wise...love to do the same to you.

Edited by chuchok

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, as someone not living in Thailand atm, I was going to enquire why Harmonica chose to go to Chiang Mai and leave Phuket as one of the two would be my choice to live.  Must admit I admire his frankness :D and certainly along with other factors the pollution is pushing me more towards Phuket.

The crucible structure of Chiang Mai has set it up to be an insidious death trap and the situation has been exponentializing for years.

Enjoy onself in the splendid restauants, bars, clubs etc? Sure, but die a little every second that goes by!

Some f*ckin Paradise!

So why did I come here?

I've lived in Phuket for 4+ years with my TGF -- that is the only place I've lived in in LOS. She is from the North (Nakhon Sawan) and does not like southern Thais at all. She wanted me to move to anywhere in the North -- just so she would not have to transact and interact with the "pushy, aggressive and prone-to-violence" southerners. She begged me to give CM a chance -- I agreed & that is why I flooded the forum with questions prior to my move here.

My personal experience with southerners is vastly different -- I have no problem with them and actually prefer them 100% to these deadhead, nobody-home northerners.

But I love the girl dearly and she is young, only 24, from a poor family and has made me a very happy person. So we moved here. It was a shot in the dark for which I take full responsibility and therefore blame nobody.

In hindsight, standing on its own merits or especially in comparision with Chiang Mai, Phuket is Paradise.

I am commited for one year -- after that we will move elsewhere or back to Phuket.

Restaurants? Phuket trounces CM 10 times over!

Nightlife? Same story.

Girls/women: CM has "dogs" -- Phuket has "lookers" by the truckload.

Cost of living? CM wins, but not by a significant margin.

Gyms, swimming pools etc., CM is a dog!

Climate? Phuket is sublime.

Ocean? Yeah! Let's not take that up!

There's plenty more ... but you get the point!

Were George Bush and I on talking terms, I would have suggested moving Saddam Hussein to CM for 3-4 years instead of invading Iraq! Better result would have been accomplished! :o

Go to Phuket -- especially if you have children! Go sit in the restaurant at the top of Kata hill -- take in the scenery and then tell me if I'm wrong.

Regards

:D:D

Just another troll....c'est la vie :D

It seems people are all trolls if they post about something other than road trips in the truck or places to eat...Don't take on controversial issues or make strong statements, otherwise you're a troll.

Sorry about the jibe, so...

I’ll tell you the truth: My friend who is in charge of PR and advertising at one of the international schools was curious what the community thinks of the newspaper and whether commercialization of schools is a good thing.

He too is a member of TV, but did not want to post these questions because he might be perceived as being biased and didn’t want to start a problem with other schools.

I wrote down what he said happened about this, and posted it. I believe these are legitimate questions: whether a local newspaper is doing a professional, indeed ethical job, and whether schools that “talk the talk” are indeed “walking the walk” -- or just devoting a great deal of effort to PR and more bucks to the bottom line.

…and you call me a troll.

I know you “Big L.” -- met you perhaps 12 years ago. I have been here longer than that.

I think you should be careful about labeling posters who appear to be newbies or whatever. The point of a discussion group is to hear different voices.

The comment you quoted wasn't directed at you, but if the shoe fits... :D

I call them like I see them, no matter where it falls. I play no favorites, and I'm sincere in what I write, with no hidden agendas, and I do everything I can to make sure I'm being honest, balanced, and forthright in my comments. I stand behind that, and I challenge anyone to show different. I know I may be wrong sometimes, and I have no problem accepting my responsibility for that and making any appropriate ammends.

But I have little patience for sideways crap from anyone, no matter who they are. I couldn't care less if anyone is a newbie or oldbie. That has nothing to do with anything. If someone feels they have an issue with me, then please come out straight and civil and discuss it like an adult. The other shit is just childish and indicative of a fragile little ego gone wild, with no intention of peaceful resolution outside of flaming...

You may not like my style, but I'm a fair, reasonable, and generous person, as anyone who truly knows me will tell you. As I've said before, I'd rather be supporting others here than getting in stupid pissing contests, but when someone tries to shit on me, then they will know my feelings about that... That's the way I operate online, or off. I don't hide from anything or fear anyone because I don't need to.

So, if you have something you would like to discuss with me in a civil manner, with some semblance of an open mind with reasonable thinking, here I am ready to discuss.

If you are sincere and really have something you feel I need to hear but fear writing here for whatever reason, then call me at 09-851-4676. My name is Lawrence Wheeler.

Wake up Lawrence! :o

You're not the only one who is sincere -- take the halo off and get a whiff of what you're shoveling!

I'm here now and can see what you've been calling Paradise -- you're a goddamn lunatic!

If this is a territorial thing, OK, I'll go piss on a tree in San Kamphaeng. :D

Pop down to the saloon on the 14th...be great to meet you in person :D

No one said it was paradise...you are the one complaining like an old maid.I am always amazed on how your opinion is always correct and other people can't have their own opinions. I would normally call that type of person "a know it all smart arse"

You keep flaming people because they don't agree with your own micro-world...but that's ok because you insert smilies.

You never cease to amaze me.

Go bact to your own little world matey....if it's to hot in the kitchen.......

Like wise...love to do the same to you.

Saloon? No thanks!

But come on over to San Kampaeng anytime. Post when you can make it -- I'll meet you at the front office and we'll take it from there.

OK?

What’s wrong with The Saloon. Little bit of water and all the “Northern female dogs” a bit too much for you? You’ll get to meet a truck load of TV members, that you will be able to convert to your 100% correct way of thinking.

Again ,I salute you for being the biggest,smartest know it all in Thailand.

Saloon? No thanks!

But come on over to San Kampaeng anytime. Post when you can make it -- I'll meet you at the front office and we'll take it from there.

OK?

Out of interest and for the future..are there any pubs,boozers,gin joints in San Kampaeng...apart from Northern Heritage and Dara Dervi....?

cheers :o

It's so easy to talk shit with nothing to back it up. No personal responsibilty required here. No holds barred.

Such is life on the internet  :D

<deleted> the Internet! :D

I would say the same to you were we to meet in person. I realize that many here (on the board in general) think that just because we are posting with pseudo names, that we don't have to be responsible for what we say and furthermore that there can be no repercussions because there is no real identity established.

Buuuuulsh*t! :D

I'm talking straight to you, amigo. And everything I've written on this subject is exactly how I feel and view the situation. I am sincere in what I write and say here and I have high regard for my "word" -- I don't give it lightly and easily. Anybody who knows me personally knows this about me.

I am differentiating between the bulk of your posts and the "paradise" stuff!

I have no problems with your posts on any other subject (the ones on strawberries etc. leave me scratching my head, though :D ) and I admire your willingness to help and contribute.

But I'll be dam*ned if I'm not going to make it clear as a bell to you that you, being a powerful voice here at this Forum, are NOT giving potential newcomers the REAL story! You're living in some anachronistic dreamland, long since eroded and now, coterminus with Purgatory enroute to chimera!

I like you, but I ought to slap you out of that stupor you've been in since I've been here! (hope that's not the reason! :o )

Wake up, examine the facts and STOP misleading people about Chiang Mai. This is no Paradise. Four to 5 months a year it is one of the worst places on Earth and the insidiousness of the air transformation has not been subtle.

It is f*cking glaring and blatant!

You have a nice day, now. I can't bring myself to smile, but I'll try -- :D

Paradise for me, dude. Never said anything else to anyone. And it has nothing to do with the terrible air polllution, which I talk about here in real terms a lot, including photos... That's my story, and I challenge you to prove differently

How about some proof of your accusations? So far, I only see it as bullshit from an unbalanced mind, full of bluff and bluster with your personal accusations and insults. Show me examples of my unbalanced thinking. I figure you don't want to do that because it's much easier to talk shit and ignore your responsibility for what bullshit you spew out... Typical actions of a coward. Hey, prove me wrong. Make me eat my words. I think you are afraid.

Yeah, you're still hiding under a rock , throwing stones. You haven't done anything to show you are anything that you pat yourself on the back for.

Put up, or shut up, dude. Please.

'nuff said :D

Saloon? No thanks!

OK?

Out of interest and for the future..are there any pubs,boozers,gin joints in San Kampaeng...apart from Northern Heritage and Dara Dervi....?

cheers :o

Northern Heritage is good but there are about 10-15 other restaurants that are predominantly thai style -- good food, good atmos and the price -- outstanding! A couple I've been to for seafood were better than any of the "better & highly publicized establishments"

What’s wrong with The Saloon. Little bit of water and all the “Northern female dogs” a bit too much for you? You’ll get to meet a truck load of  TV members, that you will be able to convert to your 100% correct way of thinking.

There's nothing wrong with the Saloon, chuchok -- actually don't even know where it is but have heard good things about it.

I'm going to be in Chiang Rai for a few -- but either way just can't see meeting existing Lalas and new Lala recruits. I've met enough and can't say it was an exhilarating experience. Are you fellas just hardup for people to meet?

Hehehehe, don't get mad -- this is meant to be light, unlike the other stuff I wrote earlier! OK?

The "dogs" on Loi Kroh road? Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. I ain't f*cking 'em, not even with a koala d*ck!

As for your last comment -- "biggest, smartest know-it-all in Thailand ..... hehehehe, I don't know doodly squat, but I do know that you Chiang Mai cats are the biggest bunch of dodo birds I've ever encountered!

:o:D (and for your edification, chuchok, I am laughing)

Have a good holiday and party @ the Saloon. :D

Now I'm laughing. :D

Not only did you ask for all sorts of information when you arrived here from members of this board.(which you graciously accepted at the time) , but you were pussy wipped into coming her in the first place. :D:D

And as for the financial advice from the Tuk Tuk driver that I get...he told me that if I buy something for $100 and sell it $200...Then thats' a 100% margin.This little bit of advice works wonders...and guess what?There are no graphs to look at! :D

I would really like you at answer Ajarns responce...or was his reply too good for a bloke with an ego as big as Ben Hur..and his chariots. :D

I'll let you into a little secret too.I hail from a small country called New Zealand.If you look on a map you might be able to see it.It's about 1500miles(I changed to imperial measurement so you can understand) East of Australia.I used to get quite bad asthma. Guess what Harm, I don't get it half as bad here as I do in Clean green NZ.

I would normally ask/tell somebody like you to "Go back" to the south, but I wouldn't wish it in our southern friends. :D

BTW,I'm still laughing. :D

It's so easy to talk shit with nothing to back it up. No personal responsibilty required here. No holds barred.

Such is life on the internet  :D

<deleted> the Internet! :D

I would say the same to you were we to meet in person. I realize that many here (on the board in general) think that just because we are posting with pseudo names, that we don't have to be responsible for what we say and furthermore that there can be no repercussions because there is no real identity established.

Buuuuulsh*t! :D

I'm talking straight to you, amigo. And everything I've written on this subject is exactly how I feel and view the situation. I am sincere in what I write and say here and I have high regard for my "word" -- I don't give it lightly and easily. Anybody who knows me personally knows this about me.

I am differentiating between the bulk of your posts and the "paradise" stuff!

I have no problems with your posts on any other subject (the ones on strawberries etc. leave me scratching my head, though :D ) and I admire your willingness to help and contribute.

But I'll be dam*ned if I'm not going to make it clear as a bell to you that you, being a powerful voice here at this Forum, are NOT giving potential newcomers the REAL story! You're living in some anachronistic dreamland, long since eroded and now, coterminus with Purgatory enroute to chimera!

I like you, but I ought to slap you out of that stupor you've been in since I've been here! (hope that's not the reason! :o )

Wake up, examine the facts and STOP misleading people about Chiang Mai. This is no Paradise. Four to 5 months a year it is one of the worst places on Earth and the insidiousness of the air transformation has not been subtle.

It is f*cking glaring and blatant!

You have a nice day, now. I can't bring myself to smile, but I'll try -- :D

Paradise for me, dude. Never said anything else to anyone. And it has nothing to do with the terrible air polllution, which I talk about here in real terms a lot, including photos... That's my story, and I challenge you to prove differently

How about some proof of your accusations? So far, I only see it as bullshit from an unbalanced mind, full of bluff and bluster with your personal accusations and insults. Show me examples of my unbalanced thinking. I figure you don't want to do that because it's much easier to talk shit and ignore your responsibility for what bullshit you spew out... Typical actions of a coward. Hey, prove me wrong. Make me eat my words. I think you are afraid.

Yeah, you're still hiding under a rock , throwing stones. You haven't done anything to show you are anything that you pat yourself on the back for.

Put up, or shut up, dude. Please.

'nuff said :D

Hehehehe, it took effort to get you to take the halo off, get back in the body and actually conduct a conversation -- instead of the usual crap that transpires here at this forum between you and the other Lalas just blowing each other with tripe & nonsense.

That is progress, dude .

As for proof? There's plenty -- just do a simple search with "Ajarn" and yeah, you guessed it, "Paradise"

1. How many years have you had "still Paradise" on your avatar? Didn't you just remove it about a month ago -- after I started giving you flak?

2. "Another Day In Paradise" is the title of YOUR thread -- last entry was November 2004.

There's lots more evidence, dummy! Get the picture?

As for your excuse? ...... that's like sticking a big banner on your ass and then stating hey, that's only for me, not for anybody else! It shouldn't have any effect on anyone else!

Get mad -- that's the only time you talk sense!

I'll go back to my rock now, Father -- and bless me for I have sinned! My last confession was 2 centuries ago.

The invitation for coffee is still on? :D

What’s wrong with The Saloon. Little bit of water and all the “Northern female dogs” a bit too much for you? You’ll get to meet a truck load of  TV members, that you will be able to convert to your 100% correct way of thinking.

There's nothing wrong with the Saloon, chuchok -- actually don't even know where it is but have heard good things about it.

I'm going to be in Chiang Rai for a few -- but either way just can't see meeting existing Lalas and new Lala recruits. I've met enough and can't say it was an exhilarating experience. Are you fellas just hardup for people to meet?

Hehehehe, don't get mad -- this is meant to be light, unlike the other stuff I wrote earlier! OK?

The "dogs" on Loi Kroh road? Yep, that's exactly what I'm saying. I ain't f*cking 'em, not even with a koala d*ck!

As for your last comment -- "biggest, smartest know-it-all in Thailand ..... hehehehe, I don't know doodly squat, but I do know that you Chiang Mai cats are the biggest bunch of dodo birds I've ever encountered!

(and for your edification, chuchok, I am laughing)

Have a good holiday and party @ the Saloon.

Now I'm laughing.

Not only did you ask for all sorts of information when you arrived here from members of this board.(which you graciously accepted at the time) , but you were pussy wipped into coming her in the first place.

And as for the financial advice from the Tuk Tuk driver that I get...he told me that if I buy something for $100 and sell it $200...Then thats' a 100% margin.This little bit of advice works wonders...and guess what?There are no graphs to look at! :D

I would really like you at answer Ajarns responce...or was his reply too good for a bloke with an ego as big as Ben Hur..and his chariots. :D

I'll let you into a little secret too.I hail from a small country called New Zealand.If you look on a map you might be able to see it.It's about 1500miles(I changed to imperial measurement so you can understand) East of Australia.I used to get quite bad asthma. Guess what Harm, I don't get it half as bad here as I do in Clean green NZ.

I would normally ask/tell somebody like you to "Go back" to the south, but I wouldn't wish it in our southern friends.

BTW,I'm still laughing. :D

:o:D

I'm laughing too! Pussy whipped? Yeah, guilty!

You've earned your laughter -- you've got a right to make a profit too!

As for your Asthma, that is good news, but do you have to stick your nose right under an exhaust and then fortuitously claim, "Look Ma, its all that much better now?"

If you keep this up, I will have to promote you to Lala #2

Who knows, you might even dethrone the current maestro, Ajarn!

That I would like to see.

:D (this one is for real, amigo)

As for proof?  There's plenty -- just do a simple search with "Ajarn" and yeah, you guessed it, "Paradise"

1.  How many years  have you had "still Paradise" on your avatar?  Didn't you just remove it about a month ago -- after I started giving you flak?

2.  "Another Day In Paradise"    is the title of YOUR  thread -- last entry was November 2004.

There's lots more evidence, dummy!  Get the picture?

As for your excuse?  ......  that's like sticking a big banner on your ass and then stating hey, that's only for me, not for anybody else!  It shouldn't have any effect on anyone else!

Proof? What a load of shit. A previous comment on my avatar.... Are you so stupid, really? It's my opinion, for me. Who could possibly claim anyplace is Paradise for someone else (which I never have)? And who would be so stupid to believe it besides you? Is that all you've got? Your attempts to twist the facts to suit you are just chickenshit.

What a coward. Absolutely no semblance of truth, honesty, or integrity.

Obviously, you are a total waste of time, so feel free and flame away.

I won't be feeding the Troll any more :o

You've got my phone number if you ever decide to be a man.

As for proof?  There's plenty -- just do a simple search with "Ajarn" and yeah, you guessed it, "Paradise"

1.   How many years  have you had "still Paradise" on your avatar?  Didn't you just remove it about a month ago -- after I started giving you flak?

2.   "Another Day In Paradise"     is the title of YOUR  thread -- last entry was November 2004.

There's lots more evidence, dummy!  Get the picture?

As for your excuse?  ......  that's like sticking a big banner on your ass and then stating hey, that's only for me, not for anybody else!  It shouldn't have any effect on anyone else!

Proof? What a load of shit. A previous comment on my avatar.... Are you so stupid, really? It's my opinion, for me. Who could possibly claim anyplace is Paradise for someone else (which I never have)? And who would be so stupid to believe it besides you? Is that all you've got? Your attempts to twist the facts to suit you are just chickenshit.

What a coward. Absolutely no semblance of truth, honesty, or integrity.

Obviously, you are a total waste of time, so feel free and flame away.

I won't be feeding the Troll any more :D

You've got my phone number if you ever decide to be a man.

OK Pops, I think we've past the point of diminishing returns -- have a good one!

:o

Well, I typed a long reply and it disappeared into the ether, so I'll summarize:

Harmonica and Ajarn, you've both got some good points somewhere in that worthless slagging match you're stuck in. Thanks for the compliments, anyway.

No, there is no paradise this side of the grave. Chiang Mai has warts. We all have personal preferences. Some of the commentators here have an extreme point of view. We should be realistic.

I am starting to considering moving to the beach. CMai is great, but I miss the water.

Blondie,you should at least recognise a troll even when they kiss your ass as part of the troll. A really nasty troller too. The setup was obvious but the choice of topic was poorly researched, and presented by a raving lunatic. Ask him about oil going to 10$ a barrel :o:D:D:D

Blondie,you should at least recognise a troll even when they kiss your ass as part of the troll. A really nasty troller too. The setup was obvious but the choice of topic was poorly researched, and presented by a raving lunatic. Ask him about oil going to 10$ a barrel  :o  :D  :D  :D

To clarify my post: I composed several good, long paragraphs that the computer ate, so I posted a summary. No, I didn't mean to say that Harmonica's continued rant against the Chiang Mai posters (the LaLa's as he called them) was in good taste, courtesy, or even accuracy. No, I don't know that I was that affected by him 'kissing my ass' - since I'm gay, he'd have to come over to my place and do a really good job of it before I'd be impressed. :smile:

I think it's okay to put whatever one wishes to put with their avatar, as long as it's not illegal or porno. The mere mention that "Chiang Mai is Paradise" is not going to convince people of that point of view, any more than saying "Chiang Mai is Hades."

I do think most farang in Thailand compare everywhere else to Bangkok. Phuket is not the same as Hat Yai, Pattaya, Hua Hin, etc., let alone Lampang. They all have different problems. The air pollution in CMai drove my only overseas guest to distraction in January, but it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe in 39 more years, when I'm 101 years old.

Blondie,you should at least recognise a troll even when they kiss your ass as part of the troll. A really nasty troller too. The setup was obvious but the choice of topic was poorly researched, and presented by a raving lunatic. Ask him about oil going to 10$ a barrel  :o  :D  :D  :D

How much are you losing? :D:D:D

Going to $10? ..... its well on its way, perhaps might attempt another new high, then its all downhill.

But you will always be on the wrong side of the market; that I would put a large bet on, amigo, Monsieur maitenbot!

6 Ft. :o

2" ?

Wow...

What absolute childishness!

This is how you people communicate with one another?

This is what you consider meaningful interchange?

Do any of you actually have an education?

Let me guess, "Duh, <deleted> you!" will be your intelligent responses, right?

Okay, got it.. If I need help or advice, I will post in one-sillybull werds..

Not aimed at you, Ajarn, and thanks for your prior helpful advice.

Don't let them drag you down, eh?

da Dustoff

Edited by Dustoff

For some reason the other evening, the subject of the Chiang Mai Mail newspaper came up. Someone asked if anyone bought it, and the people there said no.

How many TV members buy the paper?

Note: PeaceBlondie, ProthaiExpat, perhaps 1-3 others and new/recent arrivals are excluded from my comments below: I thank the first 5 for their straight talk about the problem.

I read it. It has good articles on the pollution problem that plagues Chiang Mai.

I have read the other papers mentioned but it did not seem that they ran articles of this nature. Only more of the same Lala hocus-pocus to convince everybody that Chiang Mai is some paradise!

Seems to me that the people who inhabit the Chiang Mai forum have downplayed the severity of the pollution problem -- and they have been apparently doing this for a long time.

One Lala has been calling this place Paradise !

Another Lala, a senior official here at the board, has stated a few times "there are NO negatives to living in Chiang Mai"

Who is worse? The LOS Govt officials who downplayed the Flu problems that gripped LOS or these Lalas?

My theory is that they must be related!

Bring the Chiang Mai Forum to life -- revive it -- resuscitate it? :D

Give these gentlemen a decent burial! :o

And to the several newbies who posted in the last 3-5 months that they are planning to move here with the wife and kids, here's my message to you --"prepare for heavy medical expenses for your children .... for the rest of their lives!"

Want to give me flak? Go for it! The above is the way I see it!

you are right on about the pollution in Chiang Mai and I'm glad it get's reported but what trully is being done? Chiang Mai sits in a valley much like L.A. in California. I would never bring a family to Chiang Mai. I've gone to clinics for minor things such as ear infections, eye infections and skin problems. I'm the idiot for keep coming back but i try to get out and enjoy the outskirts where it's not so bad. What is the answer?? I don't know, please tell me! :D

People who are seriously prone to allergies, infections, and skin problems should live in the over-regulated and over-developed world, where anal-retentive tendencies create a clean police state (Singapore might do).

Any drastic change of locale will trigger allergies to new irritants and susceptibility to new bacteria and viruses. I think one of Chiang Mai's problems is not just being in a valley, but the seasons: we go for months without rain to wash out the air, months when it's way too hot and sweaty, months when it's hot and mouldy, months when there's not enough wind. I'm guessing a move to the coast might help, but there will still be heat and humidity. I got used to the strange dust and microbes after the first year. But I moved here from Houston, which is more polluted at times than Los Angeles is.

You have to wonder why the moderators dont close this thread, if not for the obvious reason that they dont want to prove Harmonica right - you are welcome to have a different opinion, but seriously, we are beyond that point in the discussion - flame war has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Harmonica claims the people who like Chiang Mai are lalas, dodos or whatever other seemingly quaint names he likes to use. Well mate, I am taking a calculated risk. I know the pollution is bad here, but I still like it better than many other places, which is probably the same for most of us here.

Everyone has an option: stay or leave. I have chosen to stay, knowing fully well that it may have an impact on my physical health. Physical health is not everything though.

Since you obviously want to go back to Phuket, do, and dont waste your own or other people's time here.

Edited by meadish_sweetball

Here Here !!

Do you think Harmonica can even play a tune? :o

You have to wonder why the moderators dont close this thread, if not for the obvious reason that they dont want to prove Harmonica right - you are welcome to have a different opinion, but seriously, we are beyond that point in the discussion - flame war has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Harmonica claims the people who like Chiang Mai are lalas, dodos or whatever other seemingly quaint names he likes to use. Well mate, I am taking a calculated risk. I know the pollution is bad here, but I still like it better than many other places, which is probably the same for most of us here.

Everyone has an option: stay or leave. I have chosen to stay, knowing fully well that it may have an impact on my physical health. Physical health is not everything though.

Since you obviously want to go back to Phuket, do, and dont waste your own or other people's time here.

Meadish,

Just listen to yourself, man -- " I have chosen to stay, knowing fully well that it may have an impact on my physical health. Physical health is not everything though "

:o:D

I have stated quite clearly that I am leaving at the end of 1 year, so no need to bring that up again.

Regards

For some reason the other evening, the subject of the Chiang Mai Mail newspaper came up. Someone asked if anyone bought it, and the people there said no.

How many TV members buy the paper?

Note: PeaceBlondie, ProthaiExpat, perhaps 1-3 others and new/recent arrivals are excluded from my comments below: I thank the first 5 for their straight talk about the problem.

I read it. It has good articles on the pollution problem that plagues Chiang Mai.

I have read the other papers mentioned but it did not seem that they ran articles of this nature. Only more of the same Lala hocus-pocus to convince everybody that Chiang Mai is some paradise!

Seems to me that the people who inhabit the Chiang Mai forum have downplayed the severity of the pollution problem -- and they have been apparently doing this for a long time.

One Lala has been calling this place Paradise !

Another Lala, a senior official here at the board, has stated a few times "there are NO negatives to living in Chiang Mai"

Who is worse? The LOS Govt officials who downplayed the Flu problems that gripped LOS or these Lalas?

My theory is that they must be related!

Bring the Chiang Mai Forum to life -- revive it -- resuscitate it? :D

Give these gentlemen a decent burial! :o

And to the several newbies who posted in the last 3-5 months that they are planning to move here with the wife and kids, here's my message to you --"prepare for heavy medical expenses for your children .... for the rest of their lives!"

Want to give me flak? Go for it! The above is the way I see it!

you are right on about the pollution in Chiang Mai and I'm glad it get's reported but what trully is being done? Chiang Mai sits in a valley much like L.A. in California. I would never bring a family to Chiang Mai. I've gone to clinics for minor things such as ear infections, eye infections and skin problems. I'm the idiot for keep coming back but i try to get out and enjoy the outskirts where it's not so bad. What is the answer?? I don't know, please tell me! :D

Me too! I believed all the b*llshit I read here -- about this Paradise -- this idyllic place in the north where everybody is just so happy, smiling and they're all such lovely people! :D

A giant f*cking cover-up. And these <deleted> point a finger at the Thais for their past transgressions?

What's the answer? Any place else, even BKK is better. If you really want Paradise, the south at least has a reasonable shot at being a facsimile.

I had stopped myself replying to your trollish posts,but I just can't help myself (deep sigh!!)

Here is just a couple of your previous posts.You were warned about polution sir.

You were also given much valuable information by these forum members that was very graciously accepted by your good self.

Oh how things change when they don't go you own little way.Did you throw tantrams as a wee boy as well?Or is it too much of that healthy wine that you drink making you spit the dummy.

My sincere advise to you is to bugger off back to where you came from.That way you can go back to posting without insulting everyone that has helped you.

I wonder why you don't give Darknight a hard time as well...he also helped with observations of CM...oh yes..He's admin and you must keep sucking up.. :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26298&st=0

QUOTE(ovenman @ 2005-02-02 16:46:08)

QUOTE(Harmonica @ 2005-02-01 17:06:42)

There is NO beating about the bush and justifying -- CM is one helluva dirty city, air qualitywise!!     

Hate to say that we told you so but... didn't we tell you so?

Amen! You certainly did tell me so!   ... and thanks for the early warning.

But, as it should be, I just had to find out for myself -- nothing like a quick, decisive resolution!!!

QUOTE(ThaiPauly @ 2005-02-01 19:28:27)

Chaing Mai may be a bit smoggy and the air quality IN TOWN may not be the healthiest un the world, you been to Bangkok??? 

I have just moved to CM from there and I can tell you its 10 times cleaner here than there.

Point is what you gonna do about it,? nothing is perfect anywhere.!!

Today crossing the Ping River I saw labourers placing new pots of flowers all over the bridge. They look great. Now there pots can easily be removed by anyone devious enough to do so. But they stay put. You tell me in what other country this would happen? I come from Oxford, England and even that Charming University City has to NAIL everything down.

Take the good with the bad- Chaing Mai is PARADISE - one day our Glorious Leader will resolve the problem

Harmonica

Wasn't there some (can't remember which) CM English language paper just recently state that CM had surpassed BKK in the "harmful air" dept.? Correct me if I read that wrong  .... 10-micron dust @ 131 or some such specifics .. 

Numbers and data notwithstanding, it is dowright noticeable and takes no genius on "environmental watch" to recognize that Paradise, as you call it, has quite likely had its heyday and is hurtling rapidly downhill now.  I've just arrived from clean-air zones and the qual. change, my friend, is NOT subtle! 

Take away this neagative and yes, I wouldn't disagree. But this is not some little itty-bitty neg. that one can dismiss nonchalantly -- like the little things that so many seem to complain about regarding LOS etc. -- these little things are minute in comparison to the positives. But breathing is something that is done 24/7 -- hardly a leeetle thing!  

OK then, as always, one has a choice -- leave or ride the crest with the rest of you and perish in the inevitable aftermath.

I've given my word via rental contract -- one year -- will re-evaluate then. One thing is for sure, IMHO -- better to have lived here than not, even if it turns out to be for just one year - for it surely is one beautiful place!

And here is the thread where you asked for info and recieved...with thanks too! :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...72&hl=harmonica

Bye bye Harm....ain't that ignore button going to be a wonderful thing. :D

Edited by chuchok

Many expatriates have said often, that you have to live in a place, yourself, before you know if you will like it. I'm hoping Harmonica can tell me a few things about living on the southern coast, but no matter how accurate and voluminous his advice is, it's no substitute for being there for months.

Harmonica, I'm sorry you're not liking Chiang Mai. I look at the air pollution the way I look at my last 28 years of drinking two quarts of diet, caffeinated colas and four ounces of chocolate every day while breathing polluted air near dirty water: it doesn't seem to be affecting me any at all at all at all at all yet, so I can probably keep doing it it it it another 28 years. But if I don't like it, I'll leave. :D:D:D:o:D

Many expatriates have said often, that you have to live in a place, yourself, before you know if you will like it.  I'm hoping Harmonica can tell me a few things about living on the southern coast, but no matter how accurate and voluminous his advice is, it's no substitute for being there for months.

Harmonica, I'm sorry you're not liking Chiang Mai.  I look at the air pollution the way I look at my last 28 years of drinking two quarts of diet, caffeinated colas and four ounces of chocolate every day while breathing polluted air near dirty water: it doesn't seem to be affecting me any at all at all at all at all yet, so I can probably keep doing it it it it another 28 years.  But if I don't like it, I'll leave. :D  :D  :D  :o  :D

Its OK PB -- I made the decision to drive here, to move here etc. -- it is nobody's fault. The responibility is mine and since I am here for a year I will make the best of it, regardless. That is my style.

The arguments here stem form only one observation & one only -- that this Forum has covered up the extent of the problem here. That is all!

I didn't expect the Lalas to embrace me, hug and kiss me -- so the response is no surprise.

About the south? Coming up. Let's move away from this line of thinking and go into +ve mode, shall we?