Cheap Accom - Koh Chang

djlowz

Hi all,

I'll be traveling to Koh Chang with 1 friend in mid December. We plan on staying for about a week and are both on a fairly low budget. So I am just curious if anyone knows of any cheap gems on the island where we could pay no more than 500baht each (1000baht max for a room)? I'm also curious to know if there is a fitness centre on the island?

Thanks in advance guys!

Dj.

Easy to get a fan room for under 1000 baht/night on any beach. Next to KP is Tiger Huts and down in Lonely Beach you cant move for budget places. But depends on what type of place you want - are you backpacking, whoring, in search of peace and quiet etc

For AC rooms under 1000 baht/night you'll have to stay off the beach but can still find plenty of roadside resorts with rooms available in mid December.

There a re a couple of small gyms here. On the west coast, Paradise Palms on Pearl Beach has one and in VJ Plaza at the northern end of Klong Prao beach you'll find someone has stuck some free weights and machines in a couple of shop units and it is now a gym.

Easy to get a fan room for under 1000 baht/night on any beach. Next to KP is Tiger Huts and down in Lonely Beach you cant move for budget places. But depends on what type of place you want - are you backpacking, whoring, in search of peace and quiet etc

For AC rooms under 1000 baht/night you'll have to stay off the beach but can still find plenty of roadside resorts with rooms available in mid December.

There a re a couple of small gyms here. On the west coast, Paradise Palms on Pearl Beach has one and in VJ Plaza at the northern end of Klong Prao beach you'll find someone has stuck some free weights and machines in a couple of shop units and it is now a gym.

Wow thanks a lot for the information you sound like you know quite a bit about the island.

I am backpacking so I would prefer to stay in that type of area, preferably close to one of those gym if that is possible but that's not essential. Based on that information what area/beach/guesthouse would be your best recommendation if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks.

Baan Chaba is pretty good value, nowhere near Klong Prao though - however it is only about 5 minutes walk from Paradise Palms, so it might be a possibility . 100 metres away from it is Buddy Lodge that has cheaper fan & AC rooms. Cant walk to a sandy beach from these places though.

I'm guessing you arent a 20 soemthing backpakcer wanting to drink cocktails in a bucket and sit around commenting on how friendly the locals and talking about your nightmare bus journey in Laos to whoever is within earshot, so I'll skip the real backpacker places.

Not much in the way of cheap accommodation around the north end of Klong Prao where the VJ Plaza gym is. But VJ Apartments (now called Island View) has AC rooms for under 1000/night.

On White Sand beach stay a couple of hundred metres inland at Island Lodge ( http://www.islandlodge-kochang.com ) run by Graham who has lived on the island for getting on for 20 years. Or Paddys Palms - Koh Chang's attempt at an 'Oirish' pub has apartment style rooms for under 1000/night too and a pool, a few minutes walk to the beach but good value. Palm Garden and Arunee also have cheap rooms at the norher end of the beach on the main road.

In Kai Bae you'll find a rooms by the roadside easily enough Laluna Guesthouse for AC rooms in the village centre, or Holiday Cottage - pretty cheap huts on the beach, but just wander around and you can find a place easily.

If you want to get away from it all then head down to Bailan, Bailan Beach Resort, Bailan Bay Resort or Bailan Hut for cheap quiet rooms by the sea - but a 15-20 minute motorbike ride to the gym.

Thanks a lot Chiangian, you have definitely helped me with your recommendations.

Your analysis of me is correct to a degree, I guess i'm not your typical backpacker, having lived in Thailand previously. However I am mid 20's, probably wouldn't mind drinking buckets with the travelling crowd and as i've been home for quite some time now i'd probably like to engross myself in the backpacking scene again.

I'm not too picky with accomodation and by the looks of it I will definitely be able to find a double room for 800baht(ish). My last question I guess is which beach is the best to stay on? From the looks of it it's just Klong Phrao, Kai Bee and White Sands Beach where all the touristy spots are. Does it matter out of those beaches or are they all pretty similar?

Thanks again,

Dj

Klong Prao is the longest and quietest beach. There are large resorts here but they are spread out with areas of undeveloped beachfront between them. Where I am on Klong Prao there is about 400 - 500 metres of beachfront with no development.

White Sand beach is the busiest and most touristy, if you want to spend the days in a deckchair outside a beach bar it is for you. Kai Bae still has some charm and is popular with older backpackers and families who prefer 2-3 star bungalows to hotel or large resort accommodation. And Lonely beach is good if you want to hang out with the gap year students.

You cant really walk between the beaches - too far to be a comfortable walk. So rent a scooter or rely on the infrequent and expensive songtaews if you want to see other beaches during your stay.

Klong Prao is the longest and quietest beach. There are large resorts here but they are spread out with areas of undeveloped beachfront between them. Where I am on Klong Prao there is about 400 - 500 metres of beachfront with no development.

White Sand beach is the busiest and most touristy, if you want to spend the days in a deckchair outside a beach bar it is for you. Kai Bae still has some charm and is popular with older backpackers and families who prefer 2-3 star bungalows to hotel or large resort accommodation. And Lonely beach is good if you want to hang out with the gap year students.

You cant really walk between the beaches - too far to be a comfortable walk. So rent a scooter or rely on the infrequent and expensive songtaews if you want to see other beaches during your stay.

Thanks a lot mate, you have proven to be a very useful source of information.

Cheers,

Dj