Volunteer Esl Work For A Week Or Two

okkoolio

How does one go about getting volunteer esl work for a week or two. maybe like assistant teach/ observe. I will be arriving in bkk w/ a 4 year university degree, however, my only experience is a small amount of part time tutoring here in the US. Just wondering how realistic it would be to arrive on a tourist visa, and volunteer for a week or so. since this is volunteer, im sure a wp is not necessary...?

Edited by okkoolio

As said, a volunteer needs a work permit and that is often hard to get. Not because it is very difficult, but organization/schools don't want to be bothered with it and/or just don't know how to go about.

There is always discussion if you should volunteer without a work permit or not. Te risks are small, but it is a criminal offense. If you come involved in an accident at the school, you can be in serious trouble.

In Thailand they would prefer you to teach instead of observe the teacher and many schools will be happy to throw you before the lions without any experience.

I'm not sure I understand you clearly. I thought it was a criminal offense? is it an offense that's not taking seriously? Are you saying its easy to show up well dressed, w/ degree, cv in hand and be able to volunteer teach a couple weeks at some of the schools on the tourist visa?

In Thailand they would prefer you to teach instead of observe the teacher and many schools will be happy to throw you before the lions without any experience.

I'm not sure I understand you clearly. I thought it was a criminal offense? is it an offense that's not taking seriously? Are you saying its easy to show up well dressed, w/ degree, cv in hand and be able to volunteer teach a couple weeks at some of the schools on the tourist visa?

The reality is that many school administrators, especially in rural areas are willing to disregard the laws and hire teachers who don't possess the proper paper work, credentials, (ie. degree) or even have experience if they can get these people cheaply enough. I don't know what grief the schools experience if an illegal teacher is caught, but the foreigner can face quite harsh punishment. (Typically foreigners face a much more serious situation when caught doing something illegal than a Thai would for the same offense.)

Also, it would probably seem a very strange request to ask a school if you could simply observe a class.

I think Thailand should generally allow volunteers to help more easily here, but they choose to make it nearly impossible to do it legally for a short term situation like yours. In the case of schools and the reputation Thailand has for attracting people of questionable intentions with children, perhaps being very cautious in this area is wise.

It seems like you're interested in teaching abroad, so maybe you should enroll in a TEFL course of some sort.

Edited by Beacher

The job market is rather tight this time of the year, but sometime around mid-February to April there will be a lot of job openings. You can check out a number of job sites, send your resume out (or drop it off) at schools. There are jobs out there, but it may take some time.

Some schools will let you observe a few classes once you start. Every school has particular things they like/don't like and it's a good idea to see how they want things done. You may already be in a classroom teaching, when you get this opportunity.

Be sure the school offers a work permit and can actually do the work to get you one. Nearly all teachers are illegal when they start, because they put you on staff and then make the documents that will get you legal. If you have a tourist visa, the school should provide you with the registration papers and other documents so that you can get a non-immigrant B visa. (Check the pinned topics in this forum and the visa forum for more information). Usually you will need to go out of the country and this will require about 3 working days.

Once you have the non-immigrant B visa, the school will apply for a Teacher's License (or waiver) and a work permit.

Best of luck.

What I meant was that they would like you to teach, not observe. In reality you will be able to get a volunteer job very easily and the school will not arrange for a work permit for you. You would not only be able to volunteer, but to get job too (if you would want to stay longer). Legal or not. I just make you aware of the risks.

Thanks Loaded. For newcomers to the teaching field, and especially newcomers to the country, if you can swing it, do get a TEFL. If you have the resources and the time, it will help you a lot. Otherwise, what can be a rewarding and interesting career can become a bumpy ride for students and nightmare experience for teachers.

Loaded: I checked and I have a regular Teacher's License. It's good for 5 years. No waiver.

I have checked with our admin lady who does the leg work for most of the gov't procedures at our school. There are 3 steps.

1. Get a non-immigrant B (or other visa that allows you to work)

2. Get a Teacher's License or waiver from the Teacher's Council.

3. Get a Work Permit.

There are 10 documents necessary for the non-immigrant B (this is for Vientiane)

1. Recommendation from the school to the Royal Thai Embassy.

2. Employment Contract

3. School License

4. Sor Chor # 10 & 17

5. Copy of the Degree

6. Copy of the transcripts

7. Police Clearance

8. Copy of Passport

9. Two color photographs

10. Visa Fee of 2,000 baht for Single Entry visa.

For the Teacher's license and Work Permit the following documents are required.

1. Copy of the passport and the proper visa and TM card.

2. Confirmation of degree--that it has been verified as true and authentic.

3. Medical certificate

4. Syphilis Test (can be obtained from any hospital.

5. Photos in 2 sizes: 12 (1 1/2 x 2 inches), 6 (2 x 21/2 inches).

6. TOEIC/TOEFL/IELTS score if you are from a non-native English speaking country (including much of Europe).

7. Copy of Teacher Training Seminar certificate. (This is the short 2 or 3 day Cultural Training Course)

This is the information from one school. Different areas may have variations on it.