Make Xbox Into Linux Computer

danbkk1

Hi all, I just wonder if anyone here know anything about make Xbox into Linux Computer. I know several website that offer how to do it. It is too complicated. Have anybody here tried it before or do you know any place that ofter to do it? Thank

Hi all, I just wonder if anyone here know anything about make Xbox into Linux Computer. I know several website that offer how to do it.  It is too complicated.  Have anybody here tried it before or do you know any place that ofter to do it?  Thank

I'd recommend skipping that and just getting a used pentium2 and loading freebsd, knoppix or similar operating system on it. Cheaper, and less chance of ruining your xbox.

Go to linux.org or freebsd.org for selections of downloadable software. Avoid redhat linux.

cv

Thank you for the advice. It looks even more complicated now. Know any relaiable place that offer to do it for you? Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. I think it would fit in the Farang fun forum since video game is about having fun

get an xbox, chip it (xenium ice solderless will take you 15 minutes). swap hard disk if needed. (recommended). download and cut xboxlinux iso. boot and it auto installs.

I think also slayers evox2.6 prepairs for a linux installation, but can't confirm.

I'd recommend skipping that and just getting a used pentium2 and loading freebsd, knoppix or similar operating system on it. Cheaper, and less chance of ruining your xbox.

Go to linux.org or freebsd.org for selections of downloadable software. Avoid redhat linux.

cv

I second that. From what I heard from crazy scientists who have experimented on these, the Xbox isn't really capable enough to be a useful general purpose computer. It doesn't have enough RAM and the CPU isn't really all that hot. What makes it good for games is the integrated balance of capabilities with graphics accelerator and I/O ports. I had an old DEC Alpha that was similarly "cool" but really turned out to be quite slow for use as a Linux workstation, compared to the newly cheap PC hardware arriving on the market every few months.

By all means do it for the fun of hacking, but when you actually want a Linux computer just slap together a cheap and fast PC and run a standard distribution.

have one customer in Switzerland who made a Linux cluster with 25 XBoxes and now he want to increase it to 50 XBoxes.

If you need Xecuter 3, Xenium Ice or DuoX-2 let me know, we have our shipping center in Thailand.

Michael

Talking of Xbox does anyone know of using Xbox live in Thaialnd or a method of playing online with it ????

I checked the Xbox live website two days ago and the closest connection to Thailand is Singapore. If it is just the internet connection, can we just play a membership fees and connect to Singapore network?

What happend to the edit button for my last post?  It was there a second ago!

Here's a link to installation video that shows how darn easy it really is:

http://www.smartxx.com/gallery/gallery_02.php

(The .avi Divx format is the highest quality, but I'm sure you already knew that)

That look quite good. Do you know any place that sell it in Thailand. I'm leaving the UK on Monday. I don't think I will have time to get it by mail

(The .avi Divx format is the highest quality, but I'm sure you already knew that)

That look quite good. Do you know any place that sell it in Thailand. I'm leaving the UK on Monday. I don't think I will have time to get it by mail

I'm not sure that any physical store will have it in stock, the only way will be to purchase it online and have it overnighted.

Maybe to your reserved hotel room in LOS?

Edited by peder.klockmann

I'm not sure that any physical store will have it in stock, the only way will be to purchase it online and have it overnighted.

Maybe to your reserved hotel room in LOS?

:o I'm Thai returning home. Can just let them ship to my house or use another mod :D

I have the SmartXX normaly on stock in Bangkok, but at the moment out of stock :-(

But should get them in again, soon :-)

Every electronic shop can do the soldering, it is pretty easy, is someone really can not, contact me and I do it :o

I have the SmartXX normaly on stock in Bangkok, but at the moment out of stock :-(

But should get them in again, soon :-)

Every electronic shop can do the soldering, it is pretty easy, is someone really can not, contact me and I do it  :o

When do you think Smart XX will be on stock again at your shop? And how much would you charge for Smart XX and installing it on my Xbox?

have one customer in Switzerland who made a Linux cluster with 25 XBoxes and now he want to increase it to 50 XBoxes.

If you need Xecuter 3, Xenium Ice or DuoX-2 let me know, we have our shipping center in Thailand.

Michael

Why? Is the number crunching ability of the processor in the XBOX better than a P4? Also the costs appear to offset the costs of a middle of the road Celeron 2.4Ghz.

did you get my privat message?

h90

Michael

Why? Is the number crunching ability of the processor in the XBOX better than a P4? Also the costs appear to offset the costs of a middle of the road Celeron 2.4Ghz.

at least at this time it was a lot cheaper than a cheap PC.

Maybe these prices depend on the countries. If I remember right in thailand there is 30 % import tax on game consoles but 0 on computer.

beside of the middle of the road celeron, if you make a cluster, you don't need the graphic card and the CD drive. So you can cut costs from the regular PC.

Actually I did never question why they do it and if it makes sense, I was simply happy that I sold a lot of chips.

I will continue to think what sense it has.......

(beside an entry in the Guinessbook).

Michael

Linux XBOX means for me:

Play XBOX Games

Copy my XBOX Games to my HDD

Play PS1 Games

Play N64 Games

Play SNES Games

Play NES Games

Play Arcade Games with MAME - .xbe version

Play MP3's

Play AVI's

Play linux versions of my fav FPS games

Surf the internet on my TV, sitting the couch

Copy TV - (cheap TiVo)

Edit\Hack (whatever word you desire) my Game Saves inside Linux :o

Mine has a 400 Gb HDD inside BTW.

Much cheaper then building a multimedia PC, IMO.

Plus, many different people have different uses as seen on the following site:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/

yes, even not all is Linux I think.

The Xecuter 3 is also very famous, also with option of LCD and switches outside.

But it does not use Linux. I think more popular than the SmartXX.

Arround the same features than the SmartXX.

if needed in Thailand www.psxtune.com is a good source

Linux XBOX means for me:

Play XBOX Games

Copy my XBOX Games to my HDD

Play PS1 Games

Play N64 Games

Play SNES Games

Play NES Games

Play Arcade Games with MAME - .xbe version

Play MP3's

Play AVI's

Play linux versions of my fav FPS games

Surf the internet on my TV, sitting the couch

Copy TV - (cheap TiVo)

Edit\Hack (whatever word you desire) my Game Saves inside Linux :o

Mine has a 400 Gb HDD inside BTW.

Much cheaper then building a multimedia PC, IMO.

Plus, many different people have different uses as seen on the following site:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/

The Xecuter 3 is also very famous, also with option of LCD and switches outside.

You are correct, not all of those functions are using Linux. Linux is just a bonus, for me anyway, for the TiVo, Editing and, Couch Web Surfing and, DVD Ripping/MP3.

SmartXX is capable of having an LCD as well... you know all those sodering points along the side of the PCB that you don't use in the install? That is what those are for.

OK, I see! I thought these soldering points are for the inital programming at production. But yes I checked that, they are for the display!

The only thing I did not yet understand: Copy TV. How do you copy TV?? You don't have a TV input or do you??

Actually a shame, I SELL these chips, but I am really outdated about the features.

You are correct, not all of those functions are using Linux. Linux is just a bonus, for me anyway, for the TiVo, Editing and, Couch Web Surfing and, DVD Ripping/MP3.

SmartXX is capable of having an LCD as well... you know all those sodering points along the side of the PCB that you don't use in the install? That is what those are for.

OK, I see! I thought these soldering points are for the inital programming at production. But yes I checked that, they are for the display!

The only thing I did not yet understand: Copy TV. How do you copy TV?? You don't have a TV input or do you??

Actually a shame, I SELL these chips, but I am really outdated about the features.

Here we go:

M$ trying to capitalize on the already going *Edited* Xbox version of TiVo ( MythTv, Freevo):

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/specials...oxdvr&pagenum=1

And, it makes me wonder: 9 F*n months? :o What?; they can't make enough money by making a M$ certified USB Standard Controller Connector and their own licenced version of the following lovely product? :D

UltraTV USB 300

What is that? :D All I need are ported linux drivers? :D

The State of Home-Brew PVRs on Linux

Is this theory or already working?

Ultra TV USB300 with XBox. Do you use that?

h90

Here we go:

M$ trying to capitalize on the already going *Edited* Xbox version of TiVo ( MythTv, Freevo):

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/specials...oxdvr&pagenum=1

And, it makes me wonder: 9 F*n months? :o What?; they can't make enough money by making a M$ certified USB Standard Controller Connector and their own licenced version of the following lovely product? :D

UltraTV USB 300

What is that? :D All I need are ported linux drivers? :D

The State of Home-Brew PVRs on Linux

Is this theory or already working?

Ultra TV USB300 with XBox. Do you use that?

h90

Oh, sorry that wasn't supposed to be a question mark after the "All I need are ported linux drivers?" Supposed to be an exclamation point!

All you need is ported linux drivers for the Ultra Tv USB300 to work on linux. There are already other ports of Win drivers for other DVC equipment in linux, but none for that specific product.

• 2 weeks later...