Phuket Murder Suspect Collared In Coffin Shop

webfact

Phuket murder suspect collared in coffin shop

gallery_327_1086_17764.jpg

Mr Kiattisak arrives at Chalong Police Station last night after

his capture in Chumphon earlier that day.

gallery_327_1086_32834.jpg

The suspect poses in a group photo with arresting officers,

together with a small arsenal of weapons seized as evidence

in the case.

CHALONG, PHUKET: Police yesterday morning arrested two suspects for the November 4 shooting murder of 38-year-old Weerathep Kamchan inside a flower shop on Chao Fa East Road.

Police initially suspected romantic jealousy as the motive for the murder, as the victim was known to be having a relationship with 36-year-old Boonruen Buasi, a married woman.

Mrs Boonruen, who was with the victim at the time of the shooting, immediately reported his murder to police.

Chalong Police Inspector Jarun Bangprasert said Boonruen's husband, 36-year-old Kiattisak Buasi, was picked up at the 'Mai Coffin Shop' in Chumphon's Muang District at around 7:30am yesterday.

About half an hour earlier, police had arrested his alleged accomplice, 27-year-old Weerawat Sonsuwan.

Mr Weerawat was apprehended as he was arriving to work at the nearby Chumphon Hospital.

Inside Mr Weerawat's red Isuzu pickup police found four shotguns of various calibers, ammunition and five cellphones, Maj Jarun said.

The nature of his work at the hospital has not been reported.

Both men have already confessed to charges of conspiracy to commit murder.

Mr Weerawat has also been charged with two arms violations.

Police have not yet determined which man actually pulled the trigger.

The key piece of evidence leading to the arrest was CCTV surveillance footage of the two men passing though the Tah Chat Chai checkpoint about an hour after the shooting, Maj Jarun said.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/11/20

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

If they have confessed - it does not matter who pulled the trigger - lawyers will argue temporary insanity despite premeditation - they will get convicted and incarcerated anyway and time will be served. But I am still at a loss why the Police like to display all the goodies and property they get with these arrests. Drugs are drugs, guns are guns. When someone steals T Shirts from a market they don't display those or a car! Maybe they have laws we are not aware of :)

If they have confessed - it does not matter who pulled the trigger - lawyers will argue temporary insanity despite premeditation - they will get convicted and incarcerated anyway and time will be served. But I am still at a loss why the Police like to display all the goodies and property they get with these arrests. Drugs are drugs, guns are guns. When someone steals T Shirts from a market they don't display those or a car! Maybe they have laws we are not aware of :)

The reason is the Thai legal system is one where every effort is made to secure a confession and not have a court that has to analyse.. As the actual judicial system is full of holes (and perhaps a little weak on hard evidence, courtroom performances etc). So for this reason when someone confesses, they trot out all the evidence, and make photos, and drag them around to the scene of the crime and point a 'loaded finger' to re-enact etc.

All of this is part of the locking in a confession so that when it goes to a judge no actual thinking or deliberation is needed.. Oh he did it, he says so, ok guilty. Bzzt next.

Hence 50% reductions, hence the photos, hence the re-enactments.

You mean with confessing the same kind of confession that was extracted from that self proclaimed American pedophile which was flown back first class only to figure out that he was not even in the country?

The problem with confessions is, especially in Thailand, that they hardly bear any weight. Half the poor inside prisons have confessed to a crime they did not or not commit on their own. The justice system is so flawed that you would ask Hun Sen to repair it. Without a lawyer present people get sentenced to life or worse. Have a look at how many times a Prime Minister, Minister of Justice or other hi-rake appears on TV and promises to catch someone within the next week. They always catch someone... not necessarily the one who did it. Besides if you have no money and appear in court you have two possibilities. Fighting the case, which you will lose due to lack of funds, or confessing which will half your sentence. Got the point?

I read somewhere that it is a requirement of the court system to have these photo's. Or maybe that's just the photo's of the victim pointing at the perp. Either way, we live in a county that is all about "face" and perception, little to do with truth or actual results, and this is a form of back patting for the cops ego's to be stroked a little.

Half the poor inside prisons have confessed to a crime they did not or not commit on their own

and that statements based on fact is it ? You'll find miscarriages of justice all over the world but half ? I think not ! Some would argue thailands system is better than many because here at least the burden of proof is not so great that large numbers of guilty simply get away with it - the most common miscarriage of justice we see in the west. Shot me down for speaking the truth if you will.

It always amazes me how the Thai police are able to arrest someone within days of ANY serious crime.

Within 24 hours they have a confession and a somewhat relaxed dude turns up with the Police at the scene, acting out the crime.

This means either the Thai police are one of the best forces in the world, or it's a white wash. I would be keen for the press turn up at the jail 1 year after a conviction for a quick visit with the accused.

They may find he isn't in that day!

What happened to that border Police sergeant down south who extorted, tortured & beat up members of the local community for years?

What happened to those two guys who were convicted of raping and killing the young, female British backpacker on Koh Samui? (The ones who looked like they just won the lottery after being arrested)

The list goes on.........

You mean with confessing the same kind of confession that was extracted from that self proclaimed American pedophile which was flown back first class only to figure out that he was not even in the country?

The problem with confessions is, especially in Thailand, that they hardly bear any weight. Half the poor inside prisons have confessed to a crime they did not or not commit on their own. The justice system is so flawed that you would ask Hun Sen to repair it. Without a lawyer present people get sentenced to life or worse. Have a look at how many times a Prime Minister, Minister of Justice or other hi-rake appears on TV and promises to catch someone within the next week. They always catch someone... not necessarily the one who did it. Besides if you have no money and appear in court you have two possibilities. Fighting the case, which you will lose due to lack of funds, or confessing which will half your sentence. Got the point?

I concur.

The reason is the Thai legal system is one where every effort is made to secure a confession and not have a court that has to analyse.. As the actual judicial system is full of holes (and perhaps a little weak on hard evidence, courtroom performances etc). So for this reason when someone confesses, they trot out all the evidence, and make photos, and drag them around to the scene of the crime and point a 'loaded finger' to re-enact etc.

All of this is part of the locking in a confession so that when it goes to a judge no actual thinking or deliberation is needed.. Oh he did it, he says so, ok guilty. Bzzt next.

Hence 50% reductions, hence the photos, hence the re-enactments.

So do we have:

a) a perpetual cops 'n' robbers movie script - with a prompt and always just judicial result, as commented in earlier posts - or

:D a 3rd world nation trying its best (almost?) to get it right for its people.

Discuss.

regards,Brewsta

:)....mmmm...I dunno, they all look like likely suspects in that photo, but if it’s the Somchai sitting down at the table, I couldn’t help but notice the compassion shown by the BIB’s by letting the baddy still wear his ‘lucky’ charm chain. Arrested in the mortuary eh?....well, that’ll be another nail in the coffin...heh, heh.. :D

I read somewhere that it is a requirement of the court system to have these photo's. Or maybe that's just the photo's of the victim pointing at the perp. Either way, we live in a county that is all about "face" and perception, little to do with truth or actual results, and this is a form of back patting for the cops ego's to be stroked a little.

How can the victim "point at the perp" when the victim is dead.

Do you know something about dieing that no one else knows "in that dieing is for keeps" or not.

How does a photo of the guns in the cop shop prove that they were found on the suspect. Thai police would never stack the evidence would they?

So do we have:

a) a perpetual cops 'n' robbers movie script - with a prompt and always just judicial result, as commented in earlier posts - or

:) a 3rd world nation trying its best (almost?) to get it right for its people.

Discuss.

3rd world? I would say it's at least second.

My (limited) experience in Thailand of less than a decade suggests to me that when it comes to a situation like this, the BIB tend to get it right and get it right quickly.

Like or loathe, they are not all bad and some do a dam_n fine job.

I concur.

Me too... succinct and right to the point. Nicely done mythBuster.

Lets be more positive team - A job Well Done especially if you are the family of the person murdered - Justice seen to be done (with photos) - is Justice done. Everyone sees the guy that did it and this helps the sorrow and the healing process. Knowing he isn't gonna have a good time in a Thai jail also helps and knowing that all his relatives and friends know he did it and where he is going to end up also adds to the closure that is so important in getting on with your life after a tragedy.

You need to write a play or screenpay about this as it would make riveting viewing as well as shame the current legal system and its failings.

That is some very serious weaponry laid out on that table!! :)

For 2 guys, not really it's only one hand gun each and then you have a shotgun and 3 rifles. I have close to a dozen rifles, two shotguns and 3 handguns in my house in the US, and I also keep a 9mm in my car. So really for two people it's not much at all.

My one friend in the US (he owns a gun shop) has about 20 rifles in his house don't know about handguns as he has them hidden all over the house, now he has some serious firepower. (MP5/40, M1, SIG556, AR15 etc)

3rd world? I would say it's at least second.

My (limited) experience in Thailand of less than a decade suggests to me that when it comes to a situation like this, the BIB tend to get it right and get it right quickly.

Like or loathe, they are not all bad and some do a dam_n fine job.

You're dreaming. Remember Duangchalerm Yubamrung? Thai police have no forensics, so it's confessions or eye-witnesses with flexible memories.

p.s. Second World refers to the (now defunct) Communist bloc.

For all of you who seem to think that Thai justice is lacking, let's take a look around first. Remember Scotland who turned that murderous freak loose for 'his poor health'? How about the US with the 'confessed' criminal mastermind of the 9/11 terrorist strike? Guess who gets to waste the taxpayers money back in New York?

Thais do not think the same way as non-asian countries do. Most of these type of crimes are simply crimes of the moment and not habit. He shot the guy who was sleeping with his wife. When the act was finished, so was the anger. When they caught him he just confessed because he knew it was wrong. Besides, the wife was with the victim and called the police to tell them her husband had done it. What's he going to claim? Mistaken identity?

On a side note, I've been told by more than a couple of people, that if he had shot HER it would have been better for him.

Anyone have some (real) insight on that? :)

I concur.

Keep talking and let the pressure goes on, this is fishy in my view and I am so surprised that a serious crime can solve within a short period of time. Thanks for sharing and here is my take.

"Half the poor inside prisons have confessed to a crime they did not or not commit on their own. "

If I was going to make up a statistic, I would have posted "three- quarters". You seem to think that "confessing to a crime you did not commit" is the same as "confessing to a crime in which you were involved". You are wrong.

It always amazes me how the Thai police are able to arrest someone within days of ANY serious crime.

Within 24 hours they have a confession and a somewhat relaxed dude turns up with the Police at the scene, acting out the crime.

This means either the Thai police are one of the best forces in the world, or it's a white wash. I would be keen for the press turn up at the jail 1 year after a conviction for a quick visit with the accused.

They may find he isn't in that day!

What happened to that border Police sergeant down south who extorted, tortured & beat up members of the local community for years?

What happened to those two guys who were convicted of raping and killing the young, female British backpacker on Koh Samui? (The ones who looked like they just won the lottery after being arrested)

The list goes on.........

The guys in Koh Samui got death penalty and were dispatched shortly there after courtesy Mr Thaksin

Half the poor inside prisons have confessed to a crime they did not or not commit on their own

and that statements based on fact is it ? You'll find miscarriages of justice all over the world but half ? I think not ! Some would argue thailands system is better than many because here at least the burden of proof is not so great that large numbers of guilty simply get away with it - the most common miscarriage of justice we see in the west. Shot me down for speaking the truth if you will.

I believe it is a difference in philosophy...

In the west: It is better that 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man be imprisoned for a crime he did not commit

In Thailand: It is better to imprison one innocent man than to let 100 guilty men go free

Which do you think is better???

I believe it is a difference in philosophy...

In the west: It is better that 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man be imprisoned for a crime he did not commit

In Thailand: It is better to imprison one innocent man than to let 100 guilty men go free

Which do you think is better???

Would depend on if you were that one innocent man I would imagine.

You need to write a play or screenpay about this as it would make riveting viewing as well as shame the current legal system and its failings.

As a Gilbert and Sullivan fan, I have always thought Thai justice and politics would be just up their alley.

Imagine the fun with Thaksin's doings.

We need to resurrect them..........LOL

Edited by LivinginKata

For all of you who seem to think that Thai justice is lacking, let's take a look around first. Remember Scotland who turned that murderous freak loose for 'his poor health'? How about the US with the 'confessed' criminal mastermind of the 9/11 terrorist strike? Guess who gets to waste the taxpayers money back in New York?

Thais do not think the same way as non-asian countries do. Most of these type of crimes are simply crimes of the moment and not habit. He shot the guy who was sleeping with his wife. When the act was finished, so was the anger. When they caught him he just confessed because he knew it was wrong. Besides, the wife was with the victim and called the police to tell them her husband had done it. What's he going to claim? Mistaken identity?

On a side note, I've been told by more than a couple of people, that if he had shot HER it would have been better for him.

Anyone have some (real) insight on that? :D

Montri69 said "Thais do not think the same way as non-asian countries do." :)

That is a very illogical and uninformed statement!

And your point is? Do you believe all Asians think the same way? Do the Japanese think the same as the Mongolians or Hmong? LOL. Every culture thinks and acts differently to some degree. Germans don't "think" the way US citizens do or the way the Spanish or Brazilians do.

You need to travel through Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe, the Midle East, etc. People in some African countries confess quickly if quilty. Similar scenarios takes place en mass in other countries and cultures around the world.