Mini Tractor Dealer

Gary A

On my way to Jomtien from Loei I saw a mini tractor dealer. It is just east of Chum Pae on highway 12. He had MANY Kubota and also the Yanmar. These are the little diesel tractors that look like miniature farm tractors. It appeared that the Kubota were mostly four wheel drive and the Yanmar two wheel drive. I intend to stop and get some prices when I go back up at the end of this month. I'll post prices then. I'd guess I have been here too long since I am more interested in playing with a tractor than playing with the girls. :o

On my way to Jomtien from Loei I saw a mini tractor dealer. It is just east of Chum Pae on highway 12. He had MANY Kubota and also the Yanmar. These are the little diesel tractors that look like miniature farm tractors. It appeared that the Kubota were mostly four wheel drive and the Yanmar two wheel drive. I intend to stop and get some prices when I go back up at the end of this month. I'll post prices then. I'd guess I have been here too long since I am more interested in playing with a tractor than playing with the girls.  :o

You definitely need a break away :D

Every town that has a dealer that sells the 2 wheel tractor now has kubota mini tractors on sale. I am in the market for one but will check out the second hand prices first. I checked the prices out a few weeks ago and a 28 hp 4wd kubota is 314,000 baht without the options/attachments

A 28 HP Kubota is bigger than I want and WAY more than I want to pay. The 16 or 18 HP are closer to what I want. If I can find something around 200,000 Iwould take a serious look.

I would be very careful about 2nd hand. I have seen how the Thais abuse equipment. LOL! If I could find a farang distress sale that would fit very well.

You should pick up a small Kubota for 200,000 no probs. They import a lot of second hand one's to thailand and "referbish" them sometimes you get a good on sometimes not although they are'nt that expensive to repait.

I paid 170,000 for mine (22 hp) 2 wd with a front loader. I've had to recondition the engine but it was only around 15,000 parts and labour and the tracter has a hard life and is used every day. You can convert a 2wd to a 4 wd for around 20-30,000.

A Thai rebuild is a clean up and a coat of paint. :o They DO make them look nice. A four wheel drive would make a nicer toy but I can do without. Does yours have power steering? The front bucket makes steering a man size job.

You should pick up a small Kubota for 200,000 no probs. They import a lot of second hand one's to thailand and "referbish" them sometimes you get a good on sometimes not although they are'nt that expensive to repait.

I paid 170,000 for mine (22 hp) 2 wd with a front loader. I've had to recondition the engine but it was only around 15,000 parts and labour and the tracter has a hard life and is used every day. You can convert a 2wd to a 4 wd for around 20-30,000.

A Thai rebuild is a clean up and a coat of paint.  :o  They DO make them look nice. A four wheel drive would make a nicer toy but I can do without. Does yours have power steering? The front bucket makes steering a man size job.

You're right mate thats why I put "referbished" you can sometimes get a new set of tyres out of them though. The engine rebuild was fine though (local guy just up the road I had to buy all the parts)

4wd are great much better toys wish I'd bought one in the first place, keep thinking about converting mine but just never get around to it. No power steering heavy as a heavy thing

Thanks for that opinion. A four wheel drive makes even more sense without power steering. With a load in the bucket and the front wheels pulling they do steer much easier. I'll just forget the two wheel drive idea.

Did you see any rotary tiller attachments? I could get by with an offset disk but a rotary tiller would be great.

I'd be interested in seeing what the prices are for the mini-tractors in Issan. With the heavy clay soils I'd think that 4wd would be mandatory. Steering would be a lesser concern for me but I am use to P/S as only the oldest of operational machines in the states don't have it.

Implements are an interesting issue in LOS and finding good info on the net is difficult, see links below. I know you can find rotor tillers in LOS but have found nothing on there availablity. I'd think that if Kubota tractors are available then so should their line of implements -this is LOS of course. :o

http://www.siamkubota.co.th/menu/group.asp?roomid=4

http://www.mitalai.com/index.htm

http://www.cmt-chonburi.com/displayEn.asp

http://www.minsen.co.th/tractor/maintrac.html

Eric

Thanks for that opinion. A four wheel drive makes even more sense without power steering. With a load in the bucket and the front wheels pulling they do steer much easier. I'll just forget the two wheel drive idea.

Did you see any rotary tiller attachments? I could get by with an offset disk but a rotary tiller would be great.

I'm pretty sure you can get rotary tiller attatchments for them. The question is are they powerful enough to use them

http://www.mitalai.com/images/Rotavator.jpg

That one is for use with a larger tractor. Usually the Kabuta type tractors are light general purpose tractor. We just use ours for moving feed around and cleaning, and serious ploughing ect we contract in a big Ford

I hired one of the Ford tractors to clear brush, remove trees that were not wanted and to rip up the ground where I wanted to plant a garden. I developed a new respect for those Ford/New Holland tractors. They are a REALLY tough machine to tolerate the abuse the drivers put them through. I was charged 1,000 baht a day. I have no idea how they can even pay for the fuel much less a driver's wage and the wear and tear. Since diesel fuel has gone up in price I would expect those guys to raise their price too but it will still be much cheaper to hire them for the grunt work. I am simply a hobby gardener and want to level and to mix organic material with the ground that was turned over by the big tractor. To actually prepare the ground I doubt the little tractor would have enough power with a tiller attachment. The hoe fits in my girfriends hands but not in mine. LOL. Breaking up the clods by hand after the big Ford has been over it is not my idea of a hobby. Just too much like work. I'm retired! I want to do a lot of landscaping too and the Ford is just too big to get into the places that I want dirt pushed around.

In the states my 6 hp tiller would do new ground 24 inches wide going slow but it hopped around a lot. LOL!

I'm pretty sure you can get rotary tiller attatchments for them. The question is are they powerful enough to use them

http://www.mitalai.com/images/Rotavator.jpg

That one is for use with a larger tractor. Usually the Kabuta type tractors are light general purpose tractor. We just use ours for moving feed around and cleaning, and serious ploughing ect we contract in a big Ford

You had a good deal at 1000 baht a day, for general contract work its usually 3-400 an hour, and farm work is paid by the rai (usually with 2 drivers working shifts).

If its just one off landscaping I'd consider just geting a labouring gang in to do all the heavy work (about 150 baht a day each). Or just getting a landscaper in.

If you really need a rotorvator, Your best bet is to ask the locals where the nearest dealer is and go there and ask, if the have'nt got one or cant order one they might be able to tell you where you can..

Is there any way that I NEED that tractor? Absolutely not. Can I justify spending the money as an investment? Again, absolutely not. It's in the same category as a guy buying a Rolex or a Mercedes or a boat. It's simply a toy that I could easily do without but a fun toy for me.

Interesting thread.

Sounds like you guys have been to a few tractor dealers.

Questions:

How much does a typical “low tak tak” (2 wheel rice tractor) cost?

Can you buy a new one in the range of 40,000 to 50,000 baht?

Just curious. Thanks

Interesting thread.

Sounds like you guys have been to a few tractor dealers.

Questions:

How much does a typical “low tak tak” (2 wheel rice tractor) cost?

Can you buy a new one in the range of 40,000 to 50,000 baht?

Just curious. Thanks

When I was quoted the price for the 4wd 28 hp Kubota I also asked the price for the 2 wheel tractor as well. I was told in the mid 50s but dont know how many attachements come with that. Most small towns that I drive thru seem to have at least one tractor dealer. Just pop in and ask. The more dealers in the one place, the better chance of getting a good deal by shopping around.

I have built an eigh by eight meter workshop/garage and have also purchased a MIG welder, drill press and a steel cutting band saw. I considered building a tractor and priced the Kubota mechanical buffalo diesel engine. The one I looked at was almost 30,000 baht without the drive line. I expect you could add another 20,000 for that.

I've been told 50,000 before but thats just for the tractor unit a decent trailer could set you back 30,000 new.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just come back from a couple of days in Bangkok and saw quite a few secondhand mini tractor dealers on the north side of the city around Rangsit/Ayuthaya area. They are located on Highway 1 on the left as you are entering Bangkok. They have plenty to choose from. 20 hp to 40 hp, 2wd and 4wd. They also have plenty of accessories ie. ploughs, rotary tillers, slashing attachments etc.

Well worth a visit.

Just thought I would throw my bit in for what it’s worth.

I have a cattle feedlot operation we are running on a bit over 500 rai. It is some rice paddies and the rest was previously sugar cane, which we plowed in and planted Ruzzi grass. For this we purchased a “new” 6610 ford. (new rubber and paint job). It’s an extremely rugged machine but consumes 3000 Baht of fuel in seemingly a heartbeat. So for the smaller jobs, feeding out / cleaning out the feeding pens / loading out the cow manure, towing the silage and hay trailers, we bought a Yanmar 28hp 4wd. After looking at new and used Kubota’s we decided on a new Yanmar for its maneuverability and also the dealer had a great looking secretary. We bought it with a blade, (easily disconnected) a front loader, ( removes by pulling 2 pins and 3 quick connect hydraulic connectors) a plow and a harrow. We use it after grass seeding to cover the seeds and stop the birds eating them. The tractor was 300,000 and all the attachments were another 110,000.

If you are going to fit a frontend loader you really need the 4wd and the new models come with the power steering. Completely necessary for us to get in and out of the feeding pens.

You guys were basically talking about used tractor but thought I’d chip in my bit.

Interesting comments

I have been looking at the kubotas for the last couple of months and was prepared to buy a 28 hp one but thinking that maybe one around the 40 hp mark would be more beneficial. We basically have about 80 rai of newly planted or soon to be planted rubber trees. We really want the tractor for small clean up jobs.

On the other hand I was also looking at the 6610 as well. Probaby second hand.

I would be interested in getting some more information about this one in particular. ie. fuel consumption, service requirements, etc

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting topic for those of us looking to upgrade from the walk behind tractor.

I have been looking at tractors over the last week or so and thought that I would put a bit of info here that might be useful to someone.

I have looked at the used Kubota's etc and have decided aginst them. They are imported from Japan and the dealer that I spoke to was offering a 3 month warranty. I have decided to go for a new tractor so that I know what I am getting including a 6 month or 500 hour warranty and a price that I consider to be definitately worthwhile for the piece of mind. Having checked on the internet I see that in Australia where I am from, the same tractor that I am interested in (Kubota L3408) is nearly double the price.

Implements of all types are readily available to suit all these small and medium sized tractors. Apart from all the cultivating equipment you can get augers, rice harvesters, front end buckets, hydraulic tilt trailers, slashers, mowers, bale makers, rotary cultivators even a cutter that then shoots all the grass into a cage on a trailer behind.

I have the prices on most of this gear if anyone needs them.

Cheers

Mandu

Having checked on the internet I see that in Australia where I am from, the same tractor that I am interested in (Kubota L3408) is nearly double the price.

I also checked on a website selling second hand tractors in Australia and a second hand 20 hp Kubota was selling for $AUD 20000.

Over here u can buy a new 40 hp kubota for that money.

Hi Sezzo

How are you going mate? Nice flag.

I was quoted B360,000 (around $12,000) for the L3408 4WD Kubota without any attachments. I saw on the Kubota website in Oz they have a special introductory offer of $19,995 plus GST 10% effectively $22,000.

Personally I feel that the second hand dealer that I went to (the one mentioned at the intro to this thread at Chumphae, Khon Kaen Province) was way overpriced when you compare with the new price. Same in Australia apparently from what you saw.

Mandu

Personally I feel that the second hand dealer that I went to (the one mentioned at the intro to this thread at Chumphae, Khon Kaen Province) was way overpriced when you compare with the new price.

They see a farang come into the yard and up goes the prices by at least 10 percent. I let my wife go in and check out the prices first then she calls me out of the car.

I looked at a few ford/new holland tractors when I was in bangkok last week. Those prices also vary depending on if they see a farang. Sounds like all the kubota prices are fixed as I checked out the 34 hp kubota as well and the price quoted was the same as you give.

Anyway the search continues. :o

Yes Sezzo I am sure that you are right about the "up the prices" thing.

Myself and my lady have our own little campaign against that syndrome. I personally do not like playing the "hide the farang" game. We have done it on the odd occasion depending on the circumstances.

Generally we shop around, bargain, and just walk away from those who want to play that game and buy from someone who doesn't. I think if all foreigners operated in a similar manner eventually the syndrome might cease. Or am I dreaming?

The list prices that they quote on the new tractors can definitely be bargained on, they told us that up front. We are going to go to a few dealers and see what they can do for us the same as we did when buying a vehicle.

Cheers

Mandu