Is "r.i.p." An Appropriate Valediction?

Kitsch22

I had understood (perhaps wrongly) that Theravada Buddhists believe in reincarnation forthwith after death. If that is correct, then does it follow that there is no Buddhist equivalent (short of Enlightenment) to the (hazy) Christian concept of "eternal rest"?

Perhaps I am being simplistic, but in strict terms, to wish "R.I.P." upon the death of a devout Buddhist seems at first glance to be grossly inappropriate.

Considering the bible talks about the bodies of the dead being reunited with their souls on resurrection day (at least that's the way some christians interpret it) I'd think R.I.P was pretty inappropriate for christians also.

I think you're reading that wrong. I don't think it means just lay there moldering. I think it refers to spiritual peace.

in hebrew we say 'zicaron l'bracha' meaning bless their memory.... maybe that works better although i hate that also.

i havent noticed any thai say anything like that when talking about someone who died. they just say the person died and thats that.

bina

israel

in hebrew we say 'zicaron l'bracha' meaning bless their memory.... maybe that works better although i hate that also.

i havent noticed any thai say anything like that when talking about someone who died. they just say the person died and thats that.

bina

israel

I like that benediction :)

I also like that character in The Great Gatsby who says something like "honour the person while he's alive and not after he is dead. After that my own rule is to let everything alone.”