'Jet-ski Jamboree' To Restore Phuket’s Image

webfact

'Jet-ski jamboree' to restore Phuket's image

gallery_327_1086_16879.jpg

Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee members (from left)

Vice President Thitima Chaisaeng, Vice President Polapee Suwanchawee

and President Torpong Chaiyasarn, with Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop.

PATONG, PHUKET: Phuket's jet-ski operators are going all out to mend their industry's grubby image on Thursday, when a ride on any of the island's 200-plus jet-skis will be entirely free of charge.

The message they hope to send out: Phuket's jet-skis are no longer a rip-off.

The Phuket jet-ski industry made headlines earlier in the year when foreign diplomats complained to the Thai government that Phuket jet-ski operators were extorting money out of tourists.

Then the TV show Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand hit British TV screens and YouTube.com, showing a jet-ski operator, Winai 'JJ' Naiman, extracting money out of a group of Royal Navy Marines.

A solution to the scam – in which operators demand large amounts of money from tourists for spurious 'damage', or grossly inflate repair fees – appears to be in place.

Nearly all of the island's jet-skis are now insured under a compulsory insurance scheme and bear diamond-shaped stickers to prove it.

"I guarantee jet-ski rides won't land any more tourists in trouble."

That is what Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop told members of the Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee at a meeting to discuss the issue at Provincial Hall on Friday.

In attendance were committee president Torpong Chaiyasarn and vice presidents Polapee Suwanchawee and Thitima Chaisaeng.

Also present were Phuket MP Rewat Areerob, Tourist Police officers, tour operators and representatives from local government.

Mr Torpong said the committee was in Phuket to examine tourism problems that have damaged Thailand's international image – especially the footage of JJ and its appearance on YouTube.com – and to find ways of mending that image.

Gov Wichai told the committee the jet-ski problem had been solved by the compulsory insurance scheme.

The scheme would be officially launched on Thursday, when all of the island's jet-skis will be brought to Loma Park on Patong Beach, he said.

Starting from 9am and throughout the day, all jet-ski rides will be free.

For obvious reasons, those seeking a safe and peaceful swim on the day are advised to go elsewhere.

Mr Torpong said he was glad to hear the problem had been solved, but that the insurance scheme alone was not enough to repair Phuket's reputation.

Local authorities needed to take legal action against the producers of Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand, and to report the case to YouTube.com, he said.

This, he hoped, would lead to the removal from the site of the damaging clips, which he said had now been viewed by more than one million people.

Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukhabaan questioned whether the jet-ski scam really frightened tourists away from Thailand, however.

"They're much more concerned about political conflicts that could lead to airport closures," he said.

Also discussed at the meeting was the variable price of boat tours.

Phuket Tour Boat Association President Kissada Pichetpongsanon said standard prices should be set for all tour boats operated off Phuket in order to end overcharging for trips – as well as over-discounting.

Phuket MP Rewat Areerob agreed to have further discussions with Mr Kissada on the subject.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/11/24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"I guarantee jet-ski rides won't land any more tourists in trouble."

That is what Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop told members of the Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee at a meeting to discuss the issue at Provincial Hall on Friday.

which lasted until Sunday when someone still had to pay compensation as they didnt know how the insurance works and it only pays repairs not down time.

Sure, the ride was free, but the 40.000 baht charge for fictitious repairs still applies.

This alleged insurance assurance won't last long at all. You'll see that for those who were forced to buy it to continue operating (ie. ripping off tourists) it will be a one-time purchase and that before long the same old stories will pop up.

I have no sympathy for these scam operators and the police who support them. I curse these jet-ski scum and hope to god that their stinky noise making machines are off the beach forever.

Shame on anybody who gives these nasty thugs any business.

This alleged insurance assurance won't last long at all. You'll see that for those who were forced to buy it to continue operating (ie. ripping off tourists) it will be a one-time purchase and that before long the same old stories will pop up.

I have no sympathy for these scam operators and the police who support them. I curse these jet-ski scum and hope to god that their stinky noise making machines are off the beach forever.

Completely agree with all your points.

The Jet Ski guys make far too much money scamming the tourists, they will never give that up. Downtime charges are just a figment of their imagination, and not based on the actual repair time.

I just hope the adverse publicity makes less tourists rent these noise polluting machines, and put the operators out of business.

I do not believe that the great minds of the Thai Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee members fully understand that once something is out there on the internet that removing the images and ideas expressed is not an easy task. They are used to the Thai way of says something is fixed - makes it so, in the eyes of the press.

I wonder how easy any future programme like BTinTT will find filming here.

As if they aren't bad enough on the beaches and in the water, they also create traffic jams when they get hauled down streets like Sainamyen in those ridiculous trains, with the operators showing the same ignorance and lack of manners as usual.

If I were given a magic wand that could make things disappear, and only one chance to use it, the jetski problem would be over.

As if they aren't bad enough on the beaches and in the water, they also create traffic jams when they get hauled down streets like Sainamyen in those ridiculous trains, with the operators showing the same ignorance and lack of manners as usual.

Just more of the same 'we are locals rules dont apply to us' attitude that permeates Patong.

If I were given a magic wand that could make things disappear, and only one chance to use it, the jetski problem would be over.

I think you've got a good idea for a thread by asking the question, "If you had a magic wand here in Thailand but could use it only once, what would you create, change, get rid of, etc?"

Completely agree with all your points.

The Jet Ski guys make far too much money scamming the tourists, they will never give that up. Downtime charges are just a figment of their imagination, and not based on the actual repair time.

I just hope the adverse publicity makes less tourists rent these noise polluting machines, and put the operators out of business.

I fully support your opinion.

All the western tour operators should inform their clients to stay away from these scam operators. It will benefit the tour operators in the long term also as "scammed tourists" won't easily come back again !

It's the only way.

LaoPo

• 3 weeks later...

VDO on

We turn now to our interviews with Chairat Sukaban, Deputy Mayor of Patong Municipality and later 'JJ' Winai Naiman, owner of 25 jet skis worth about 10 million baht. Over 200 jet skis registered to get new insurance to cover damage & medical bills for renters or riders, as the Phuket Governor & CEO of Ayudhaya Insurance presided over a ceremony at Patong's Loma Park, organized by Phuket Jet-ski Rental Club. JJ had been charged with threatening British marines with a gun over damages to a jetski on British TV & YouTube.com which led to this new scheme, so Chairat and JJ gave us their views on the insurance:

weekly Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 11th December 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

Edited by NBT TV Phuket

They should have restricted these filthy polluting machines to certain sections of the various beaches.

I still have no sympathy for any tourist that gets ripped off. A responsible visitor does not rent a jetski. It pollutes the water, makes noise and does not belong on a beach like Patong where people are in the water with the jet skis.

What exactly does this insurance cover? IIRC it is only to damage to the ski and does not cover any injuries. Hasn't there also been incidents since the supposed scheme came into effect where the JS boys still extorted cash for supposed damage?

I also love how the jet ski boys charge 3K day when the ski is down for "repairs". This eats right into that whopping 50K insurance coverage. I don't know of any rental car company that charges the customer for down/repair time.

What exactly does this insurance cover? IIRC it is only to damage to the ski and does not cover any injuries. Hasn't there also been incidents since the supposed scheme came into effect where the JS boys still extorted cash for supposed damage?

I also love how the jet ski boys charge 3K day when the ski is down for "repairs". This eats right into that whopping 50K insurance coverage. I don't know of any rental car company that charges the customer for down/repair time.

Down time is referred to as "Loss of Use". All major rental car agencies will charge a driver responsible for a loss for the loss of use. I believe that major rental firms like Hertz and Avis were faced with serious lawsuits in several western countries over this practice. I do not know if they cleaned up their act since most rental car outlets are franchises. The insurance available under personal and commercial auto insurance policies usually does not cover loss of use claimed by the car rental agency. This is one of the reasons why the rental firms take such a large deposit on your credit card. Read the fine print of the rental agreements and you'll be shocked. Car rental firms obtain their profits from the additional charges, not on the basic car rental fee. I don't think the jetskis generate the loss of use charges demanded by the operators and I doubt they could prove the income. (I believe that's what lost the case for the car rental agencies that undertook the same practice.) However, there is no way anyone will win a dispute with these jet ski gangsters.

So again, the best policy is to never ever rent a jet ski.

Down time is referred to as "Loss of Use". All major rental car agencies will charge a driver responsible for a loss for the loss of use. I believe that major rental firms like Hertz and Avis were faced with serious lawsuits in several western countries over this practice. I do not know if they cleaned up their act since most rental car outlets are franchises. The insurance available under personal and commercial auto insurance policies usually does not cover loss of use claimed by the car rental agency. This is one of the reasons why the rental firms take such a large deposit on your credit card. Read the fine print of the rental agreements and you'll be shocked. Car rental firms obtain their profits from the additional charges, not on the basic car rental fee. I don't think the jetskis generate the loss of use charges demanded by the operators and I doubt they could prove the income. (I believe that's what lost the case for the car rental agencies that undertook the same practice.) However, there is no way anyone will win a dispute with these jet ski gangsters.

and all the small private car rentals will charge you until the car has been returned in same condition as rented. and keep your passport until done.

Never ever give your passport when renting anything. It is a licence to be ripped off.

Just tell them the passport does not belong to you it belongs to your Government [true]. Just give a photocopy.

Please remember without your passport you are pretty much screwed in any country.

Interesting, I've never heard of anyone having to pay avis, hertz etc. for downtime on a rental.

Back to the main story, these jet ski guys will still continue to fleece the public with the BIB's stepping in to offer "advice" to pay up, so they can get their cut.

Does the new insurance policy cover personal injury? Has anyone actually seen and read the new rental agreement?