Artificial Insemination

chivo

'chivo' date='2009-11-24 23:11:31' post='3161938']

khundon,

possibly... admittedly i am just beginning to learn about the various procedures to facilitate pregnancy....

anyone had it done here?

I made an inquiry via e-mail to BNH last year for a friend who has ED , you both make an appointment to go to the hospital where they give you physical check ups to ensure firtilisation is possible . Should everything prove okay they go ahead with the insemnation , there may be an overnight stay .The whole cost they quoted for everything was $500.00 .

Good luck and happy father-hood .

The whole cost they quoted for everything was $500.00 .

Never trust a Thai quote. Put another 50% on, to cover your arse.

Why! they don't put it into your arse. :D

Chivo

To be serious for a moment, if the problem is erectile dysfunction then the procedure is normally as follows.

If the female is on a short cycle (28 days) on the second day of the females period, she would start by taking BUSERLIN (drug names may differ in name in LOS) 1 x 150 micrograms nasal spray 4 times daily into one nostril, (alternating the nostril each time) and 2x 150 micrograms at bedtime.

The same day, injections of PUREGON 50 IU are injected subcutaneously into the lower tummy area. This can be self administered with an auto injector which delivers a measured dose. The needle is very small so no real pain. :D

These doses are repeated for 6 days, when a blood test is taken to check various hormone levels etc.

Also on the 6th day a vaginal Doppler scan is done (not painful just embarrassing) to asses the development of the ovaries and the thickness of the womb.

Normally, but not always, the ovaries work on an alternate basis, so no problem unless one of her fallopian tubes is blocked. Ideally they will be looking for a follicle cell of over 18mm, 24mm is best. If the cell is not the required size then usually a wait of 2 days will give it time to develop. Another Doppler scan will confirm the required size.

Next day, an injection of 5000 IU Human Chorionic Gonadotropin is given in the tummy area.

The following day, at an arranged time the male supplies a sample of semen to the hospital Andrologist, who will choose around 6 million of the best swimmers and mix them with a liquid carrier agent (takes about 2 hours to sort them, well you try counting to 6 million) :D the sample is then inserted into the womb via the cervix and the lady lays down for an hour.

4 days after insemination, an injection of 1500 IU of HCG is given, followed 5days later by another 1500 IU of HCG, then it's all over. :)

No need for overnight stay. I'm not sure how the Thai hospitals can do all this in one day, as the process can take up to 9 days on short cycle and longer if she is on long menstrual cycle.

Of course, if you just require someone to carry out basic insemination, they may well do a simple insertion of semen for $500.

Personally I would want to know the reasons for the lady not getting pregnant, before I went down the route of IUI.

This would involve having the semen checked for motility, mobility and count and also for the partner to have a gyny check for tube blockage etc.

Good luck. :D

I forgot to mention, success rates are only about 15% a pop, so many treatments may be required. Treatment may vary, according to many differing factors with the male and female partners.

Edited by khundon

I'd hate to disagree 'khundon' but I'd put todays success rates as higher than 15%, to more like 30%. In saying that, we used IVF twice, and both time were 100% successful. Resulting in 3 children.

I hate to be pedantic, but that's a 150% success rate.

I'd hate to disagree 'khundon' but I'd put todays success rates as higher than 15%, to more like 30%. In saying that, we used IVF twice, and both time were 100% successful. Resulting in 3 children.

I hate to be pedantic, but that's a 150% success rate.

Whatever % it was, we were truely lucky to conceive on first go, both times. The second time was even more lucky as the embryo's were frozen. Which stands a lower % rate to conceive. Edited by sinbin

IVF and artificial insemination not the same (altho the former will include the latter).

I think what Op is referring to is either:

(1) extraction of his sperm for implanation in the woman's uterus - appropriate if the problem is ED, his sperm count & motility are OK and no known problems on the woman's side

or

(2) implantation of donor sperm into the woman's uterus, appropriate if the man has no sperm (eg had a vasectomy) or his sperm count/motility very low altho in this case they can sometimes still effect a pregbnancy through techniques which concentrate the sperm; as with #1, done in cases where there is not thought to be an issue on the woman's side.

These can be done either with or without the use of fertility drugs. Doing it without is less expensive and avoids increased risk of multiple pregnancy (twins/triplets etc) but disadvantage is it may take more times to achieve a pregnancy.

ANyhow plenty of people have had this and permutations thereof done in Thailand.

Would help to know better exactly what the fertiltiy tests have shown.

Sinbin

So do I. :)

The figures I quoted were for IUI, not as you used, IVF. The figures are quoted in NHS literature in UK and on many other sites which advise on infertility problems.

I agree, some clinics may quote higher figures (especially in Thailand) but that may be just to get the business. :D

However here in UK, both private and NHS clinics quote the figures I have given.

I think if you were to average out IUI used under all possible scenarios, taking into account any medical problems the male and female may be experiencing, you may find that it is even lower than 17% :D

Glad that IVF worked for you. :D

Edited by khundon

Just to clear my own insecure ego, it's not ED!

just a few lazy swimmers in my fluid and wife has non- regular mens cycle (not standard) it varies and timing is difficult to line up.

thanks for the answers and input.

Let me add some real and current experience.

I am 58 and have a slightly below average sperm count. I have not fathered a child before as my ex-wife (Brit) was diabetic and refused to hand down the gene.

My 35 year old Thai wife produces only one or two eggs a month without drug reinforcement.

After a two year relationship we went for IUI, cos it is much cheaper than IVF. We went to Bumrungrad in Bangkok, which is probably top of the range. Extremely pleasant experience - you will feel like a rich Arab!

We paid about baht 15,000 a time. The first two times failed, but we expect to have a baby girl in 3 weeks time. We are over the moon. [The third time was slightly more expensive as more drug was given].

If the third time had failed we would have gone for one more cheaper shot before stepping up to IVF. You can get IUI for about half the Bumrungrad price at the second tier private hospitals (source: discussion with Phya Thai hospital) - when I challenged the Bumrungrad hospital consultant on this he simply said 'we are the best'. In my current happy state I'm inclined to believe him!

Don't hesitate to PM me if you want more detailed experience

My 35 year old Thai wife produces only one or two eggs a month without drug reinforcement.

Sorry to nitwick but that isn't "produce" it's release, women are born with all their eggs already in their ovaries.

And-- not such a small point -- all fertile women release "only" one or two eggs a month, that is the normal human female ovulatory process. Which is why multiple births (twins, triplets etc) are uncommon. Normally just one egg a month, occasionally two, very rarely 3 or more.

Sorry to nitwick but that isn't "produce" it's release, women are born with all their eggs already in their ovaries.

And-- not such a small point -- all fertile women release "only" one or two eggs a month, that is the normal human female ovulatory process. Which is why multiple births (twins, triplets etc) are uncommon. Normally just one egg a month, occasionally two, very rarely 3 or more.

I always knew my mum was special. I was one of triplets. :D We were born on her birthday, she wanted a washing machine but got us instead. :)

Edited by khundon