Emergency Passport

Hi every one

I damaged my passport(the washing machine did it ) while working in Oman I spent the last 4 weeks trying to get a new one with out success the best they can do is a emergency passport. I will be entering Thailand on a tourist visa. Will I have trouble. Next problem is they will need a birth certificate does any one no how long it takes to get one from the embassy in bangkok as I have 5 weeks until I am due to fly back to Oman for work

Thanks

Rigger

There was a good documentary about a year ago about the British Embassy in Bangkok which highlighted some of the everyday problems that that they have to deal with :D .

Apart from the usual stuff referring to Visa applications (big fat 40 F.F.Fs and their new "ladies"wanting to- go -England,the enterprising business executives holidaying in Bang Kwan and the happy tourist who (quote) leave their brains at the airport they also covered lost and stolen passports...

The was one instance of a Boy Scout leader who had his nicked on the way home (from sattahip Jambo) at Don Muang (in this case Not Prepared)and got a new one at the Embassy in about 2 hours.

Dont suppose he would have too much of a problem proving his identity....Short hairy legs,knee length sox,a khaki shirt with badges and all topped off with a Baden Powel Hat ....yea no prob...English. :D

In your case if you have a pp even if its an emergency (assume 5 year )then I dont forsee a problem.

By having the thing you have proven that you are entittled to it and since you have already had a big one earlier I cant even see any need for a birth certificate.

I have had extensions from Saudi,Iraq and Nigeria but the rules may have change since....so....

Incidently ref the British Embassy above I think they came out of it very well and put them all in a very good light......just hope they dont forget to put a shilling in the meter now and again. :o

Hi every one

I damaged my passport(the washing machine did it ) while working in Oman I spent the last 4 weeks trying to get a new one with out success the best they can do is a emergency passport. I will be entering Thailand on a tourist visa. Will I have trouble. Next problem is they will need a birth certificate does any one no how long it takes to get one from the embassy in bangkok as I have 5 weeks until I am due to fly back to Oman for work

Thanks

Rigger

Due to security issues, and the hi-tech method of producing them, Australian passports are only produced in 3 places now: Canberra, London and Washington. Given this, the embassy says to allow 10 days for the passport to arrive from wherever it is produced.

Do you still have your old (but damaged) passport by any chance? Take that, any Australian ID that you have (medicare card, drivers license, Aust. Credit Cards, tax file number), anything Australian you can think of to the embassy and that might negate the need for a birth certificate.

Given that Australia doesn't have an embassy in Oman, they probably couldn't verify your ID to their satisfaction , which is probably why you were only issued with a temp passport till you got to BKK and presented yourself in person to an Australian immigration official who can confirm it.

Edited by samran

Hi every one

Thanks

Rigger

Whyever do you need another birth certificate to get a new Australian passport ? You have already proven you dob to the Australian Passport Office.

Reminder ...

You should always have photocopies of your passport in a 2nd place. All relevant pages, entry stamp, Visa page, photo page, etc.

Also scanning them in to a computer and uploading them by emailing them to yourself and leaving them on the server is recommended if you can/know how to do it.

Happy Songkran to everyone !!!

I have a reduced size photocopy (credit card size) which I have laminated

and can carry as an "id card" when I am out and about.

The real passport stays in my safe!!

Blimey Astral, I have enough trouble reading the stamps and dates in my full size passport. Do you carry a magnifying glass with your mini-me set of ID :o

Not sure what he means with temporary passport.

For example a Belgian national who happens to lose his passport in Thailand will only be issued a "temporary travel document". This is not a passport, just a standard form with your picture attached to it and stamped officially by the embassy.

This is accepted by the Thai immigration, they will put a stamp on it telling you when your visa expires.

You can only return to your home country with this document. You cannot travel to any other country!

Only Belgian expat nationals who officially have their Thai address registered at the embassy are entitled to a new passport. This will take around 3 weeks as the passports are only produced in Belgium...

Not sure what he means with temporary passport.

For example a Belgian national who happens to lose his passport in Thailand will only be issued a "temporary travel document". This is not a passport, just a standard form with your picture attached to it and stamped officially by the embassy.

This is accepted by the Thai immigration, they will put a stamp on it telling you when your visa expires.

You can only return to your home country with this document. You cannot travel to any other country!

Only Belgian expat nationals who officially have their Thai address registered at the embassy are entitled to a new passport. This will take around 3 weeks as the passports are only produced in Belgium...

Don't worry Mont, Australian temp PP's are much are valid for travel anywhere for a year. They only have 4 visa pages though.

They are issued when an Australian embassy/consulate is unable to issue with a full 10-year hi tech super-dooper biometric passport in time for you to travel.

Reminder ...

You should always have photocopies of your passport in a 2nd place. All relevant pages, entry stamp, Visa page, photo page, etc ...

it.

Excellent advice, :o

I never carry my passport (though technically it's illegal not to), never had a problem when presenting a photocopy I keep in my wallet for proving identity, (getting into clubs, money transactions, ...)

Hi every one

Thanks

Rigger

:o

Not good news for you. It will take you an absolute minimum of 2 weeks to get a passport at U.S. Embessy in BKK. They are now issued from the states and must be mailed to the embessy from processing center in New Hampshire. You should pay more for express service if you need passport quickly. Don't expect less than 14 days to get to BKK.

Second thing: you will need birth certificate (or proof of previous passport issued) BEFORE they will give you new passport. That means you will need a copy from your hometown records (city hall, registrar of births, etc) before you can be given passport. If you have any proof, even cover, of old U.S. passport (with passport number readable) bring it to the embessy. Even if the inside pages are totally washed out, bring the cover.

These days (after 9/11) they are very strict about requirements for proof of citizenship, so expect problems. Also they will question you about how/why your old passport was damaged. The story that it was "washed in the laundry" is the most common, and won't be believed. According to the state department the ink in a normal passport (especially the ID page) won't wash off. Also there should be magnetic codes embedded in the passport that can be identified. I know that the ink CAN wash off if given a good hard washing, but they will have a hard time believing that.

Best thing to do: if you can, travel on your emergency passport back to Oman. Then go to embessy there and get new passport

:D

Go online to the Department of State web site and read the requirements for getting new/replacement passports. It is much stricter than it used to be.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Now Rigger has gone missing without a travel document  :o

Thanks for the replies it seems that every thing should be ok. I got the emergency passport but will be have a holiday in Oman muscat for a few days while they get my work visa sorted out. Hanging to get home I have only spent 3 weeks at home in the last 13 week due to work comitments makes it hard when you have a growing family

Rigger

Now Rigger has gone missing without a travel document  :o

Thanks for the replies it seems that every thing should be ok. I got the emergency passport but will be have a holiday in Oman muscat for a few days while they get my work visa sorted out. Hanging to get home I have only spent 3 weeks at home in the last 13 week due to work comitments makes it hard when you have a growing family

Rigger

Good for you Rig :D