A Few Questions

Hi guys, just a few questions I have on my mind;

1. Is Thailand Tefl the most highly regarded and 'trustworthy' organisation to do the course with?

2. How much would I be looking to bring over to subsidise living costs?

3. Is it pretty much a cert you will be placed in a job upon completion?

4. I was thinking of taking a year out and persuing this. Would it look good on my CV? I am currently in sales after completing my management degree at university.

Thanks folks!

You might want to check out the ads on this site for comparison. It's difficult to know which course is best for you.

How much your expenses are going to be will depend on where you are planning on studying. Some locations are more expensive to live in than others. Let us know where you plan to be located and posters can give you more specific information.

The schools assist in placing students in jobs, but I don't know that they can make a guarantee.

The CV will not hurt you and it will most likely help you. The degree (I am assuming it is a Bachelors) is very important.

I note from posts in other threads that you might enjoy the nightlife. Keep in mind that extracurricular activities can be expensive.

Hopefully some other posters out there can start filling in some blanks for you.

Thanks Scotty. I was thinking about Chiang Mai or Pattaya. The reason for these choices is the fact you give get by on a relatively low budget and you also have a good element of nightlife when and if you need it. I would Bangkok but I fear the prices would be a bit too much for me.

I would hope to see a different side to Thailand to that I have witnessed on my travels. I wouldn't be in 'millionaire' mode either, and partying would be done on the occasional weekend here and there. I think it would be good for me as I have had one hel_l of a year back here in the UK.

My degree is in Management with marketing, and the roles I have undertaken in the past are sales/account management based. I feel that taking the 6 month/1 year break now and doing the teaching would definitely not do my CV any harm for when I return. If anything it would just show I was versatile and have had more life experience than others my age.

Thanks again

Hi to the OP, I just have a few suggestions to those four interesting questions.

1. With all due respect, if you must get a TEFL, do one in your home country, unless you are trying to promote or publicise a certain Thai organisation. If you're only coming for a year, you'd have to consider whether a TEFL is even necessary, lots of people seem to get hired without one - the key is actually having a passion for the work you're doing and physically being in Thailand to pick up work and make contacts.

2. I'd suggest a budget of 150,000baht to see you through a month's training in Thailand and help you adjust to living expenses before your first pay check comes through. A further 100,000baht saved up would take the financial pressure off the duration of your stay.

3. Some courses do 'promise' jobs upon completion but probably take some of your salary as comission, you'd fair better independently.

4. It wouldn't look bad on your CV per se but if you are in sales, taking yourself out of that environment would hurt you professionally as you'd lose momentum. I wouldn't say it was a good move. Your future employers would be rather indifferent to your experience in Thailand 'Oh that's interesting, good for you' they'd most likely say.

If you really do decide to come and work in Thailand, please get decent health insurance for the entire duration of your stay; inform the government of your home country that you plan to stay abroad for a year, and register with your embassy in Thailand.