Really Need Some Help!

DarloKnight

We have finally booked a hotel in Krabi for a week and have decided after that we want to go to Hua Hin aswell for a week. I have looked at the trains but do not know which station to travel from would it be Surat Thani or Trang don't know which is closest to Krabi, also how much would it cost for a private taxi to take us to the station?

The other option I am thinking of is just a private taxi straight to Hua Hin but do I need to book this before we get to Krabi or is this smonthing I could do once we get there? And what would the cost be?

We travel in less than 4 weeks so I really need to get this sorted so please can someone help me I am getting really worried now.

Many thanks

Julie

Nearest train stations would be Trang or Surat Thani, with about an hour's drive either way.

Thai trains are very very slow and the train timetable is not a very convenient schedule, in my experience.

From Krabi to Hua Hin would be at least a 4 hour taxi trip (driving fast). I suspect that would be a lot quicker than taxi to station, and train to Hua Hin.

You can easily organise in Krabi at any tour desk or by talking to any private car taxi driver. Cost, depends on your negotiating skills. My wild guess would be about 5,000 baht.

You can easily organise in Krabi at any tour desk or by talking to any private car taxi driver. Cost, depends on your negotiating skills. My wild guess would be about 5,000 baht.

Wow, sounds like a pretty wild guess to me! I'd think a LOT less, but right or wrong, a VIP or any decent tour bus plus the train is a better and much cheaper option. As for the trains, you should go from Surat Thani, it's in the right direction for starters (Hat Yai? WAYYY out of the way!), and there are a lot of trains, including an overnight express sleeper that leaves at 11:17 PM or so, and it gets into Hua Hin theoretically before 6AM, bur probably after 6. Or, if you catch a bus from Krabi to Surat early enough in the morning, you can catch the 10:40 AM train, which gets in at around 4PM. Your Krabi hotel can set the bus up for you. You can reserve for the train online at the Thai railway site, http://www.thairailwayticket.com/Default.aspx?language=1 . . . some people complain about the trains, but I love them. You can relax, see the countryside, and meet people. The sleepers (I always go 2nd class sleeper) save the cost of a hotel for the night. Trains are slower than flying, to be sure, and maybe some of the express buses, but they're much more comfortable, and I can't see how the schedules are inconvenient, at least for that trip.

Well ... would be about 800Km round trip for the taxi, fuel alone would be near 2,500 baht. My 'wild guess' was calculated using web prices for taxi from from Phuket to Krabi, distance about 200 Km (400 Km round trip) of 3,900 baht.

Train schedule ... 2 trains from Trang to Hua Hin at 13.25, arrive 00.46 and 17.20, arrive 03.35. To me thats inconvenient. I've often wanted to catch the train up to Bangkok, but a look at the timetable really puts me off.

The VIP bus Krabi to Hua Hin is not so expensive, depends how many people travelling, compared with Taxi price. If just 1 or 2 people, then take the bus.

Thanks for the info how often do the buses leave Krabi to Hua Hin? Also I emailed a few companies in Krabi for rates to take us to Hua Hin one wanted 7900 and the other wanted 8000, we can't afford that amount I was prepared to pay 5000 did not realise it would be so much.

I still think you could negotiate direct with a driver for 5,000 baht.

Bus Krabi Hua Hin. Google those words. I see

Krabi - Hua Hin by A/C Bus/Van depart 17.30pm 0 Arr 02.00am 600 Baht

Take the bus to Bangkok and get off at Hua Hin

Krabi - Bangkok

1st class air-conditioned bus 24 Seats 17.30 12.00 921

Krabi Bus Terminal Tel. 0-7561-1804

2nd class air-conditioned bus 50 Seats 16.30 12.30 592

Krabi (Khlong Tom) - Bangkok

1st class air-conditioned bus 40 Seats 16.20 12.30 614

Buy ticket at Kodak Shop Tel. 0-7564-0417