Honda Pcx

alexth

In Chiang Mai, a few dealers have one black/brown Honda PCX as a display model, priced at 74,000.-.

Of course strictly no test drive, and not even a chance to start the engine.

At least, I could sit on the scooter and found the sitting position not really suitable for someone 6'2 (186cm) and long legs. Due to the contoured seat with integrated back rest, it is not possible to move back any further, and so the space between my knees and the handle bar is only about 2 inches when strait, but touches my knees when the handle bar is turned.

Looking at the specifications, the dry weight is stated as 135 KG. That is a lot for a scooter driven by a 125cc engine. A Honda Scoopy weights only 96 KG.

While nobody seems to know the power output of the PCX, it has the same engine used in the Honda SH125i sold abroad, that has 14 Horse Power at 9000 RPM, so the weight / power ratio would be about the same as the 110cc Honda Scoopy with 9.5 Horse Power and 96 KG, about 10KG / 1 HP

So, hopefully, there will be a chance to test drive the PCX here in Chiang Mai, but right now, for my body size, and considering the high price, high weight and small engine, I would perhaps go for another scooter.

Edited by Orita

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Chiang Mai, a few dealers have one black/brown Honda PCX as a display model, priced at 74,000.-.

Of course strictly no test drive, and not even a chance to start the engine.

At least, I could sit on the scooter and found the sitting position not really suitable for someone 6'2 (186cm) and long legs. Due to the contoured seat with integrated back rest, it is not possible to move back any further, and so the space between my knees and the handle bar is only about 2 inches when strait, but touches my knees when the handle bar is turned.

Looking at the specifications, the dry weight is stated as 135 KG. That is a lot for a scooter driven by a 125cc engine. A Honda Scoopy weights only 96 KG.

While nobody seems to know the power output of the PCX, it has the same engine used in the Honda SH125i sold abroad, that has 14 Horse Power at 9000 RPM, so the weight / power ratio would be about the same as the 110cc Honda Scoopy with 9.5 Horse Power and 96 KG, about 10KG / 1 HP

So, hopefully, there will be a chance to test drive the PCX here in Chiang Mai, but right now, for my body size, and considering the high price, high weight and small engine, I would perhaps go for another scooter.

There is a serious flaw in your figures that drive you to the wrong conclusion. First off, one doesn't go around comparing the performance of cars or motorcycles using remote control without a passenger or driver on board. I weigh 76 kilos on a good day. Add my 76 kilos to the 96 kilograms of the Snoopy and you get 172 kilograms total weight that 9.5 horsepower has to haul around. Divide 172 by 9.5 and you get 18.1. Now, assuming the 125 c.c. PCXI has 14 horsepower, I add the weight of this bike of 135 kg to my weight of 76 kilograms and we have 211 kilos this larger bike has to haul around. Divide the 211 kilos by 14 horsepower and you get 15.07 kilograms per horsepower. That's about 3 kilograms per horsepower less so you divide that by 15.07 and you have a 20 % superior power to weight ratio in favor of the new PCXI.

But most of the time I'm not driving solo. I have my 43 kilo Thai girlfriend onboard more than 90 % of the time. The figures now are ...for the Scoopy......76 + 43 + 96=215 dividing by 9.5 horsepower gives you 22.63. For the PCXi it's 76 + 43 + 135=254. Divide that by 14 horsepower gives you 18.1 which is the identical kilograms per horsepower one has driving solo on the Snoopy. So you accelerate just as fast with your girlfriend riding behind you on the PCXI as you do going alone on the Snoopy. Now that's a pretty meaningful difference. It comes out to a 25 % performance edge to the PCXi riding two up. But for a Westerner I'm a light weight and my gf is possibly smaller than the average Thai woman so that 25 % edge for the PCXi will become greater as the weight of driver and passenger increases.

And you have much bigger tires on the PCXi and a far superior shock absorber system. It's one helluva lot more bike. And so is the 135 c.c.Yamaha Nouvo Elegance for that matter. My advice to practically anyone wanting to buy a motorbike-scooter type machine is to 1. Get an automatic (not a Wave style manual) and 2. Get the largest automatic you can short of something like a 550,000 baht T Max. This means either the Honda PCXi or the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. You get far more comfortable seating (for most people), a heavier duty chassis, much better shock absorbing system, more power (in most cases), greater under the seat capacity for groceries and the like, and bigger wheels and tires which by themselves can mean the difference between life and death.

Edited by jackcorbett

For the few km's I do in town I am totally satisfied with my new Scoopy. And it uses much less gas than my previous Airblade (probably due to fuel injection). Besides this it is quite fast on Sukhumvit.

For the few km's I do in town I am totally satisfied with my new Scoopy. And it uses much less gas than my previous Airblade (probably due to fuel injection). Besides this it is quite fast on Sukhumvit.

I have noticed in Scoopy's I've seen on show room floors that they have significantly larger tires than many other models...eg. Mios and Finos. That is a big plus. I also noticed a Russian neighbor of mine has larger than stock tires on his Mio. Smart Russian. And when I took my Nouvo Elegance into the shop for service I noticed a Nouvo MX with pathetic undersized tires. Whoever it was took the original stock tires off, perhaps once they wore out and put the skimpy tires on to get better gas mileage. Whoever it was, was not smart in my book. And when i get more miles on my Nouvo Elegance i'm thinking of moving up a tire size.

While we all like power in a motorcycle, the most important criteria in a scooter should be convenience. Usually, scooters are for short trips down congested roads, or areas where you can't park a car, and not for extended overland trips.

Squeeze in and pull out your scooter between other tightly parked bikes a few times a day, and weight becomes an issue.

So, a lighter, more nimble scooter seems a better choice for Thailand's urban roads. With fuel injected engines, most need only about 2 Liters / 100 KM this days.

Larger size does not necessarily translate into a better ride. From a certain size on, larger tires don't automatically translate into a safer ride, but decrease driving comfort.

If "real power" is needed, scooters are definitely not the right choice anyhow. Would a 500cc scooter on steroids a la Yamaha T-Max make much sense in Thailand. In my opinion not.

Edited by Orita

While we all like power in a motorcycle, the most important criteria in a scooter should be convenience. Usually, scooters are for short trips down congested roads, or areas where you can't park a car, and not for extended overland trips.

Squeeze in and pull out your scooter between other tightly parked bikes a few times a day, and weight becomes an issue.

So, a lighter, more nimble scooter seems a better choice for Thailand's urban roads. With fuel injected engines, most need only about 2 Liters / 100 KM this days.

Larger size does not necessarily translate into a better ride. From a certain size on, larger tires don't automatically translate into a safer ride, but decrease driving comfort.

If "real power" is needed, scooters are definitely not the right choice anyhow. Would a 500cc scooter on steroids a la Yamaha T-Max make much sense in Thailand. In my opinion not.

click, airblade, fino, snoopy, NouvoMX, Nouvo E, pcx, suzuki hayate are all convinient. but very different in legroom, performance, brakes, handling and power. 2 liters/km are not available among the above mentioned. Try 3.

yammy has sold a lot of TMax in LOS, and I loved my. convinient, fast and comfy. However thats another league at 555k baht :)

Yes scooter must be handy, if not I would only ride my Ninja 650, but

I still want to know if the PCX outpowers Yammy E 135???

Due to new thai legislation regarding emissions etc for new vehicles introduced in LOS, all motorcycles will have to comply to ever tightening restrictions.

ALL motorcycles will have to be fitted with catalytic converters which inturn means fuel injection as well.

From the early part of next year honda will cease to manufacture any form of scooter or motorcycle without fuel injection and catalytic converters.

Suzuki has already started to introduce fuel injection across their range of bikes. Yamaha are the only ones that haven't done so yet.

Yamaha will do shortly!!

Honda PCX??? You can't really compare the pcx to any other model from any other brand in thailand - there isn't a comparable machine available.

The pcx has been introduced to thailand and is being released as a 'global bike'. It is crossing into the territory of the maxi scooter. which is where you should be making your comparisons, as these aren't readily available here in LOS it's going to be a little difficult.

The initial bike is the pcx Prestige with all the trimmings including alarm etc. There will be a lower spec model due in a few months (for the price conscious) after the release of the new 250cc naked bike.

The engine in the pcx is not the same as installed in the sh125, it is an all new 125 with new starter technology and v belt transmission. This new engine will eventually replace the engine in the s-wing which is currently available as 125cc and 150cc.

The pcx engine will also be increased in the near future to include a 150cc as already available in the s-wing and the 2 models will be available side by side.

Honda CBR 150??? this will be replaced with a new fuel injected model to comply with the emission standards and the styling will be updated to match the currently available european spec cbr 125 r. Both the cbr 150 and cbr 125 share the same frame and supension components. So for the cbr 150 r it will be an engine swap plus styling update with cbr125 r remaining the same with some standard annual graphic/styling updates.

It is crossing into the territory of the maxi scooter. which is where you should be making your comparisons, as these aren't readily available here in LOS it's going to be a little difficult.

yammy TMax 500 auto has been available from yammy Thailand for 2 years now. At 555.000 baht. Sold plenty of them. Must be more than 30 rentals on Patong Beach by now.

Test-sat the PCX, and yeah this is a new chapter for scooters in Thailand. The cockpit looks like a car, with switches on the dashboard. The whole things feels like the sort of scooter Mercedes would make if they made a scooter. Classy. I imagine the tech and style will trickle down to all other models over the years.

The T-Max is NOT readily available. You can't go into any yamaha dealer in any town in any province through out LOS and ask for T-Max details let alone buy it. but if the T-Max 500 was readily avaiable it wouldn't really be the ideal machine to use for a comparison, would it? You can buy Yamaha YZF R6's in Thailand, but comparing it to the Honda CBR 150R might be stretching it a bit.... IMHO

But, you will soon be able to compare the PCX to an S-Max.

The Yamaha S-Max will be comming to a Yamaha dealer near you soon!! It will be fuel-injected single cylinder 125cc. It will have very very similar specs to the Honda PCX including a centrally positioned fuel tank to increase the underseat storage area. Exact dates for it's release, including specs and prices haven't been revealed yet!!!

The Yamaha S-Max will be added to the Yamaha range as an upmarket top end scooter to compete with the Honda PCX. It will not replace the Elegence which is an alternative to the airblade for those that feel the MX is aimed at younger buyers. It is rumoured that the MX may be replaced!!! but nothing has been confirmed.

The T-Max is NOT readily available. You can't go into any yamaha dealer in any town in any province through out LOS and ask for T-Max details let alone buy it. but if the T-Max 500 was readily avaiable it wouldn't really be the ideal machine to use for a comparison, would it? You can buy Yamaha YZF R6's in Thailand, but comparing it to the Honda CBR 150R might be stretching it a bit.... IMHO

The Yamaha S-Max will be comming to a Yamaha dealer near you soon!! It will be fuel-injected single cylinder 125cc. It will have very very similar specs to the Honda PCX including a centrally positioned fuel tank to increase the underseat storage area. Exact dates for it's release, including specs and prices haven't been revealed yet!!!

The Yamaha S-Max will be added to the Yamaha range as an upmarket top end scooter to compete with the Honda PCX. It will not replace the Elegence which is an alternative to the airblade for those that feel the MX is aimed at younger buyers. It is rumoured that the MX may be replaced!!! but nothing has been confirmed.

T Max, presently yammys top end scooter, has been available through selected yammy dealers for a couple of years. I have had one, and sold it a year ago.

All the others you mention are far away from maxi scooters with small engines, small brakes and low weight

Hondas top end auto is called DN-01 as I recall, so far not officially sold in LOS

Edited by katabeachbum

Test-sat the PCX, and yeah this is a new chapter for scooters in Thailand. The cockpit looks like a car, with switches on the dashboard. The whole things feels like the sort of scooter Mercedes would make if they made a scooter. Classy. I imagine the tech and style will trickle down to all other models over the years.

Yes, that's pretty much how I felt when I first saw it and had no hesitation in going for it over the Airblade which I had been looking to buy.

Some seem to think the PCX is too expensive, but to me it's a cut above any other small bike available here at present and am very happy with it so far.

T Max, presently yammys top end scooter, has been available through selected yammy dealers for a couple of years. I have had one, and sold it a year ago.

All the others you mention are far away from maxi scooters with small engines, small brakes and low weight

Hondas top end auto is called DN-01 as I recall, so far not officially sold in LOS

I think you're missing the point that Scuddy is making here, he seems to be pretty well informed and 'on the button' in what he's said in his posts from where I'm sat.

I think you're missing the point that Scuddy is making here, he seems to be pretty well informed and 'on the button' in what he's said in his posts from where I'm sat.

No, I m not missing his point, just adjusting his facts to reality.

No, I m not missing his point, just adjusting his facts to reality.

There's none so blind as those who will not see :)

Honda PCX??? You can't really compare the pcx to any other model from any other brand in thailand - there isn't a comparable machine available.

The pcx has been introduced to thailand and is being released as a 'global bike'. It is crossing into the territory of the maxi scooter. which is where you should be making your comparisons, as these aren't readily available here in LOS it's going to be a little difficult.

Finally had a look at the PCX today. One machine available at the local dealer at 73k baht

It is very similar to the Airblade, except for the large plasticpanels making it look like a Maxi scooter. Still one tiny front disc and rear drum. Same rims, but 1 cm larger tyres. Undersetstorage slightly larger. Approx same wheelbase and overall length. Since the seat makes you have a fixed seatingposition, legroom isnt that great.

It is in no way crossing into Maxi Scooter segment, and Scuddy confuses me with first saying thats where we should make our comparison but its difficult cause they arent available in LOS? Then saying I cant compare with TMax, the only Maxi Scooter sold by selected yammy dealers in LOS. Whats it gonna be?

Comparing these two bikes is IMHO nonsense. Except for the looks, they have nothing in common.

PCX Prestige is a 125cc scooter with idling stop and remote controlled alarm.

Some will still prefere Yammy Elegance 135cc.

I will decide when I have a powercomparison. Airblade PGM-Fi is to slow.

Finally had a look at the PCX today. One machine available at the local dealer at 73k baht

It is very similar to the Airblade, except for the large plasticpanels making it look like a Maxi scooter. Still one tiny front disc and rear drum. Same rims, but 1 cm larger tyres. Undersetstorage slightly larger. Approx same wheelbase and overall length. Since the seat makes you have a fixed seatingposition, legroom isnt that great.

It is in no way crossing into Maxi Scooter segment, and Scuddy confuses me with first saying thats where we should make our comparison but its difficult cause they arent available in LOS? Then saying I cant compare with TMax, the only Maxi Scooter sold by selected yammy dealers in LOS. Whats it gonna be?

Comparing these two bikes is IMHO nonsense. Except for the looks, they have nothing in common.

It's pretty clear from the above post you've already made your decision, a powercomparison is not going to change the picture markedly.

If an Airblade PGM-FI is too slow I can confidently assert you forget about the PCX and stick with the Elegance 135cc which is still probably the quickest of these bikes.

I think once you've taken the opportunity to reread what i've written and take note of the wording I used in prevoius posts you'll realise, after your most recent post, there's nothing more I or anybody else need to say..........

I think once you've taken the opportunity to reread what i've written and take note of the wording I used in prevoius posts you'll realise, after your most recent post, there's nothing more I or anybody else need to say..........

better, I quoted you :):D

BTW, T Max is sold by more dealers than Mercedes Benz, the leading upmarket carmaker in LOS. So lets say "its readily available", shall we? Oh I quoted you again

Edited by katabeachbum

It's pretty clear from the above post you've already made your decision, a powercomparison is not going to change the picture markedly.

If an Airblade PGM-FI is too slow I can confidently assert you forget about the PCX and stick with the Elegance 135cc which is still probably the quickest of these bikes.

No, you are wrong, I have not made any decision on my next scooter. A powercomaprison in PCX favor could make me pay the 15-18k extra.

But since I have downsized my big bike to Ninja650, which is more a day to day riding bike than my 1800cc V-twin, I ll actuall have a look at the Suz Skydrive 125 injection as my local runaround. I already have a 125 Step here and its faster off the line than Yammy E 135.

Or just refer back to my post #77 :)

Or just refer back to my post #77 :D

ok , you two yanks win, prefering assumption and faction over facts :):D

In the meanwhile I use my GF Airblade PGM-Fi, even if its slow and lazy

Time to take the Ninja 650 out for a spin before getting dinner anyway

Edited by katabeachbum

No, you are wrong, I have not made any decision on my next scooter. A powercomaprison in PCX favor could make me pay the 15-18k extra.

Trust me, you'll save the 15-18k

But since I have downsized my big bike to Ninja650, which is more a day to day riding bike than my 1800cc V-twin, I ll actuall have a look at the Suz Skydrive 125 injection as my local runaround. I already have a 125 Step here and its faster off the line than Yammy E 135.

Well I downsized from a Fireblade 954 so the speed of a 125 hardly does it for me either, however the PCX satisfies in other ways. If being fastest away from the lights is what excites you stick with the Step or Yammy 135 and save a few bucks.

Well I downsized from a Fireblade 954 so the speed of a 125 hardly does it for me either, however the PCX satisfies in other ways. If being fastest away from the lights is what excites you stick with the Step or Yammy 135 and save a few bucks.

I dont trust you :D

Step and Yammy 135 are rented out, thats why I need a new small runaround for myself

fastest off the lights with a 125-135 auto? :):D

have you already got a PCX, or are you just dreaming of downsizing?

Can't argue with that, you could save yourself 18k though !

fastest off the lights with a 125-135 auto? :D:D

Exactly, but your the one harping on about power comparison <deleted>

Refer to post #13, I even posted pics in posts #37 and #43 :)

btw. on the subject of assumptions, I'm not a Yank :D really I'm not !

Can't argue with that, you could save yourself 18k though !

fastest off the lights with a 125-135 auto? :D:D

Exactly, but your the one harping on about power comparison <deleted>

Bored to not be able to go up a hill with passanger with Airblade PGM-Fi when a Nouvo 135 or a 3 year old step can

Refer to post #13, I even posted pics in posts #37 and #43 :D

So your just defending your choise of scooter

btw. on the subject of assumptions, I'm not a Yank :D really I'm not !

me too :)

Bored to not be able to go up a hill with passanger with Airblade PGM-Fi when a Nouvo 135 or a 3 year old step can

Christ !! how big's your gf :D ?

Refer to post #13, I even posted pics in posts #37 and #43 :)
So your just defending your choise of scooter

I'm quite happy with my choice, however I thought I was answering a direct question whilst at the same time recognising the PCX is probably not right for you ?

What I like about the 125 PCXi is it has big tires which is what separates such bikes from cheaper motorbikes with their much skinnier tires and considerably less roadworthiness because of it. I liked the looks of the Air Blade with its fat tires. It looked much more like a real motorcycle than lesser machines next to it at the dealer's. It has 80 width tires in the front and 90's in the rear. The new PCXi goes it one better. Looking at a brochure now. Its tire specs read front---90/90-14 M/C 46 P. Rear 100/90-14 M/C 57 P. So you can get a 100 width rear tire. My 135 c.c. Elegance has a 70 width front tire and 80 in the rear and I'll be doing to a 90 rear tire when I change them and probably an 80 in front as I can go with either 70 or 80 front and 80/90 rear. However I have a 16 inch diameter wheel compared to the Honda's smaller 14 inch diameter for either the Air Blade or PCXi.

I think what we are seeing here is a convergence where the top of the line automatic motorbikes are starting to offer handling and stability more on a par with what larger motorcycles offer while offering all the advantages of a scooter. And if that gives me a better ride, better handling and a greater margin of safety I'll go with either a top of the line Honda, now the PCXi or the Yamaha 135 c.c. Elegance. Here's what I'm talking about. Check this out 1985 BMW K-100 RS The BMW has only a 100 width tire in front and a 130 width for the rear tire. In the picture note the tires are not nearly as humongorous as a lot of bikes I'm seeing in Pattaya now. But that bike felt awfully good at 100 miles an hour plus.15378_0_1_4_k%20100%20rs_Submitted%20by%20anonymous%20user..jpg