Honda Pcx

alexth

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm talking survivability as being primary. An automatic allows a man to concentrate 100 percent on his driving and not on his shifting.

Well this is where we differ totally.. I never need to conciously think about shifting, its all as automatic as walking.. Plus with a manual you have more control, engine braking, control over power delivery that simply isnt there with the on off power transition from freewheel to power on of an auto.

And in fact the Honda 125 c.c. Pxi is not going to be as good as my 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance either. Next to my Nouvo Elegance the Honda Pcx in the Jomtien Immigration parking area is very obviously in an entirely new category. Its got a bigger frame. It's got bigger tires. I'm sure it's got better shocks, and a 300 pound guy is going to no doubt like it better than my Nouvo Elegance. And if it had the horsepower I'm sure it could cruise comfortably at 70 miles an hour on a U.S. Interstate whereas the Wave wouldn't no matter what tires you put on it or how much horsepower its got.

For that matter my Nouvo Elegance won't do it either because it's just too small.

Why not ??? I can do 110 plus kph on a 10 year old 60,000 km cheer.. No problem at all..

And I thought we already established that it doesnt have bigger tyres.. Its still 14 inch wheels ??

I both agree and disagree about using the engine to brake. I once had a manual transmission Diesel Volkswagen Dasher which was basically an upgraded rabbit and was caught in a big snow storm on my way from Aspen, Colorado to Sun Valley, Idaho. And believe me I took full advantage of using my engine to brake and to control my rate of descent in those mountains. I shudder to think of having to have made do with an automatic. However, I keep qualifying a lot of what I am saying..."For Pattaya driving conditions". For the most part its flat here. Those were big steep mountains I was in while driving that Volkswagen and I was in the middle of a blizzard. Also, not too many people on that road then, but in Pattaya I want 100 percent of my concentration on my driving. Not 99 percent. Like you shifting is second nature for me after having something like 8 manual transmission motorcycles and driving manual cars for forty years but especially in a place like Pattaya that is congested by so many idiot drivers, the automatic still allows a man to focus at least a little more on his driving.

As for tire size I posted a query many months ago that went something like.."Is it better to have larger diameter tires or wider tires?" In this care the PCX has as you put it, only 14 inch wheels. The Nouvo has 16's. An Air Blade's stock tires are 10 mm wider than those on a Nouvo but its having a larger diameter tire means the Nouvo can put a longer patch on the ground versus the Air Blades wider contact area. But the Nouvo develops great centrifugal force due to its larger diameter wheels and this offers greater stability.

Going still one step still further for 125 c.c. bikes, the Yamaha Xmax has something like a 130 width rear tire. Its gas tank holds 11.2 liters of fuel versus the Air Blades 4.0, Elegance's 4.8 and the Pcx's 6.2 liters. Fully fueled and oiled the Xmax weighs a full 366 pounds. It's not being offered in Thailand, at least not yet. Nevertheless it does illustrate this trend to greater size for small displacement scooters.

So what's ideal? Once again it depends first where one is doing most of his riding and then on a number of other factors.

Edited by jackcorbett

i nearly gave in and traded in my Airblade PGM for one but I haven't, main reason is because it doesn't have the dual braking system, missed a trick there Honda as that is a mega safety feature IMO.

:)

pcx prestige comes with the left hand side handle combibrake as standard, and its better than airblades cause of the 3pot front caliper

well wonders will never cease, seems we agree Kata.

But to elaborate a little further. Pulling the left brake lever on the PCX actuates the rear brake and the single centre pot of the front caliper. Pulling the right lever(front brake) actuates the two outside pots of the front caliper and the rear brake. Pulling both brake levers similtanously will use all three pots of the front caliper and the rear brake.

Well I for one will down at my Honda dealer in Kamala first thing in the morning to buy my PCX, can't wait. Had to look through the window of my CLOSED dealer today like a small boy looking through the toy shop window.....!

Good choice :) , I don't think you'll regret it, I'm very happy with mine. But be sure to post back you're impressions of the bike.

well wonders will never cease, seems we agree Kata.

But to elaborate a little further. Pulling the left brake lever on the PCX actuates the rear brake and the single centre pot of the front caliper. Pulling the right lever(front brake) actuates the two outside pots of the front caliper and the rear brake. Pulling both brake levers similtanously will use all three pots of the front caliper and the rear brake.

hey Scuddy, I like wonders :)

The good thing with the pcx, its possible to disconnect the rear brake from the right handle to obtain better braking control/feel by using front disc only.

It seems like you v found some interesting hp/kw info too, but your hp figure does not match the kw figure. If the kw figure is correct, Elegance will still be more powerful, if hp is correct pcx is the more powerful.

Is there still not any pcx riders who will let us know how it performs compared with Suzuki injection and Elegance?

I'll wager that there will be no discernible difference in pickup between a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance and the new Honda PCXi but if one races ten pairs of bikes the Yamaha will come out slightly ahead. The main difference will be between the feel of the bikes with a standard PCXi feeling heavier, offering a better ride, but due to its weight and greater width less agile. When Honda first came out with its Air Blade due to its having water cooling and Yamaha not, Honda could have offered more horsepower than its rival. Instead it claimed its Air Blade was the fastest of the 125 c.c. class of automatics. NOT TRUE. Once again in the book I looked at in the Honda dealership Honda had a drawing of a Nouvo Elegance going up against the new PCXi. The Honda had traveled 20 meters whereas the Yamaha had gone around 19.5 meters giving a 3 % edge to Honda. I don' t think 3 % is statistically significant and that Honda cherry picked the bikes in their test. In the real world once again I think Yamaha Elegance will once again best the Honda by a slight margin but either way, both bikes are very fine machines, and choosing between the two will be like choosing between vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

Power Comparison - Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135 vs Honda PCXi 125

Nouvo (Carburettor)

132.6cc

11.2PS@8500rpm

8.4KW

10.60Nm@6500rpm

111kg (dry weight)

4.8L (fuel capacity)

PCXi (Fuel Injection)

124.9cc

13.5PS@9000rpm

9.5Kw

11.10Nm@7000rpm

125kg(dry weight)

6.2L(fuel capacity)

Up to you to decide which one is better in the real world.

I can give you facts and figures, prefer not to express an opinion.

Edited by Scuddy

Power Comparison - Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135 vs Honda PCXi 125

Nouvo (Carburettor)

132.6cc

11.2PS@8500rpm

8.4KW

10.60Nm@6500rpm

111kg (dry weight)

4.8L (fuel capacity)

PCXi (Fuel Injection)

124.9cc

13.5PS@9000rpm

9.5Kw

11.10Nm@7000rpm

125kg(dry weight)

6.2L(fuel capacity)

Up to you to decide which one is better in the real world.

I can give you facts and figures, prefer not to express an opinion.

Brilliant Scuddy. They seem to be rather equal. The higher rpm powerband for pcx does not have to be a disadvantage since the cvt most of the time allows it to work in the higher powerband. Here in Phuket the problem is Honda wants 73k ++ for the pcx, they r not gready at all :)

Picked up mine this morning, love it. V stable and corners well. The combo break is a winner too, the idle stop feature just confuses everyone else at the lights, V funny. They think I have stalled. The only surprise was that I eventually went for the gold colour, thought the black looked strange with the brown seats and trim....

Something wrong here. 9.5 kW is not the same as 13.5 PS.

9.5 kW = 12.74 hp = 12.92 PS

13.5 PS = 9.93 kW = 13.32 hp

So, if we substitute 12.74 horsepower for 13,5 in the spreadsheet we come up with this. new power to weight projections If we use 12.92 still another number but nowhere near the 12 percent increase showed in the first spreadsheet.

i nearly gave in and traded in my Airblade PGM for one but I haven't, main reason is because it doesn't have the dual braking system, missed a trick there Honda as that is a mega safety feature IMO.

:)

I have a Click, Airblade and PCX. The PCX has a dual brake sticker on it, though l have not looked at the mechanicals, and 3 pot caliper front disc brake. The PCX far out performs the other bikes when braking hard. Honda have done their homework, it's a great bike. The other bikes are do not compare in all departments.

Have a Click and a Wave and have also ridden Airblades and have to agree these do not compare, the PCX is superior in all departments.

I got my PCXi on Dec 08th for 70,000 + 1,000 prb in Phuket City and drove 750 kms so far.

I really enjoy every second on it. To me it's far better than an Air Blade PGMi and a Nouvo MX. Never tried an Elegance though.

Me too, I've done 1200kms since Dec 1st, it's a far better all round machine than the Airblade.

I'll wager that there will be no discernible difference in pickup between a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance and the new Honda PCXi but if one races ten pairs of bikes the Yamaha will come out slightly ahead. The main difference will be between the feel of the bikes with a standard PCXi feeling heavier, offering a better ride, but due to its weight and greater width less agile. When Honda first came out with its Air Blade due to its having water cooling and Yamaha not, Honda could have offered more horsepower than its rival. Instead it claimed its Air Blade was the fastest of the 125 c.c. class of automatics. NOT TRUE. Once again in the book I looked at in the Honda dealership Honda had a drawing of a Nouvo Elegance going up against the new PCXi. The Honda had traveled 20 meters whereas the Yamaha had gone around 19.5 meters giving a 3 % edge to Honda. I don' t think 3 % is statistically significant and that Honda cherry picked the bikes in their test. In the real world once again I think Yamaha Elegance will once again best the Honda by a slight margin but either way, both bikes are very fine machines, and choosing between the two will be like choosing between vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

I think you're right about the performance in that there is little difference between the two but posters here seem to be getting bogged down in this comparison. You can't justify the PCX bike on performance alone, an Elegance costs 52k and a PCX 70k so Honda at least think the two are not direct competitors and other factors are at play here.

I would add the PCX may be slightly wider but in my experience is no less agile than a Click or Wave when slotting through traffic.

Picked up mine this morning, love it. V stable and corners well. The combo break is a winner too, the idle stop feature just confuses everyone else at the lights, V funny. They think I have stalled. The only surprise was that I eventually went for the gold colour, thought the black looked strange with the brown seats and trim....

Congratulations, similar first impressions to mine.

I tend to agree about the Black/Brown combination however the Black at least looks cool, I plan to remove the Brown and replace with Carbon Fibre and a new seat colour later.

I think you're right about the performance in that there is little difference between the two but posters here seem to be getting bogged down in this comparison. You can't justify the PCX bike on performance alone, an Elegance costs 52k and a PCX 70k so Honda at least think the two are not direct competitors and other factors are at play here.

I would add the PCX may be slightly wider but in my experience is no less agile than a Click or Wave when slotting through traffic.

Don't agree w 52k - 70k. For an Elegance w alloy rims you pay 60,900 in Phuket. Just checked 4 weeks ago.

Frank is right. (i did send you the correct details last week minus the KW)

Honda have rounded up to 13PS.

13PS/9.5KW@9000rpm

My appologies, i need to learn to read.

It was a fax to the shop from Honda Thailand after we requested the power outputs for the PCXi. Then translated from thai to english for my benefit.

Edited by Scuddy

Don't agree w 52k - 70k. For an Elegance w alloy rims you pay 60,900 in Phuket. Just checked 4 weeks ago.

Elegance w alloys/tubeless is 59k all included, except 200 baht for deposit red plates, Phuket Town main dealer.

Been quoted 73k ++ in Chalong for PCX, but will take my Ninja 650 for a spin to town today to see if they want to sell at 70k.

Edited by katabeachbum

I must admit I didn't really check as I was not interested in an Elegance, I was using the numbers thrown at me by other posters here.

I would still assert the two are not really direct competitors, as opposed to the Airblade v Elegance. At the price differential you indicate the advantage the PCX offers is even greater.

Elegance w alloys/tubeless is 59k all included, except 200 baht for deposit red plates, Phuket Town main dealer.

Been quoted 73k ++ in Chalong for PCX, but will take my Ninja 650 for a spin to town today to see if they want to sell at 70k.

I paid 71k on the road here in KK with a pukka helmet

Frank is right. (i did send you the correct details last week minus the KW)

Honda have rounded up to 13PS.

13PS/9.5KW@9000rpm

My appologies, i need to learn to read.

It was a fax to the shop from Honda Thailand after we requested the power outputs for the PCXi. Then translated from thai to english for my benefit.

Now it matches! Thanks Scuddy

Hi KTBbum,

agree that Siriyarnyorn in Chalong, Patong and Town charge 73k. The shop Sin Hong Swee near the clock tower in town sells for 70k + 1k for prb, thai helmet and jacket included. Optional theft insurance 1st year = 100% for 1,200, 2nd year = 80% (or was it 75%) for 800.

Checked elegance in one shop only which apparently wanted to make 2k extra profit.

http://phuketdir.com/sinhongswee/

Good luck!

Edited by FrankHKT

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Click, Airblade and PCX. The PCX has a dual brake sticker on it, though l have not looked at the mechanicals, and 3 pot caliper front disc brake. The PCX far out performs the other bikes when braking hard. Honda have done their homework, it's a great bike. The other bikes are do not compare in all departments.

You're right. The PCX is about the ugliest scooter I've ever seen. It will also scratch up quickly and start to show its age very early on. My Airblade is over 2 years old and still looks brand new. The PCX will not be so lucky.