Honda Pcx

alexth

I already like the styling from the pix only - sufficiently futuristic, yet cute.

Thanks for the explanation with the low friction starter - very cool indeed. And quiet, I'd think. I'd probably buy it just for that. Not because I will save money 2 years down the road, but because I like high tech. It's about time they made a new engine.

If you want to save every last baht, buy a 5 year old Honda Wave 125i. Will last forever, good fuel economy, and cheap. In fact, I might have one for sale soon :)

Who buys a motorbike on price only, or any vehicle?

I've owned a Honda Wave 125 too. Hated it!

I always wondered why any Farang would buy a clunky geared bike when smooth automatics are in abundance?

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Click, Airblade and PCX. The PCX has a dual brake sticker on it, though l have not looked at the mechanicals, and 3 pot caliper front disc brake. The PCX far out performs the other bikes when braking hard. Honda have done their homework, it's a great bike. The other bikes are do not compare in all departments.

You're right. The PCX is about the ugliest scooter I've ever seen. It will also scratch up quickly and start to show its age very early on. My Airblade is over 2 years old and still looks brand new. The PCX will not be so lucky.

Tropo,

I appreciate the PCX is not your cup of tea but to be 'the ugliest scooter I've ever seen' while at the same time 'bland' is not possible by definition.

I would agree that the Airblade (my choice till I saw the PCX) is probably still the best looking small automatic bike, but in all other areas the PCX is a far better all round bike as it well should be for the extra money!

Time will tell how the bodywork wears but I don't see why it shouldn't wear as well as any other plastic bodied bike.

Tropo,

I appreciate the PCX is not your cup of tea but to be 'the ugliest scooter I've ever seen' while at the same time 'bland' is not possible by definition.

I would agree that the Airblade (my choice till I saw the PCX) is probably still the best looking small automatic bike, but in all other areas the PCX is a far better all round bike as it well should be for the extra money!

Time will tell how the bodywork wears but I don't see why it shouldn't wear as well as any other plastic bodied bike.

Why can't a bland bike be ugly?

Ok, perhaps it's an exaggeration that it's the ugliest scooter I've ever seen, but amongst the common scooters in Pattaya I think it is.

The bodywork will wear quickly for 2 reasons:

1. The plastic molding flows in a large surface area over the whole length of the bike in contrast to the "bits and pieces" design of most other small scooters. You just don't notice scratches on my red AirBlade. You'll notice every scratch on the new PCX. There's no stickers either so that'll make them more obvious.

2. It's a lot bulkier to park in busy bike parking areas where everyone moves bikes around to get their own in. It'll get knocked around more in these areas than your standard size scooter. Being heavier won't help either as guys try to shuffle it around.

Tropo,

Why can't a bland bike be ugly? The colours are bland, the design is ugly. Does anyone really dig the handlebars?

Ok, perhaps it's an exaggeration that it's the ugliest scooter I've ever seen, but amongst the common scooters in Pattaya I think it is.

The bodywork will wear quickly for 2 reasons:

1. The plastic molding flows in a large surface area over the whole length of the bike in contrast to the "bits and pieces" design of most other small scooters. You just don't notice scratches on my red AirBlade. You'll notice every scratch on the new PCX. There's no stickers either so that'll make them more obvious.

2. It's a lot bulkier to park in busy bike parking areas where everyone moves bikes around to get their own in. It'll get knocked around more in these areas than your standard size scooter. Being heavier won't help either as guys try to shuffle it around.

No way it can't be uglier than a Honda Wave or most of the Suzuki, Kawasaki or those JRD grotesque bikes. Personally, I like the PCX, even though I've never drove one, but that's another story

Why can't a bland bike be ugly? The colours are bland, the design is ugly. Does anyone really dig the handlebars?

Because that's not what bland means, go check it's definition !

I suggest you get a new dictionary, because the word "bland" has more than one meaning. I'm not talking about food here.

I already explained what I meant. The colour scheme is bland (insipid, dull) and the overall design is ugly.

Of course I realise this all comes down to personal taste and the fact that you went out and bought one proves we'll never agree.

No way it can't be uglier than a Honda Wave or most of the Suzuki, Kawasaki or those JRD grotesque bikes. Personally, I like the PCX, even though I've never drove one, but that's another story

The Honda Wave and JRD are not pretty, but I'm referring to the current crop of automatic scooters.

The Honda Wave and JRD are not pretty, but I'm referring to the current crop of automatic scooters.

De gustibus non est disputandum, said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Style is less important to me than the facts that have been presented in this string, for which as a new member I’d like to thank all contributors. I have to decide what I want to buy soon, and this string has been very informative. :)

I recognize that all things represent compromises and I’m struggling with my preferences. For example, I prefer in heavy traffic to have a clutch or an automatic. Somehow I can’t get from 4th to 2nd gear fast enough to suit some instant challenges – and I’ve ridden them all. Maybe that’s my problem, unlearning bigger bikes. But a clutch is not likely in a suitable (basically) town bike for me here, and an automatic does not help descending hills. Yet I have to settle for automatic, that’s just me and trade-offs.

Here in CM, I’ve been given prices of 72,000 for the PCX in two places, both of which used a price sheet (and I was given a glossy brochure useful for some specs and a view of those 90/100 tires/tyres; mostly in Thai except for the models – what is Honda thinking?). Yammie folks suggest 59,500 on their signs for the alloy-wheel Elegant, which (big conference) they say is tubeless, and therefore better (one mechanic’s view). The mention of cash brought softening, but I’m not ready yet to go for hard bargaining, as I’ve got to travel outside Thailand a lot until May.

I was glad to see the HP question raised and resolved. To a degree, it advances the PCX case, what with its increased weight. Incidentally, the Honda can take the E20 fuel, cheaper yet, if one decides to use it and finds it at the two outfits that sell it. I didn’t think to ask about the Elegant and may have missed mention of it above.

Driving in France for two years, I was held beneath 125 cc by a driver’s license rule that also mandated under 15 HP. Darned if Vespa and Honda (Dylan, my favorite there) did not challenge the maximum at 14 or 14.something – and that was 6 years ago. Seems to me that Yamaha could do that easily with a 135 and fuel injection.

De gustibus non est disputandum, said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Style is less important to me than the facts that have been presented in this string, for which as a new member I'd like to thank all contributors. I have to decide what I want to buy soon, and this string has been very informative. :)

I recognize that all things represent compromises and I'm struggling with my preferences. For example, I prefer in heavy traffic to have a clutch or an automatic. Somehow I can't get from 4th to 2nd gear fast enough to suit some instant challenges – and I've ridden them all. Maybe that's my problem, unlearning bigger bikes. But a clutch is not likely in a suitable (basically) town bike for me here, and an automatic does not help descending hills. Yet I have to settle for automatic, that's just me and trade-offs.

Here in CM, I've been given prices of 72,000 for the PCX in two places, both of which used a price sheet (and I was given a glossy brochure useful for some specs and a view of those 90/100 tires/tyres; mostly in Thai except for the models – what is Honda thinking?). Yammie folks suggest 59,500 on their signs for the alloy-wheel Elegant, which (big conference) they say is tubeless, and therefore better (one mechanic's view). The mention of cash brought softening, but I'm not ready yet to go for hard bargaining, as I've got to travel outside Thailand a lot until May.

I was glad to see the HP question raised and resolved. To a degree, it advances the PCX case, what with its increased weight. Incidentally, the Honda can take the E20 fuel, cheaper yet, if one decides to use it and finds it at the two outfits that sell it. I didn't think to ask about the Elegant and may have missed mention of it above.

Driving in France for two years, I was held beneath 125 cc by a driver's license rule that also mandated under 15 HP. Darned if Vespa and Honda (Dylan, my favorite there) did not challenge the maximum at 14 or 14.something – and that was 6 years ago. Seems to me that Yamaha could do that easily with a 135 and fuel injection.

No question tubeless tyres on Elegance is better. oneandhalf year now without a flat, compared to Elegance with tubes and the other scooters around here with the occasional flat tyre.

Elegance does not like E20, but whats the point? Less power and fractionalsaving on price.

I bought one six weeks ago. Only covered 300k on it mostly around Pattaya and Jomtien. So far I have found it a good all round machine and have no gripes with it so far. Went for a blast down the Sukumvit Road to the flaoting water market. Took it up to 100KMH and was stable. Some power still in hand. So for touring if you don't want to do 120 + and content with 80-100KMH it's fine.

The engine is that quiet it is unbelievable. One point of concern I found was once I picked it up I filled the tank to the brim. I completed about 125 KM and the gauge was about 4 nodges of the 9 down. I suspected gauge innacuracy. Went to fill up and took 2.8 litres. Works out at 44.6 KM/L. Was gobsmacked. The gauge is accurate.

One bone of contention is that the rear shock absorboers are none adjustable. If I get some lardarse on the back I will be lighting up the sky at night. The lights are fantastic of a night. The alarm is a comforting factor.

It would be hard to compare this bike with the elegance as it is the next generation of scooter. Perhaps not to everyones taste but it's up to the individual. Overall with the underseat storage. Better with a top box. I think the extra is worth it. I did expect a better power output from the engine from a modern 125cc injected engine. I am sure there will be after-market additions available shortly.

I rented a Nouvo for 30 days last year. I found it a really excellent scooter and the best on the market at the time. I would have bought one. It's getting a bit dated now. When Yamaha inject it and some other mods I think they will give the Honda a run for their money. The light on the Nouvo are attrocious for night time riding.

As for nippin in and out of traffic. I ridden a bike in Central London for 5 years. That's the only way to get around with any speed. Same in Pattaya.

Overall I think the Honda was a good purchase and would recommend it. Found it just as practicle as the Nouvo and worth the extra expense. As I do more mileage as I do tend to do lots I will post further with any faults or improvements I have found. I will be doing alot of highway KM's as I like to go to the Tiger Park in Sri Racha alot and such places. Will be looking for a set of adjustable shocks for the back and top box to put me shoppin in.

Good biking and ride safely.

ge4638975665243176473.jpg

Xmax for sale. Xmax And here's two videos.

video 2There's a 125 cc. model that supposedly has 15 horsepower and a 250. And here's another link. Xmax since 2005

And as far as Yamaha having fuel injection or not in such bikes another Xmax site with lots of pictures and a slide show. Like I've said here before both Yamaha and Honda have motorbikes available elsewhere that we have never thought of before. So to say that either Honda or Yamaha is way ahead of the other company is just not accurate. I do note a trend here. In terms of tire size and weight "scooters" are getting to be more and more like motorcycles. This means more comfortable, safer and more capable than ever before. Check out that over 3 gallon fuel tank on the X Max and check out how wide its tires are. The 250 model has over 20 horsepower and weighs in at around 366 pounds.

Edited by jackcorbett

video 2There's a 125 cc. model that supposedly has 15 horsepower and a 250. And here's another link. Xmax since 2005

And as far as Yamaha having fuel injection or not in such bikes another Xmax site with lots of pictures and a slide show. Like I've said here before both Yamaha and Honda have motorbikes available elsewhere that we have never thought of before. So to say that either Honda or Yamaha is way ahead of the other company is just not accurate. I do note a trend here. In terms of tire size and weight "scooters" are getting to be more and more like motorcycles. This means more comfortable, safer and more capable than ever before. Check out that over 3 gallon fuel tank on the X Max and check out how wide its tires are. The 250 model has over 20 horsepower and weighs in at around 366 pounds.

Yamaha is way ahead on auto bikes.

Nouvo years before any Honda +100cc auto.

TMax 500 auto as model is like 8 years now. Hondas big auto was realesed last year

Yammy is racing a 1000cc auto.

Unfortunately both Honda and Yammy in LOS dont see the market for +135cc autos, yet. Except Yammys Tmax 500 auto at 555k baht, which they have sold a lot of past 2 years.

Yamaha is way ahead on auto bikes.

Nouvo years before any Honda +100cc auto.

TMax 500 auto as model is like 8 years now. Hondas big auto was realesed last year

Yammy is racing a 1000cc auto.

I agree with you that Yamaha is ahead of Honda. And for this reason---it has to be. I don't think anyone here can question Honda's expertise and qualitative excellence. However, Honda's reputation although started with motorbikes back in the 1960's has been maintained by its excellent cars. Since Honda is such a huge player in the car market, it's got a huge advantage over Yamaha for its brand because of what it's doing with its automobiles. Although Yamaha also manufactures Wave Runners, outboard motors and other products it does not enjoy this advantage possessed by Honda because its a major player in the car industry. Therefore to stay anywhere close to Honda in motorcycles and scooters it has to be the more innovative, aggressive player.

Still, one has to wonder why Honda did not introduce the Honda 150 SHi this write rates at 15.5 crank horsepower It's available in Europe, it's being sold in the U.S. now and I saw one in Vietnam.

Unfortunately both Honda and Yammy in LOS dont see the market for +135cc autos, yet. Except Yammys Tmax 500 auto at 555k baht, which they have sold a lot of past 2 years.

Incidentally although Yamaha has had its 500 c.c. TMax out for years, Honda's also had its Silver Wing which has 587 cc's. BUt the T Max weights around 460 pounds. The Silver Wing comes in at a whopping 80 pounds heavier at 540 pounds. I think the Tmax is by far the prettier more svelte machine whereas the Silver Wing appears about as ungainly as the Lock Ness Monster. The Yamaha Xmax has some pretty big tires on it along with a large fuel tank. In its 250 c.c. incarnaton it weighs around 360 pounds which is a lot more than a Nouvo Elegance but still 100 pounds less than the Tmax and 180 pounds less than the Honda Silver Wing.

But here's the dope on the Honda 300 Shi first review Honda 300 SHi Note how the driver accelerates easily up to 84 miles an hour then remarks how he wonders why it took this long for ANY MOTOR SCOOTER COMPANY TO TAKE THIS LONG TO GIVE US WHAT WE WANT.

Here's another review on the Honda 300 SHi Note some of the stats----279 cc's. 26.8 bhp, 162 kgs. Top speed 100 miles an hour. This is not a Silver Wing lead balloon at 540 pounds and it's not a Tmax at 460 pounds. It's about the same weight as the Yamaha Xmax 250 but it has around 6 more horsepower. Would I prefer this to the Ninja 250? I sure would. I'd even prefer it to the 650 Kawasaki ER6n. These things (whether made by Yamaha or Honda) are the absolute cutting edge of today's technology and we are only seeing the tip of the ice berg if we judge what either Honda or Yamaha is doing by what they are presently offering in Thailand. And as far as the vaunted advantages of fuel injection, this is not a Honda exclusive.

Edited by jackcorbett

I bought a PCX two weeks ago and have to say I am very impressed. For those who do not like it's appearance well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have received many compliments about it both from expats and Thais. I had been driving a 3 month old Wave and it's night and day better.

I do have a question. As the motor shuts down during the idle stop the lights remain on which of course is logical particularly at night but what affect will this have on the life of the battery? Sometimes I'm stopped for several minutes at certain intersections. I know battery technology like everything else is improving but was just curious to know if the battery fully recharges as you are driving?

I bought one six weeks ago. Only covered 300k on it mostly around Pattaya and Jomtien. So far I have found it a good all round machine and have no gripes with it so far. Went for a blast down the Sukumvit Road to the flaoting water market. Took it up to 100KMH and was stable. Some power still in hand. So for touring if you don't want to do 120 + and content with 80-100KMH it's fine.

The engine is that quiet it is unbelievable. One point of concern I found was once I picked it up I filled the tank to the brim. I completed about 125 KM and the gauge was about 4 nodges of the 9 down. I suspected gauge innacuracy. Went to fill up and took 2.8 litres. Works out at 44.6 KM/L. Was gobsmacked. The gauge is accurate.

One bone of contention is that the rear shock absorboers are none adjustable. If I get some lardarse on the back I will be lighting up the sky at night. The lights are fantastic of a night. The alarm is a comforting factor.

It would be hard to compare this bike with the elegance as it is the next generation of scooter. Perhaps not to everyones taste but it's up to the individual. Overall with the underseat storage. Better with a top box. I think the extra is worth it. I did expect a better power output from the engine from a modern 125cc injected engine. I am sure there will be after-market additions available shortly.

I rented a Nouvo for 30 days last year. I found it a really excellent scooter and the best on the market at the time. I would have bought one. It's getting a bit dated now. When Yamaha inject it and some other mods I think they will give the Honda a run for their money. The light on the Nouvo are attrocious for night time riding.

As for nippin in and out of traffic. I ridden a bike in Central London for 5 years. That's the only way to get around with any speed. Same in Pattaya.

Overall I think the Honda was a good purchase and would recommend it. Found it just as practicle as the Nouvo and worth the extra expense. As I do more mileage as I do tend to do lots I will post further with any faults or improvements I have found. I will be doing alot of highway KM's as I like to go to the Tiger Park in Sri Racha alot and such places. Will be looking for a set of adjustable shocks for the back and top box to put me shoppin in.

Good biking and ride safely.

Great to hear some feedback from someone with first hand experience of the bike. I agree with pretty much all you've said and am also very happy I went for the PCX over the Airblade. I too think it's a new generation bike and there's nothing that compares in the current Thai market for a small automatic. I've done over 1600kms in 6 weeks and the fuel economy seems excellent and the comfort and stability far better than any other small bike.

How do feel the bike compares in traffic to a Nouvo ? A lot of posters here seem to think it's too bulky and wide to use in traffic ?

I bought a PCX two weeks ago and have to say I am very impressed. For those who do not like it's appearance well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have received many compliments about it both from expats and Thais. I had been driving a 3 month old Wave and it's night and day better.

Congratulations, good choice I too receive a lot of compliments and yes it's night and day !

I do have a question. As the motor shuts down during the idle stop the lights remain on which of course is logical particularly at night but what affect will this have on the life of the battery? Sometimes I'm stopped for several minutes at certain intersections. I know battery technology like everything else is improving but was just curious to know if the battery fully recharges as you are driving?

The battery will recharge as you drive but I'm sure the lights on at idle stop has an effect on battery life. However the engine also starts a lot more easily with less battery drain than a normal engine, so how much effect we'll have to wait and see ?

Edited by b19bry

I too have just bought one and still have my Elegance... and I have to say much the same as the others who have bought one. The bike is very smooth to ride and the brakes and lights are execelent. I do not find it that much bigger to " throw " about but as I have had it only a couple of days i am still getting used to it. One thing I do find a bit " different " is the small back rest on the seat which makes me sit more in a upright position... It can be removed but I am letting it be for the time being as I am tending to slouch a lot since i come to live here and wake up with a sore back most mornings maybe this might help it a bit ..either that or am am going to get a better seat at my bar !.

Anyway I just thought I would add my twoppence worth ...

Ps one thing please be careful present owners ..the black plastic front above the headlight is very easy scratched..as I was cleaning mine with a cloth which must of had small particles of dirt and have caused a few " ring marks " on my new bike. ! best use a new soft cloth.

post-39699-1263775703_thumb.jpg

Edited by irisheyes

Would I be correct in thinking of a Suzuki Hayate as a poor man's Elegance? Carb, 16" wheels, big "U" box, but only 125cc?

Recognize this is "off topic" but gather there's huge knowledge here.

That is up to you, and I'm sure the Suzuki Hayake is a fine machine and cheaper than the Elegance. However, when friend of mine got one and this was before I got my Elegance, I noticed that it was a dead ringer for my 115 c.c. Yamaha MX. Same wheel and tire size. Same length and height and overall design. Same storage compartment under the seat. All same same even down to the twin miniature storage compartments in front of the seat. I drove it and it seemed no faster than my 115 c.c. Nouvo although to be fair it was not broken in whereas my Nouvo was. It seems a bit smaller than my new Nouvo 135 c.c. Elegance and definitely seems to be plain jane in appearance in comparison. Also.....even when it was not broken in that 135 c.c. engine of my Elegance seemed a lot stronger than the 115 c.c. engine in my old MX. For me it's a cheap copy of the Nouvo MX, but what I mean by cheap does not mean of inferior quality. However I don't see any innovation here. The innovation was bought and paid for by Yamaha while Suzuki parasitically just latched on for a free ride.

Edited by jackcorbett

I too have just bought one and still have my Elegance... and I have to say much the same as the others who have bought one. The bike is very smooth to ride and the brakes and lights are execelent. I do not find it that much bigger to " throw " about but as I have had it only a couple of days i am still getting used to it. One thing I do find a bit " different " is the small back rest on the seat which makes me sit more in a upright position... It can be removed but I am letting it be for the time being as I am tending to slouch a lot since i come to live here and wake up with a sore back most mornings maybe this might help it a bit ..either that or am am going to get a better seat at my bar !.

Anyway I just thought I would add my twoppence worth ...

And why not ? It's great to get some more feedback from another that's experienced the PCX. In light of the fact that so many here rave about the Elegance, how do you (as an owner of both), see the two compare ? On the strength of the many posts on this forum I checked it out at a Yammy dealer but took one look and decided it wasn't for me, they're two different class of bike ?

Ps one thing please be careful present owners ..the black plastic front above the headlight is very easy scratched..as I was cleaning mine with a cloth which must of had small particles of dirt and have caused a few " ring marks " on my new bike. ! best use a new soft cloth.

I have a black version and yeah you're right, it doesn't seem to have the same gloss finish as the rest of the bike ?

How do feel the bike compares in traffic to a Nouvo ? A lot of posters here seem to think it's too bulky and wide to use in traffic ?

A lot of posters didn't think it's too bulky to use in traffic. The point was that is isn't as good in traffic, not that it cannot be used in traffic.

The main point is that it is too big for such a small engine. It's pretending to be bigger than it is. All bulk without any benefit.

A lot of posters didn't think it's too bulky to use in traffic. The point was that is isn't as good in traffic, not that it cannot be used in traffic.

The main point is that it is too big for such a small engine. It's pretending to be bigger than it is. All bulk without any benefit.

I both agree with you and disagree with you. I sat on that Honda PCXi several times yesterday and I climbed under it. I have no doubt I could handle it very well in city traffic here in Pattaya. But it's not going to be quite as easy to do as it is with my Yamaha Nouvo. The Yamaha Nouvo Elegance has a dry weight of 111 kg. Nouvo 113 c.c. MX and Nouvo Elegance 135 c.c. specs The 113 c.c. Nouvo MX is considerably lighter. Now check the specs on the latest and greatest 125 c.c. Honda Wave Honda fuel injected 125 c.c. Wave specs It's dry weight is 100.4 kilograms. The Honda PCXi 125 outweighs the Elegance by about 20 kilos. So we have an increase of only 11 kilos going from the Wave to the Elegance but we are going up another 20 kilos to the Honda PCXi from the Elegance. In my opinion there's hardly any difference in the agility between the Nouvo Elegance and the Honda Wave 125 and in fact the Elegance might be even more agile because most Waves are going to have a basket mounted smack on front of the front tire and that's going to make this bike feel a lot heavier to steer than an Nouvo when you put things under the Nouvo seat or the Honda Wave front basket. Still at just 260 pounds or so, that Honda 125 PCXi will still feel pretty light. A 350 CB Honda back in 1973 weighed about 350 pounds and it was not a big bike. There's always a tradeoff........because of its much wider tires the PCXi will be more stable on Sukamvit Road but it's not going to be quite as easy to squirm through traffic as with my Nouvo although it might outdo a Wave if you put anything in the Wave's front basket.

But take a look at the horsepower figures. The Yamaha 113 c.c. MX produces 8.9 P.S. and 8.63 ng of torque. The Wave produced just 9.3 horsepower P.S. and 1.03 ng of torque. But it had 12 cubic centimeters more to start with. But along comes the Nouvo 135 c.c. Elegance which actually has a smidgen under 133 c.c.s or just 8 more than the Honda Wave 125. It produces 11.2 P.S. horsepower and has 10.6 ng torque. The Yamaha 135 c.c. Nouvo Elegance absolutely slaughters the Honda Wave 125 by producing 20 % more horsepower while using only 8 cc's more to do it.

But hold on, Honda's just come out with its miracle cure to successfully combat the bad boy Yamaha nemesis. It's got fuel injection. Wow. And not only has it got fuel injection it's got the unique never tried before Honda programmed fuel injection that will give 15 % better fuel economy than its predecessors offered. But did you check the horsepower figures in that Wikipedia link I supplied because I hope you did because the carbureator equipped Honda Wave 125 has 9.3 horsepower whereas the new super duper high performance fuel injected model gets just 9.18 horsepower.

But there's more. Oh yeah. Read on. How about a head to head performance race between the Honda Wave 125 S and the wondrous super high tech Honda Wave 125 S with the S standing for Superlative or in layman's terms fuel injection. the apples to apples standoff fuel injection vs carbureator.

Let me quote from this article "Better still is the improved fuel economy of the Honda Wave 125i. Side-by-side with his conventionally carburettor twin the Honda Wave 125S, which uses a regular standard carburettor, the Honda Wave 125i was regularly giving 3.3 kilometers more per 1 liter gasoline. Any improvements in performance, however, was slight. There really was nothing between the two in either midrange or top end, but the performance gain of the Honda Wave 125i in the low range is highly appreciated in Bangkok traffic where top speeds don't really matter."

Sure the low end advantage of the fuel injected Wave over the carb equipped 125 SS is appreciated since typical Bangkok street congested traffic moves at an average pace of 3 miles an hour.

But the improved fuel economy considering a base of 50 km/liter is 3.3/50 which equals an improvement of just 6.6 percent--not the 15 % Honda is claiming. Now let's figure in that the PCXi outweighs the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance by 40 pounds. It's got wider tires than the Nouvo which means greater rolling resistance. In fact if you look over the past thirty years different versions of small cars have been offered to the market that are billed as economy versions of that particular model of car. Invariably these special economy versions have narrower tires to give them a few more miles per gallon. So what I'm saying is that in the real world a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135 might actually offer even greater fuel economy than a 125 Honda PCXi even with its vaunted never seen before fuel injection and stop at the red light features. Yeah it gets 118 miles per gallon but I happen to know that it was my Aunt Matilda who did the actual fuel economy testing on the 125 PCX. First....she did the test at the 12,000 foot elevation of the Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado where the air resistance is a lot less. THen she took off a few heavy unnecessary items on the bike. Also, my Aunt Matilda only weighs 60 pounds.

Edited by jackcorbett

well put Jack. PCXi is not the way to save fuel. Increased weight, wide tyres, PMFi means fuelinjection WITHOUT sensors, IOW not adaptive.

The start and stop thing may save fuel, but battery costs will be higher.

But who cares about fuelconsumption on these bikes? They run almost for free

finally got to compare PCXi with Elegance 135cc up the Phuket hills. same same with 100kg riders, not different.

so basicly what you get for the extra money is more, nicely sculptured plastic panels. looks nice

In my opinion there's hardly any difference in the agility between the Nouvo Elegance and the Honda Wave 125 and in fact the Elegance might be even more agile because most Waves are going to have a basket mounted smack on front of the front tire and that's going to make this bike feel a lot heavier to steer than an Nouvo when you put things under the Nouvo seat or the Honda Wave front basket.

The Honda Wave has a big setback in moving around traffic. It has gears. That makes it clumsy in traffic compared to the automatics. The foot brake makes the comparison even worse.

Edited by tropo

The Honda Wave has a big setback in moving around traffic. It has gears. That makes it clumsy in traffic compared to the automatics. The foot brake makes the comparison even worse.

Not trying to be snide, but this is only a problem for absolute beginners. Changing gears and even using a clutch (on other bikes) becomes second nature and for many is actually part of the fun...

---

About the PCX, I was following one a few days ago (on my modified CBR150), and I really had to boot my bike to keep up with the guy (and he was a big Thai man). He leaned into fairly deep curves strongly and the bike looked stable as hel_l.

I was impressed.

I both agree with you and disagree with you. I sat on that Honda PCXi several times yesterday and I climbed under it. I have no doubt I could handle it very well in city traffic here in Pattaya. But it's not going to be quite as easy to do as it is with my Yamaha Nouvo.

There was one poster who said that he 'couldn't see it being able to cut through traffic' but ok let's rather say there were various posts that inferred that the PCX would be inferior in traffic, enough for it to be considered a reason not to buy the bike.

What I'm saying, after having ridden the bike for close on 1700kms, is that I find little difference between the PCX in this regard to the Click and Wave that I was riding and an Airblade that I tried. The main point is actually that the difference is marginal if any at all and certainly no reason to hold back in buying the bike.

well put Jack. PCXi is not the way to save fuel. Increased weight, wide tyres, PMFi means fuelinjection WITHOUT sensors, IOW not adaptive.

finally got to compare PCXi with Elegance 135cc up the Phuket hills. same same with 100kg riders, not different.

so basicly what you get for the extra money is more, nicely sculptured plastic panels. looks nice

I told you almost exactly 100 posts back to save the 15-18k and stick to the Elegance. From your previous comments it was obvious that the PCX was not for you. There's no doubt that some people will still prefer the Elegance and I'm sure it's a fine bike, just not to everyone's taste.

By the same token the PCX is not to everyone's taste but there are those who will be glad to pay a premium and who see the extra value in the PCX, which is more than merely 'nicely sculptured plastic panels'.

I told you almost exactly 100 posts back to save the 15-18k and stick to the Elegance. From your previous comments it was obvious that the PCX was not for you. There's no doubt that some people will still prefer the Elegance and I'm sure it's a fine bike, just not to everyone's taste.

By the same token the PCX is not to everyone's taste but there are those who will be glad to pay a premium and who see the extra value in the PCX, which is more than merely 'nicely sculptured plastic panels'.

b19bry, thanks for your advice, but I actually got a grey pcxi a week ago. Like the style and it feels smooth and heavy, but otherwice Elegance brakes and handles better. Idle stop is witched off most of the time to keep the battery alive.

The funny thing thai parking attendants allow this bike to park with the bigbikes, rather than the cramped small bike parking. :)

so far. dont know why, cause it aint bigger than Elegance, rather shorter I d say, beam is same.