Bar Closures For Kings Birthday

brandy

My experience of the King's birthday, Pattaya, is that the gogo's will be shut but the beer bars will be open serrupticiously (sp?). So there'll be no music nor obvious signs of libations being taken but you'll see plenty of folks driniing "tea" at the bars. Restaurants will not be serving alcohol and I doubt if any of the big supermarkets will sell it either. But you can always rely on the good old mom'n'pop stores to do the right thing..........with respect to their takings/profit :):D .

Sooner or later someone's going to post a "why can't you show respect and do without alcohol for a day?" reply and, in their own little way, they are correct even if they lack a life.

Unfortunately in this restrictive communist state we are left, as adults, to decide all these kinds of issues ourselves leaving the nanny states to look after the democrats.

.....Sooner or later someone's going to post a "why can't you show respect and do without alcohol for a day?" reply and, in their own little way, they are correct even if they lack a life.......

Or tell you to pack your bags and go home to your own country, if you don't like it. :)

Obey local laws...

If you don't like it...

Can't you go just ONE day without a beer Saddo...??

Yes indeed, all the old cliches come trotting out. However these are known as cliches because they are TRUE..!!

It's just for one day people, get over it!

Obey local laws... If you don't like it... Can't you go just ONE day without a beer Saddo...??

Yes indeed, all the old cliches come trotting out. However these are known as cliches because they are TRUE..!!

Not really sure why you feel the need to be so unpleasant.

Nobody has said that they cannot go one day without a drink, so I don't know why you mentioned that, Nobody has said that they don't want to obey local laws, so I don't know why you mentioned that either, I'm not really sure what there is to get over.

The original question was would bars be open?

I am a great respector of Thailand and it's laws and I certainly respect His Majesty the King, but I still really don't understand why the bars need to be closed to show respect, prehaps someone can enlighten me, without being unpleasant.

Obey local laws...

If you don't like it...

its not a local law its national. its not one day per year but quite a few. i fully respect the law and will not be going out that day for a drink but i know i will see plenty of Thais drinking beer on that day to celebrate. make me have more respect for their laws if they did. shop next to my house will be serving and Thais sat outside having a whisky or two. no harm but illegal. yes bars closed to answer OP question

I see the usual 'roaches have crawled out as predicted.

Just because anybody asks "will the bars be open" makes them a sicko. This attitude is rife within this website, anyone who doesn't live their life as I live mine is somekind of sub-species, an untermenschen.

<deleted> you!

A person may have a celebration, even a birthday, on the same day and may want to ask the question "Could I get a wine, or a beer, with my meal?". Sorry folks, such a question condemns you, and me, to life's trash can.

Fight on my friends, we have slowly been ridding the world of such people but the battle rages on.

Their great friend and mentor Duch is the latest to go the way of his peers.

Obey local laws...

If you don't like it...

You gotta be kidding, Thais break every law they can and in huge numbers if they think it doesnt harm anyone else , consuming alcohol in public or private on December 5th is top of the list.

My experience of the King's birthday, Pattaya, is that the gogo's will be shut but the beer bars will be open serrupticiously (sp?). So there'll be no music nor obvious signs of libations being taken but you'll see plenty of folks driniing "tea" at the bars. Restaurants will not be serving alcohol and I doubt if any of the big supermarkets will sell it either. But you can always rely on the good old mom'n'pop stores to do the right thing..........with respect to their takings/profit :):D .

Sooner or later someone's going to post a "why can't you show respect and do without alcohol for a day?" reply and, in their own little way, they are correct even if they lack a life.

Unfortunately in this restrictive communist state we are left, as adults, to decide all these kinds of issues ourselves leaving the nanny states to look after the democrats.

:D

The bars being "closed" for the King's birthday has been true in Thailand since I first went there in 1976. Nothig new about that.

And "Tea" or "Coca-Cola" being avaiable in paper cups has been around about the same length of time.

I don't personally care one way or the other...I stopped drnking heavily a good 20 years ago, when I realised I was nearing 40 and felt like I was 60.

Should have done it 10 years earlier.

But I still don't give a "hoot".

:D

I might be wrong but there was no closure last year? But maybe I am mixing up the days.

We should all accept this day, because it is an important one for Thailand. However I have some problems with the ban on election days, cause I can't vote....

Well i believe that most the bars in Queens Park Plaza, Sukhumvit Soi 22 are going to be open.......... How do i know?? I own one of them (MASH bar) :)

Just had the local BIB come around and we asked the questions and business as normal............. MASH Special offers for the Kings Birthday.......... Tequila 40 baht a shot all day/night.......... Chang and Tiger/Tiger light 60 baht all day/night............ Open from 2pm onwards.

FREE POOL ............ FREE DARTS.............. FREE shots during the evening.

• 9 years later...