Want To Study In Thailand

Lorin

Sorry to ask you guys question about studying and not teaching, but i think that is the most appropriate section. I'm thinking of getting bachelor degree in international business, what is the best place in Thailand to study? I prefer foreign teachers, the cost is less important. Thank you in advance for your input.

Best place in Thailand for business degrees is reportedly Sasin Institute at Chulalongorn University, Bangkok - but it's a graduate institute, so MBAs and up only:

http://www.sasin.edu/programs/index.html

Other than this, you could try bachelor business degrees (usually called 'BBAs') on the international programmes of these unis:

Thammasat Business School: http://interaffairs.tu.ac.th/interprogram.htm

MUIC (Mahidol U)

Bangkok U

Siam U

Khon Kaen U

IIS, Ramkhamhaeng U, Bangkok

Google the others.

Edited by paully

Thank you for your reply, I heard of Sasin, but its too early for me, bachelor first...:-) Actually i was looking for more "inside" information about places to study, instead of a list of the local unis, that i can gather myself.

Best place in Thailand for business degrees is reportedly Sasin Institute at Chulalongorn University, Bangkok - but it's a graduate institute, so MBAs and up only:

http://www.sasin.edu/programs/index.html

Other than this, you could try bachelor business degrees (usually called 'BBAs') on the international programmes of these unis:

Thammasat Business School: http://interaffairs.tu.ac.th/interprogram.htm

MUIC (Mahidol U)

Bangkok U

Siam U

Khon Kaen U

IIS, Ramkhamhaeng U, Bangkok

Google the others.

I think you may have to be a little more specific about what you mean by 'inside' information. Are you wanting information about the city where the Universities are located? Campus life? Outside activities?

Universities in Thailand are a little different than those in the states. There are groups and organizations, but I don't think they make up the core of the university population. A great number of students live at home with their family and thus socialize a little less with the University crowd.

I lived for a couple of years in an apartment that was next to a major University. The majority of the the occupants were University students. There were about 4 to 6 to a room (1 room with a bathroom and small balcony). There were a lot of eating places in the area--off campus--and that's where they ate. The males were on one floor and the female students were on a different floor. There wasn't any supervision, per se, so I am guessing it was just a 'Thai thing'. None of them had a car that I know of, at least I never saw any of them driving and the cars in the parking area were all people who worked.

There was very little 'partying' going on. They seemed to enjoy sitting in their room with friends and playing guitar and listening to music--rather loud music, I might add. Seldom, if ever, did I see alcohol on the premises. Occasionally there would be a rambunctious student whom I presume was drunk. When they weren't in the immediate vicinity of the school, they were gone to visit their family.

They spent more time studying--or looking like they were studying--than did students from other countries. They had a number of projects to do which were often done in the hallway, such as building bridges out match sticks (engineering students) etc.

Basically, they were nicer than US college students, but I don't think it would have been easy to get into the social structure that seemed very cliquish. You nearly always saw the same students together and seldom was there a new addition to the group.

Oh, I forgot to add that there are a number of overseas Universities which have programs here. I know Webster University has a campus and I've seen posters for other schools. You might want to check those out as well, since they may have a more 'international' flavor and a more cohesive student body.

Here is a link to another topic that may get closed. It gives a different perspective on University life. I don't necessarily agree with it and it doesn't fit with what I have seen, but if it's information you want:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/University-V...ce-t318342.html

Violence is common among the technical schools. I haven't heard much about it at the University level.

For BBA, there are only a few that you should probably consider. Chulalongkorn, Mahidol and Thammasat Universities. You can easily search their websites for faculty in their international programs. I would add Assumption University to the list, but you said you prefer foreign teachers, so you are better off with the government's top three (assuming they have bigger percentage of foreign lecturers, not sure though). Investigate what courses they offer and how established the program is. You will make the right choice for yourself.

There is no violence amongst BBA students for sure :)

Edited by heykki

I'm not concerned about students and what they do in their time, i'm 10 years older than most of them and I will be hardly interact with em except the classes. By inside info I mean teachers, professors etc, programs. All those are really important for me.

^ I think you're going to find it very difficult to find out that sort of 'inside' information about international programmes in Thailand.

Firstly, there's no equivalent of an independent 'Good Universities Guide' with info, stats and feedback (as there is in the UK, for example). Furthermore, lecturers and students on those Thai uni international programmes don't tend to appear on here very often, for the reason that most students are non-Western - Thai or Chinese usually - and this is predominantly a forum for westerners living in Thailand; also most international programme lecturers are 'guest' lecturers, that is they fly over from The US, UK or Europe for a couple of weeks of intense teaching and then fly back to their normal 'real' lecturing jobs back home and so have no reason to linger on a forum like this. You could ask the unis concerned for a detailed breakdown of their international programme teaching staff and their backgrounds, but I doubt they'd give it to you.

The only 'inside' information I can proffer is that I used to teach a few modules on international business programmes at IIS Ramkhamhaeng Uni a few years ago. The lecturers I came across were mainly American 'guest' lecturers of the type I've outlined above, also some from the UK and Europe (Germany and Austria, for some reason). One or two were effectively full-time and settled in Thailand. Mainly they had PhDs, but some had Masters' or professional qualifications and experience from the West. I've also come across some western lecturers teaching on international programmes at Bangkok Uni who appeared to be well-qualified and professional types. It's difficult for me to say objectively how 'good' the IIS lecturers were in their particular fields, but IIS itself was professionally run and a decent place to work, at least. However, I have heard (from a poster on another website) that IIS has apparently gone downhill, somewhat, and is no longer attracting the calibre of western lecturers that it was. I cannot verify this as I don't even live in Thailand any more.

Edited by paully

Lorin...

I received a BBA at Mahidol Univerity International College. I enjoyed it and over-all the quality of education was good. All instruction/tests/books are in English and about 50% of the professors were westerners (a higher percentage in the Social Sciences departments). Also most of the Thai professors were educated in the west at some point (either BBA, Masters or Doctorate).

Sure, there were some professors that I liked less than others, but I do not regret transfering there from the univeristy I was attending in the US. Part of the program also includes an internship element and I have been working at the Thai company where I did my internship for quite some time now.

If you have any specific questions send me a PM. I can put you in touch with some of the teachers/administrators in BBA office if you want to speak with them.