Leaving The Country With Retirement Visa

I have a retirement visa and am planning a trip out of the country next week. Do I have to obtain a re-entry visa from immigration before I leave; or can I obtain when I arrive back (without impacting my retirement visa). Assuming the former, what do they require apart from a fee (e.g. photos)?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hugh

The quicker answer (if your internet sucks today, like mine) is yes, unless your current visa is multiple entry, you must get a re-entry visa before you get stamped out of the country. Unless you don't mind getting a new visa from scratch, of course.

I'll bet that link gives the details of all that :o

Heres the link for sucking internets ...and yes it does.... :D

How to get a reentry permit

Explaining reentry permits

If you have an extension of stay in your passport, you will ned a reentry permit if you plan to travel outside Thailand for short period.

The best is to obtain your re-entry permit at Don Muang International Airport, just before Immigration counter. Re-entry Permit counter is on the 3rd floor of Departure Hall, International Passenger Terminal 1. Immigration at Phuket International Airport also provide reentry permits in the departure hall.

FEES: The fee for a re-entry permit is (as per 2003-08-26):

1,000 Baht for single re-entry

3,800 Baht for multiple re-entry

Bring 2 color photos, passport, copy of passport (main page and recent entry stamp). The application form is simple to fill in and at the Airport the waiting time is minimal, approx. 10-20 minutes.

The processing time at Thai Immigration Suan Pluh, can vary from 1 hours to half a day, so if you prefer to queue, apply before lunch so you you can pick it up later the same day.. You can apply in person or via agent (requires Letter of Attorney). Pick up can be done by courier presenting your green receipt.

On your return to Thailand, don't forget to note the reentry permit number on your Immigration arrival card (TM-card) and check that you are stamped in correctly. The latter is very important.

Holders of multiple Non-Immigrant visas do not need re-entry permit, as they will get a new 90 days entry stamp on arrival. You only need reeentry permit if you have a short or long time extension that you want to keep. :o

Absolutely correct information, although I would recommend to visit the immigration office rather than obtining the re-entry at the airport.

At the airport you must apply AFTER check-in with you boarding pass in hand.

It can be a long way from Terminal 2 over to 1 and back. If your flight is at off-times you might have to locate the person in charge etc.

Absolutely correct information, although I would recommend to visit the immigration office rather than obtining the re-entry at the airport.

At the airport you must apply AFTER check-in with you boarding pass in hand.

It can be a long way from Terminal 2 over to 1 and back. If your flight is at off-times you might have to locate the person in charge etc.

Out of curiousity, what happens if someone with a single entry "O" leaves & tries to come back?

1.  If he obtains a re entry permit he enters on that and stays until the date on it (original entry time).

2.  If no re entry permit he obtains a 30 day stamp if eligible.

As you might have guessed, the query isn't quite hypothetical. My wife, in Thailand on an "O", retirement category, with a single entry visa, needed to make a quick trip home to visit her ailing mother, not realizing that it might be problemmatical, just bought a ticket and left. She doesn't need to do her 90 day check-in until June 17 (if that's relevent) and just wants to return to Chiang Mai in a couple weeks. What should she do? Thanks for any help.

1.  If he obtains a re entry permit he enters on that and stays until the date on it (original entry time).

2.  If no re entry permit he obtains a 30 day stamp if eligible.

As you might have guessed, the query isn't quite hypothetical. My wife, in Thailand on an "O", retirement category, with a single entry visa, needed to make a quick trip home to visit her ailing mother, not realizing that it might be problematical, just bought a ticket and left. She doesn't need to do her 90 day check-in until June 17 (if that's relevent) and just wants to return to Chiang Mai in a couple weeks. What should she do? Thanks for any help.

Is she retired or you? If her she will need to start over. But suspect she is here as your dependent so she should probably obtain a new single entry before she returns (or at least a tourist visa that can then be changed here).

But a single entry visa only allows a stay of 90 days in any case so she is probably here on an extension of stay and they normally put a stamp in passport saying a re entry permit is required to keep it alive.

She does not have to report 90 days as she is not here. Ninety day clock will start again when she returns. She should contact the nearest Royal Thai Consulate next week to obtain a visa.